Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EASY DOES IT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

tunguska wrote: »
    So true VR. Its all about momentum. If youre smoking something just keels over and gives up inside with regards to training. But when youre not smoking the momentum is completely different. Same goes for junk food I find.
    Youre doing well VR, keep up that positive momentum.

Today is day 4 off the dreaded cigs. I found A BOX in the room this am. didnt want to throw them out but will give em away later.

Today was the long one. Didnt do one over the last 2 weeks which was at the time i was smoking.

Went to the gym put the incline up to 1%. Up to 13kph for every hour.I was stopping as i hit 8 miles and starting again. After two hours i changed tops as it was ringing wet. I had 16 miles done that stage. I was hoping to do 24 but after 2 weeks with none I felt 24 would have been too much of a jump(Rubbish , I was cruising at 18,20 and then as i hit 22 i had no company and just felt tired. I had 38 miles up to today so 60 after today rounded it off very nicely)

so todays session 22 miles @ 7.25 a mile. Good session. Even had a banana as i ran on the threadmill with an energy bar and a couple of dairymilk squares. job done for the day. Another one before the new year is the plan. see how it goes.
    I am really looking forward to going back on the road yet the break has done me no harm from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yer feckin' bananas but fair play to your dedication :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Yer feckin' bananas but fair play to your dedication :)

+1, lots of nuts in with those bananas. The only long run I did on the dreadmill was a 15 miler in a gym; after 5 miles the other members were wondering when I'd stop, after 10, looking at me weird, after 15, worried about my sanity. I'm sure they had the men in white coats ready for you after 22;)
    But fair play, now break up those fags you found or you'll "reward" your long run. 2010 should be good for you VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

22 on a treadmill :eek:

Fair play VR!

Peckham wrote: »
    22 on a treadmill :eek:

Fair play VR!

Thanks lads.
    Today a 4.5 mile at a leisurely 7.40 a miles in suprise suprise the gym.

• Advertisement

Todays the last run in the gym for a while.
    Hopefully anyway. 9 miles with 2 x 2 miles at 6 min mile pace. I felt really tired today. Had planned to do a 3 x 2 mile but legs felt dead. Done 2 and lucky to manage them. mondays hard one wednesdays 22 or maybe it was yesterdays 6 mince pies and cream with probaly 25 roses. Put a half cheesecake on that no wonder my stomach was dodgy.
    Weather seems to be picking up.
    73.5 miles for the week and all on the threadmill. Should be feeling good tomorrow for maybe a double(low mileage one) a fast one monday and a long one tuesday........

10 miles today with 10km at 6.12 a mile on hte threadmill with a 1% incline. After a few fast ones yest I felt tired but wanted to get it out of the way.
    Diet atrocious to say the least. Got a chinese after it with all the trimmings. Wait till the new year to go on a DIET........I hate that word.

Feic this ice. Its now 15 days since i ran outside.
    Today the threadmill again. 11.5 miles @ 7.24 a mile. Felt great but 9 choccie Kimberly put paid to that. Purple snacks in the press are now going to get a beating. New years day here i come.
    I feel i am in great shape yet it will be a month till i produce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Man you deserve a medal for all that running on the dreadmill. I couldn't.

Went for a 8 mile with a hard 10km for a mate. He was trying to break 41 min but he will have to break 43 first. ha ha...........
    As i was parking the car for a swim I met another mate who wanted to go for 10km so off we went. So over 14 miles. On the road with 5 miles on gravel.
    35 miles done for the week and its only tuesday. Plan is to take of friday or saturday. Butv will go with feel. I have 3 long ones done to date. All have been on hte threadmill so I want to do one outside for a change. So by the end of the year have a 4th one done and kick start 2010.
    fast work also going well.

Tomorrow all going well i might try a marathon paced run that I read about.

Hope to do 1 hour on the bike later. The spinning bike doesnt get have enough use.

• Advertisement

After another disaster of a night eating wise. A pringle head(once i pop i cant stop)
    I had planned to do a 5 x 5k at 20 min per 5k with 1 min recovery.

Started the session with a 2 mile warm up.
    The first 4 of the 5kms although an effort i found it manageable. On the fifth rep as the sweat streamed through me i got terrible stomach cramps. I had drank water that was in the bag or maybe it was the pigging session i had last night. A quick visit was made to sort mother nature and I hadnt time nor the stomach to finish the session. I had 1.4km of the fifth rep. Going mad as i hate stopping a session although it was 90% complete.

Overall i cant complain. Ran 13.3 miles at 6.25 min mile pace so life aint that bad. Plenty of stamina there.
    Ran more than 15 miles making it 50 since sunday.
    New years resolution thinking time. Is 2.50 realistic in 2010 ??
    Motivation is there. Discipline ????

Reading your log recently you definitely sound as if you have the discipline to do it. You are setting yourself lofty targets and heavy mileage demands at this time of year. If you can do 50 miles at this time of year in a few days you'll definitely have the enthusiasm to do it when the evenings get longer and the weather picks up. BTW, you deserve your pringles with sessions like 5 x 5k!

Reading your log recently you definitely sound as if you have the discipline to do it. You are setting yourself lofty targets and heavy mileage demands at this time of year. If you can do 50 miles at this time of year in a few days you'll definitely have the enthusiasm to do it when the evenings get longer and the weather picks up. BTW, you deserve your pringles with sessions like 5 x 5k!

Thanks mick.
    How much i really want it will be shown in my log over the nxt few months.
    I am just too heavy to run 2.50 for a marathon. A stone lighter i have a decent shot.
    Its just to stay of the rubbish early in the day. I will train most nights at 8pm during the week so it will stop me picking for the night.
    There is no doubting i put the work. I have nearly 5 weeks to the dungarvan 10 miler. If the nxt 5 weeks go well I should have a crack at 60 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I have nearly 5 weeks to the dungarvan 10 miler. If the nxt 5 weeks go well I should have a crack at 60 min.

I am not doing a whole lot the last few weeks VR,i will put in 3 good weeks pre-dungarvan though,and i will be dissapointed if i dont break 62.
    So,with what your doing,sub 60 is very possible.
    Obviously you will be quicker with less weight,but its not stopping you do the tough sessions you have been doing recently,so i dont thnink that will hinder your chances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

New years resolution thinking time. Is 2.50 realistic in 2010 ??
    Motivation is there. Discipline ????

VR enjoying your last few entries. Don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for you that you can't get outside these days , but great commitment to the indoor running.
    If you could manage to loose maybe 3kg that would do wonders on the day.
    Dungarvan ya sub 60 sounds good and also for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Abhainn wrote: »
    If you could manage to loose maybe 3kg that would do wonders on the day.

Losing 3kg would save you 12 seconds a mile ( apparently )
    Someone told me a while back that for every lb in weight you lose,thats 2s per mile faster you can run.
    Believe it if you want,i'm sceptical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Doing some trojan work on the treadmill there - here's some faster workouts the rugby club I was involved with used to do...

1 - 3k time trial. After a warm up, you can put the TM to any speed you want, then jump on and start the time from there (i.e. you don't have to waste 10secs going from zero up to 3k speed). One very athletic junior got under 10min (9.55), a few got under 11 mins (they played for their country), most were in the 11's with some of the forwards in the 12's and one out at 13.30. 15kph all the way would be 12mins, 20 all the way 9 mins...

2 - 20 20's. There were 10 levels of incline, so the TM was put to 20kph, then they had to do 20 secs at incline 1, rest for 20secs, then 20secs at incline 2, rest for 20s and so on up to incline 10 and then back down again, so you're doing 20 reps, 20secs each at 20kph gradually getting steeper and steeper, and then flater and flatter again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

agree with the lads about

22miles on a treadmill :eek:
    fags :eek:

Your dedication and mental fortitude is unquestionable. Your method somewhat crazy. But hey you certainly got potential :D

Well done on the ergo progress, I'm sure you were feeling both stronger and sweating profusely after the 30mins at 2:14 effort ;)

If you want to improve upper body strength quickly I've a simple challenge for ya. Do just 1 set of press ups to fail 5 mornings a week until you can do 100. Take a before and after pic even because I promise you will not just feel stronger but notice a change in physique too. It will compliment the rowing nicely. The rowing will develop (apart from the legs), your back, shoulders, core and arms. It tends to neglect the chest so the pressups are a good exercise to balance the upper body strength development overall.

Doing some trojan work on the treadmill there - here's some faster workouts the rugby club I was involved with used to do...

1 - 3k time trial. After a warm up, you can put the TM to any speed you want, then jump on and start the time from there (i.e. you don't have to waste 10secs going from zero up to 3k speed). One very athletic junior got under 10min (9.55), a few got under 11 mins (they played for their country), most were in the 11's with some of the forwards in the 12's and one out at 13.30. 15kph all the way would be 12mins, 20 all the way 9 mins...

2 - 20 20's. There were 10 levels of incline, so the TM was put to 20kph, then they had to do 20 secs at incline 1, rest for 20secs, then 20secs at incline 2, rest for 20s and so on up to incline 10 and then back down again, so you're doing 20 reps, 20secs each at 20kph gradually getting steeper and steeper, and then flater and flatter again.

Thanks for that. I see the 3km as a challenge. Will let you know how i get on. What kinda speed are we talking for the 20 20 challenge. Am i to slow up as i incline higher ??

MCOS wrote: »
    agree with the lads about

22miles on a treadmill :eek:
    fags :eek:

Your dedication and mental fortitude is unquestionable. Your method somewhat crazy. But hey you certainly got potential :D

Well done on the ergo progress, I'm sure you were feeling both stronger and sweating profusely after the 30mins at 2:14 effort ;)

If you want to improve upper body strength quickly I've a simple challenge for ya. Do just 1 set of press ups to fail 5 mornings a week until you can do 100. Take a before and after pic even because I promise you will not just feel stronger but notice a change in physique too. It will compliment the rowing nicely. The rowing will develop (apart from the legs), your back, shoulders, core and arms. It tends to neglect the chest so the pressups are a good exercise to balance the upper body strength development overall.

Challenge i love em.
    Press ups def will do it. Sceptical about the photo though.
    Must get into the ergo again. Hard to get time for everything. Will get to it over the weekend.

Today was a leisurely 11.5 miles at 7.15 min mile pace. Was suprised how easy it felt. left knee was a little sore after it.

Sosa, abhainn
    I am sick to my boll**** talking about losing weight. Talk is cheap.
    I have the strongest willpower going in generabut when it goes to food and fags i am a disaster. Chances are i might smoke after my nxt marathon but if i can get thru that day there is no going back.
    When it comes to grub i am a pig. Going to start a personal food log tomorrow although i started my healthy eating yesterday.

3 boxes of sweats in the house that i want to give em away. Do nt want the temptation.
    Did anyone notice the qauality of the roses this year ?? Tasteless. An orange one doesnt even taste orange anymore. Still didnt stop me eating them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

3 boxes of sweats in the house that i want to give em away. Do nt want the temptation.
    Did anyone notice the qauality of the roses this year ?? Tasteless. An orange one doesnt even taste orange anymore. Still didnt stop me eating them though.

Smoking is bad, 22 miles on a treadmill is mad, but there's no excuse for eating orange roses. But if you have to eat them, do it tonight - cause you won't be eating another one till after r'dam. :)

VR, you're doing more miles than me and I eat all sorts of crap - and can average 2 dinners a day during the week - but I find the running keeps my way down at a constant 11 st / 70kg. I wouldn't have thought you'd need to curtail things diet wise as if you are running enough you should be able to eat all round you.

Best of luck with the continued training. F*** those fags away and the times will come.

VR, you're doing more miles than me and I eat all sorts of crap - and can average 2 dinners a day during the week - but I find the running keeps my way down at a constant 11 st / 70kg. I wouldn't have thought you'd need to curtail things diet wise as if you are running enough you should be able to eat all round you.

Best of luck with the continued training. F*** those fags away and the times will come.

Fags are gone 11 days now(last saturday week was my last one touch wood. Bought the patches. I hate em but when i start i cant stop. A bit like the rubbish. Reckon i am 13st 10 today the first of jan. If i get to 13st by 31st jan I will break the hour for the ten miles. Now thats my nxt challenge. Going to keep my own log of nutrition.

Tuesday night from 8pm I had
    chunky kit kat
    18 heroes
    Half a currant soda
    2 slices of brown bread
    Bowel of cornflakes.

I work a few hours in a bar and a night could include 4-5 purple snacks bag on large peanuts and a little box of pringles. In fairness i get away with murder for what i eat but if i wasnt doing 70 miles a week running and more training i would be in bother. I reckon keeping hte diary and writing down everything(On a bad day i tend to forget about a packet of biccies i might have had) and persuade myself i had a decent day.

Now i know why i had to stop on hte last of my 5 x 5k threadmill at pmp or a little quicker on wednesday.
    reckon I could have a serious year by my standards if i got it right. I dont have many years left that i will keep improving. Time will tell.

Thanks for that. I see the 3km as a challenge. Will let you know how i get on. What kinda speed are we talking for the 20 20 challenge. Am i to slow up as i incline higher ??

Stay at 20kph all the time.

For the 3k, when i did it first I wasn't a runner but played as bit of football and managed 12.30ish. Got a bit obsessed with it then and did it all the time, getting it down to a best of 10.36 after a few months. Have managed 9.36 on the track since but I reckon running that fast is a lot harder on the TM for some reason. Seems like just 10mins of running on the TM, can't be that bad, but you'll be buckled.

Another good one is just 2k as fast as you can on the rower. One of the friends brother's was on reading's books a few years ago and in pre-season they had to do it in 7mins. He was obviously very fit being a professional footballer, but he said if he got under 7, he had to just lie on the couch for the day, probably getting sick. I never tried that, but used to try as far as we can in 10mins, used do it with alongside another fellow as a challenge, and got to around 2,800 I think.

All these challenges, you'll be wasting away no matter what you eat :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Another good one is just 2k as fast as you can on the rower. One of the friends brother's was on reading's books a few years ago and in pre-season they had to do it in 7mins. He was obviously very fit being a professional footballer, but he said if he got under 7, he had to just lie on the couch for the day, probably getting sick. I never tried that, but used to try as far as we can in 10mins, used do it with alongside another fellow as a challenge, and got to around 2,800 I think.

The ultimate lung buster.
    My GAA team mates used to try the 2,500m rowing time trial distance. The best anyone achieved was 8min 44sec (He was a county lad). I managed a 8min 55secs once. More power then.

Sorry for highjacking this VR

Abhainn wrote: »
    The ultimate lung buster.
    My GAA team mates used to try the 2,500m rowing time trial distance. The best anyone achieved was 8min 44sec (He was a county lad). I managed a 8min 55secs once. More power then.

Sorry for highjacking this VR

Fire away Abhainn. More challenges the better.

Today after a late night and early morning I woke up to the challenge of do as many press ups to fail. Would i do them on te carpet as i would find it easier. I decided against and done it on the wooden floor. 43 I managed. Might not be alot for experienced campaigners but i reckon i will get up to 100 within 3 weeks.
    So to the 2nd challenge a 3km time trial on the threadmill put forward by Racing Flat. 2 mile warm up and i felt tired. Easier not to do it but i wanted to see what i would do. Put gradient at 1% which works for me. I reckon its accurate.
    I worked out that at 18km i would do it in 10 min. So off i went. First km tough but manageable. My friend a 2.50 marathon runner came in and wanted a chat. As i hit the mile i was started to struggle. All i wanted was to hit 2km and i promised i would stop. As 2km loomed up by buddy was taking alot of interest so i decided i would go for the 1.5 mile. The pain was at a 9.5 at this stage. At 2.75 I pushed it up too 19.5kph as i wanted to go under 10 min. Finished in 9.57. Twas tough.

Finished it with a 4 mile warm down totalling 8.5 for the day and 70 for last 6 days. Def wont run tomorrow.
    10 min on the rower with 15 min weights and core work.

No running today as i had my 6 days done and my 70 miles done.
    woke up to 50 press ups. done 40 last night before bed and i felt it this am.
    30 min weights
    30 min bike
    10 min Rowing.
    Felt tired today so didnt want to do too much.

Plan is to do 20 tomorrow.
    Diet last 3 days very good. Treated myself to a lovely scone this am after the workout. Sure i deserved it. The famous last words.

That 9.57 is very impressive, specially considering you added the 1% incline :eek:. The team I was involved with was a pro rugby team, a few Internationals and only 1 got under the 10, no one else very near (and they always did it on the flat). Savage, good on you. I'd say you've laid down a target for a few readers now :).

That 9.57 is very impressive, specially considering you added the 1% incline :eek:. The team I was involved with was a pro rugby team, a few Internationals and only 1 got under the 10, no one else very near (and they always did it on the flat). Savage, good on you. I'd say you've laid down a target for a few readers now :).

Every threadmill is different. This is a good one in a gym. Tend to use the same one all the time. I reckon the 1% incline is like running on the road. Will have a crack at it on the track again in 10 days time. I doubt i will match it but you never know. You would run faster on the track i would be the opposite i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'd say you've laid down a target for a few readers now :).

hhmmm....:cool:

Advertisement