Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EASY DOES IT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Usual sunday run after 3.5 hours sleep. It was a real struggle early on. I have the watch in kms. I find it handier for marathons even if the markers are in miles. Myself and another runner(sub 2.45 set out) for my long one and maybre a 10 miler for himself. Another quality runner joined us. And then another qaulity one. Here i was running with lads that are well above me. Stomach wasnt great and i was tired. After 2 miles i said in my head i would do 10 as i was feeling it. We went through 10 miles of undulating run in 75 min(a cake walk for one of the group who would run sub 2.30 marathon in his sleep). I met another friend who i had planned to meet so i let the boys kick on(I never let lads F*** up my session. I have a plan and i stick to it.. ~Had to make a pit stop at 12 miles. Felt better after it and continued. Finished with 20 miles which i was delighted with at 7.45 pace that although slow it felt harder and i dont like pushing my long runs. ~I like to be fresh for my fast work.

Good start to the week. I am concerned that mallow wont be on with roads and bad forecast so will do my 70 miles this week. If its on i could do a 63 odd on tired legs i reckon.

Monday 4th
    8 miles at lunch time. You guessed it the threadmill.....28 for the week and only 2 days old.
    7.40 pace but wasnt bouncing by any stretch of the imagination.
    20 min weights after it. 2 hour lunch breaks are deadly(flexi). You can get 12 miles in on a good day. Only problem is you have to make up the time.
    A person with 25 marathons behind them asked me to do up a schedule for them. My simple answer was do no more than 2 a year. I couldnt manage 3 hard. I would get a buzz if she got a pb and why not ???

Tonight as i arsed around i went amok with the grub. All choccies are now offically gone thank god.
    Tomorrow is session day. Hope to get to the track but wont do anything silly.........

Left work early yesterday to do a half marathon at pmp............Forgot that the gym was closed. Disaster as i had planned the week around that run. Ended up doing nothing. A day off but i felt guilty...............

Today
    I felt slugglish but i took an extended lunch break.
    Hoped to do half marathon at 6.25 a mile. Arrived at 12.45 and i had to be back in work by 2.30 so time was tight. No machine available for 2-3 min which scuppered my plans.
    11 miles at 6.25
    I decided to push the last mile and done 5.29 so there was plenty left in the session. It was done at a 1 per cent gradient which is about right i reckon.
    I ran a 1.23.52 all out half in June(i can now do it in training abeit a threadmill) so i feel things are heading the right way.

45 miles since sunday. Easy tomorrow.

Pm 5 miles at 7.40 pace.
    30 min weights.
    All in all a great days training.

Today an easy 10 miles at 7.30 a mile. 55 for the week so i am on track for the 70 again this week. Getting sick of the threadmill though.
    Nutrition getting better though and i hope to be good till Dungarvan 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I ran a 1.23.52 all out half in June(i can now do it in training abeit a threadmill) so i feel things are heading the right way

How much easier is it on the dreadie ?
    even with the 1% gradient,you have no wind or proper hills,traffic,stopping at junctions etc...for me,its hard to get a true value out of that session for you.
    I would like to see you do the same on the road soon at the same effort and see where you get.
    To spit out 11x6:25 on the road in training would really test the boundries,you didnt even do that training for Berlin.

I have never even ran one mile on the dreadie.
    I was out in freezing fog tonight,i think i had to much clothes on,i was roasting.

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    How much easier is it on the dreadie ?
    even with the 1% gradient,you have no wind or proper hills,traffic,stopping at junctions etc...for me,its hard to get a true value out of that session for you.
    I would like to see you do the same on the road soon at the same effort and see where you get.
    To spit out 11x6:25 on the road in training would really test the boundries,you didnt even do that training for Berlin.

I have never even ran one mile on the dreadie.
    I was out in freezing fog tonight,i think i had to much clothes on,i was roasting.

Agree with you 100 Per cent.
    I would like to see myself do it on the road as well but the way the roads are at the moment i dont have a choice. I have a lad to run a half with me in 85 when this clears.
    I just feel that i am improving. Maybe i am wrong. I will find out in dungarvan for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I'm not knocking the session,stilll hard to do threadmill or not.
    If that was me,i would want to know what that relates to on the road,but then again thats an impossible question to answer as all days are different,how you feel,weather etc...
    Don't mind me,i just typed what i was thinking.
    you are clearly improving.

During my training for Dublin,i hit 60 once and 55 3/4 times and i thought that was huge mileage.
    The 3 weeks before the half in december i ran 4 consecutive 55m weeks and it was a hell of alot easier that the ones i did training for Dublin.
    Its obvious,you just get stronger with more mileage.
    This week has been a nightmare for me so far,hope to rectify that Tomorrow and Sat.to try get 50 for the week.
    The next 2 will be 60m weeks and then a handy week the week of the race.

Sosa wrote: »
    I'm not knocking the session,stilll hard to do threadmill or not.
    If that was me,i would want to know what that relates to on the road,but then again thats an impossible question to answer as all days are different,how you feel,weather etc...
    Don't mind me,i just typed what i was thinking.
    you are clearly improving.

I like your honesty. I struggle to run hard on my own on the road. 18 days of hard training to go. I want to do the half in 1.25 like i used to do 3 months before other marathons.

Up at 6.30. Mrs told me to be quiet and not wake the kids. Put on the shoes and didnt tie them. Afraid to take out a pot to put hot water in to thaw out the car. -12 in the car waiting for it to thaw a little. Realised when i got out of the car at the gym i had odd shoes on. Wat can you do.

This mornings session was supposed to be a fartlek but i decided after a 2 mile warm up that i would go at 6 min mile pace and do a mile. This led to 2 and it just felt ok so i did the 10km at that pace. 37.30 for the 10km which i felt was like a hard tempo but not near race pace. 1 per gradient but time will tell if i can bring it out on the road.
    total 10 miles in 65 min. Another good session even if on the threadie. Only out 4 days on the road/grass in nearly 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

you seem to be in great form there VR, don't know how your able to do so much threadmill running. Is it possible for you to do some running on grass? Obviously the ground is hard as a rock and even iced over in places, but at least it breaks the monotony.

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    you seem to be in great form there VR, don't know how your able to do so much threadmill running. Is it possible for you to do some running on grass? Obviously the ground is hard as a rock and even iced over in places, but at least it breaks the monotony.

Done 20 last sunday on grass. I wont my season running on icy roads. Hope to do a long one again sunday on the grass. When this weather does get better i will be out on the road more.

Saturday
    7.5 miles on the threadie @ 7.25 per mile. After doing leg weights friday my legs and glutes were really sore. Although pace was easy it wasnt that easy. 20 min weights.

Sunday
    20 miles on GRASS yes grass lads. It involved 51 laps of a hurling field with a bit more added. The snow was very soft and involved slipping a little. 8 min miles although they felt alot quicker. Group sessions are the way to go. Had a 2.45 man with me all the way around. Running with lads that bit quicker than you brings you on. Fact.

Start to another week with a 20 is great(mentally)

Looked back over my log for last 8 weeks. Average over 66 miles a week. I seemed to have got used to that mileage now. I seemed to have improved so i might step it up to 80 a week from 70 for a month and see how i get on. Must have a look how i can schedule it in. A couple of double days but i have to take a day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sunday
    20 miles on GRASS yes grass lads. It involved 51 laps of a hurling field with a bit more added.

When I read "grass", I thought, thank god, he managed to get outside, away from the monotony of the treadmill- then I read the rest!:eek:

51 laps- you're some man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

. It involved 51 laps of a hurling field with a bit more added.

Next you be doing that 24hr running around a track with Enduro:D
    Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

You really like too torture yourself, I would need a brain off a goldfish too attempt that, 3 laps and I would be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Saturday

20 miles on GRASS yes grass lads. It involved 51 laps of a hurling field with a bit more added.

I feel dizzy

I had company yesterday so the laps werent that bad.

Today am 9 miles in the sludgy snow involved around 23 laps of the field. The deodrant shower after it aint for me as i like my warm shower before heading back to work.

PM 7 miles @ 7.40 per mile with a 20 min weights session.

The plan is to step it up to 80 miles for the nxt 2 weeks. See how the body copes with it.
    I never ran as many miles the day after a long one. It was like yesterday didnt take much out of me.

Felt stiff and tired this am.
    Got to the gym at 8.20am because the slodgy roads didnt appeal to me. By the end of the week hopefully i will be back outside.
    9.5 miles this am with 5 x 2km at 6 min mile pace. Felt like a endurance session. Pushed the gradient up to 2 for the 3rd,4th and 5th. Even the 1st one felt hard today but 36 miles in two days had to take its toll on a 14st big boy.
    Last two were an ordeal when i was just wishing the minutes away.

Tonight 5 miles at 7.17 pace. Felt really hard but i just slogged it out. Could wait to finish but i know that tomorrow will be better.

Today all in all 14.5 miles making it 50.5 for the 3 days.
    Breaks the back into the week and the rest of the week is handy(30 miles over 4 days) Hope to get out on the bike saturday for a long spin. It helped me shed weight during the summer and I think it was the major reason i broke three. I was able to cycle for 50 miles the day after a long one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I don't understand how your not shifting the weight will all the training, imagine if you stopped training ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

50.5 miles in 3 days? fair fcuks to you VR. 'easy does it' - seriously you need a new title for this log - certainly not taking it easy on yourself.

I find the bike really helps with the weight, you just spend so long on it that you burn so many calories. like on a 3 hour cycle you prob burn 1500 calories, whereas running you d only do that on a 20miler and id always feel way fresher after long ccyle and could train hard the next day.

The bike is defo a big supplementary tool.

best of luck with the goals

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    50.5 miles in 3 days? fair fcuks to you VR. 'easy does it' - seriously you need a new title for this log - certainly not taking it easy on yourself.

I find the bike really helps with the weight, you just spend so long on it that you burn so many calories. like on a 3 hour cycle you prob burn 1500 calories, whereas running you d only do that on a 20miler and id always feel way fresher after long ccyle and could train hard the next day.

The bike is defo a big supplementary tool.

best of luck with the goals

I agree that the bike is a great plus.
    Heff you are dead right. I would be feiced if i gave up the training.

Today 10 miles at 7.25 min pace. It felt tough. Left hip a little sore. Booked physio for nxt wednesday. 30 min core strength and weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kennyb3 wrote: »
    like on a 3 hour cycle you prob burn 1500 calories, whereas running you d only do that on a 20miler and id always feel way fresher after long ccyle and could train hard the next day.
    You must be very light kennyb3! I burn about 100 calories a mile (11 stone). I'd imagine VR would be burning slightly more per mile.
    Great running VR. I hope it pays off for you. A good few weeks into the training, do you feel like you're building up speed?

You must be very light kennyb3! I burn about 100 calories a mile (11 stone). I'd imagine VR would be burning slightly more per mile.
    Great running VR. I hope it pays off for you. A good few weeks into the training, do you feel like you're building up speed?

Race in 18 days. PB over 10 is 62.32. I should run that at tempo now. Hope to have crack at the hour. Will go thru halfway in 30 and see how i am then. 18 days been strict on myself should get me 7ibs lighter.
    If i got to 12st 7ibs i could run a serious time in march. In reality i dont think i will ever get to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

Been a similar weight myself in the past,train hard(which you are doing)and eat plain foods.
    that 3days of big miles will stand to you,allow your body chance to absord it by plenty of sleep.how many hours you get a night?
    have you a sweet tooth?

Been a similar weight myself in the past,train hard(which you are doing)and eat plain foods.
    that 3days of big miles will stand to you,allow your body chance to absord it by plenty of sleep.how many hours you get a night?
    have you a sweet tooth?

At least 7 hours sleep mon to friday sat 4 sun 10.
    I think all my feckin teeth are sweet !!! A real binger. Going to watch what i eat from now to dungarvan. going to eat 6 cafe noir a day. But there not much in them(equals the same as a slice of toast and low fat butter). If i dont have a good two weeks i will know by my time and that kick me on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Getting in some big miles there. gonna be looking at some nice pbs.

you doing dungarvan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Ha ha i wish i was! getting there though.Ah you are totally right of course, i always just try to underestimate calorie loss (for my own head and eating habits), id would prob be about 700kcal per hour (therefore 2100 kcals for 3 hours).

sorry for hijacking the log VR. keep up the good work

ULstudent wrote: »
    Getting in some big miles there. gonna be looking at some nice pbs.

you doing dungarvan?

Thats my first race.
    Enniscorthy 10km, Kilmacthomas 5 Dungarvan 10km are three others i am looking at. Probaly race 2 of those with the other been a tempo.......Those weeks getting in a long one on hte tuesday is the key session of the week for me. If i dont get a long one in I wont run hte race.

Today 10.75 miles done after 9pm tonight. Worst and longest of my life. 8 min mile pace that felt way too quick for me today. Hope to run hard in the morning if i have the energy and i get to bed soon. Watching the paris marathon here on dvd. Sad. Tonights run was just getting it out of the way.

Friday 7 miles on the threadmill before work at 7.40. Felt alot better than thursday night but not good enough to run a fast one. whicj

Today was my rest day. 70km on the bike which was ok as a whole but tough at a few hills. Met a good lad at halfway and i would need to improve alot if i was to do an ironman in 2011. Still all in all a great weeks training. I aint able for 80 a week. Going to cut it back this week and throw in a three hour bike ride and maybe a fast hour on the spinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Today was my rest day. 70km on the bike which was ok .

Nice way to rest! :rolleyes:

Advertisement