Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EASY DOES IT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Race in 18 days. PB over 10 is 62.32. I should run that at tempo now. Hope to have crack at the hour. Will go thru halfway in 30 and see how i am then. 18 days been strict on myself should get me 7ibs lighter.
    If i got to 12st 7ibs i could run a serious time in march. In reality i dont think i will ever get to that.

To try to lose 7lbs over 18 days may be a few lbs too many. Be careful that you don't neglect the 'good' foods in your rush to drop the weight. With all your trianing you still need a lot of fuel in your tank. Try to stick to the 1-2-3 rule, i.e. daily calorie intake should be 1 part fat, 2 protein & 3 carbs.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'd go mad if I had to analyse my diet in terms of protein, carbs etc. If you run the miles you're running you should be able to eat all around you. I ate a fair portion of a family chinese meal last night and after my LSR this morning my weight was down.. just below 70kg. Look after the miles and the weight will look after itself I reckon. You are going well VR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Today after the usual 4 hours sleep if even that i set out on my 5 mile loop. I txted around many lads if they wanted to come on a run. So lads could use it as a fast 5 easy 10 etc........
    Ended up doing 23.5 miles at a decent 7.25 mile pace. I could have stayed going and ran a 3.15 marathon today without pushing it. After 78 mile week and a 44 mile bike ride yesterday with 15 weeks to go(maybe 14) training is going really well. Not goijng to be hard on myself re diet today after a long run like that.
    The 80 mile week wont be chanced again. 70 seems manageable with 2 sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Today after the usual 4 hours sleep if even that i set out on my 5 mile loop. I txted around many lads if they wanted to come on a run. So lads could use it as a fast 5 easy 10 etc........
    Ended up doing 23.5 miles at a decent 7.25 mile pace. I could have stayed going and ran a 3.15 marathon today without pushing it. After 78 mile week and a 44 mile bike ride yesterday with 15 weeks to go(maybe 14) training is going really well. Not goijng to be hard on myself re diet today after a long run like that.
    The 80 mile week wont be chanced again. 70 seems manageable with 2 sessions.
    Thats savage mileage bud. Excellent running. Just when i think my training is going well getting up to 60 two weeks ago and over 50 last week and this week. I come in and see this, very impressive:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's some running, and fantastic effort over the last week. With that much exercise you can really afford to forget about the diet. It'll look after itself, over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Thats savage mileage bud. Excellent running. Just when i think my training is going well getting up to 60 two weeks ago and over 50 last week and this week. I come in and see this, very impressive:D

Thanks lads.
    Savage mileage is great but it dont beat quality. I did 78 this week(great and all) but i only got 1 quality session in and that was on tired legs. I had 51 done after 3 days and felt shattered for the week. So in hindsight it wasnt great. To do the other 27 in the other 3 days felt too much like hard work and I didnt enjoy it. Running for me is enjoyment and the buzz and 80 to me is leading to overtraining. I am as addictive as it comes when it comes to running(alot of lads here in hte same boad) but i know my body. Its such a thin line. Thats why not following a programme suits me. Run on feel. Nxt week will be a slower long one as i have a race the following week.

Today was my 4th long one in four weeks and I really feel the benefits. Off hte ciggies 4 weeks today. It just says it all.
    So i would rather cut back to 65 miles with two quality workouts and get in two cycles.

So Oisin what i am saying is 80 isnt always better than 60.

Thanks lads.
    Savage mileage is great but it dont beat quality. I did 78 this week(great and all) but i only got 1 quality session in and that was on tired legs. I had 51 done after 3 days and felt shattered for the week. So in hindsight it wasnt great. To do the other 27 in the other 3 days felt too much like hard work and I didnt enjoy it. Running for me is enjoyment and the buzz and 80 to me is leading to overtraining. I am as addictive as it comes when it comes to running(alot of lads here in hte same boad) but i know my body. Its such a thin line. Thats why not following a programme suits me. Run on feel. Nxt week will be a slower long one as i have a race the following week.

Today was my 4th long one in four weeks and I really feel the benefits. Off hte ciggies 4 weeks today. It just says it all.
    So i would rather cut back to 65 miles with two quality workouts and get in two cycles.

So Oisin what i am saying is 80 isnt always better than 60.
    Yeah i totally agree mate. The 60 odd miles i did all had a purpose. A long slow one and recovery run after it. Everything else was run about 15 secs quicker than pace. Trying to get comfortable at that pace so my actual pace is a breeze. I can feel the benifits of it already. Wanna get under 3h30, i dont want it to become a monkey on my back. All my other distance times suggest i should breeze through it and ive done alot of long runs. I think it might be a bit psychilogical at this stage. I start feeling really bad at about 23 and i drop away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Look after the miles and the weight will look after itself I reckon.

thats true only up to a point. If you run the miles, you can eat whatever you like, but only in moderation. A typical buiscuit is around 60 calories, a packet of taytos is 150, a pint of guinness is 220...all adds up. You burn around a 100 calories per mile so you don't need to worry about having a few biscuits or the odd packet of crisps. But 5 pints of guiness and a macdonalds on an evening is an extra 2000 calories which would need a good 20 mile run to negate. If you're running 70 miles a week you can afford to eat 1000 calories of junk a day which is a lot....but you can easily consume that by going overboard...i.e 10 chocolate kimberly's is going to add up to around 1000 calories straight away.

One other point on diet is cheap processed food is generally higher in fat i.e a microwave lasagne or oven pizza can vary hugely in the fat content depending on the brand. fat tastes good and is cheaper, so the cheaper the product, the more quality ingredients are replaced by fat to keep the price down and the taste up. Worth looking at if you eat a lot of processed food.

I wouldn't try to dramatically lose any weight before the 10 miler though, just keep it steady, lose it slowly for the one that counts...the marathon.

on the weekly mileage....80 miles is probably too much for you right now, but you can build to it....60 mpw probably seems like a relatively easy week for you now whereas its not so long ago that you would have been exhausted after a 60 mile week. Easy does it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Gringo78 wrote: »

I wouldn't try to dramatically lose any weight before the 10 miler though, just keep it steady, lose it slowly for the one that counts...the marathon.

I'd agree with this. Try and roughly calculate how much calories/carbs etc you need to consume and stick to this. I have messed around with my diet in the past and personally I think you are better to be carrying an extra few pounds (in moderation obviously) than being bang on your target weight but being exhausted. A few years back I seen an alarming decrease in my training/performance and found out I wasn't consuming enough complex carbs, a week of additional carbs and I was training at a much higher level and it felt so much easier than the previous months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great stuff VR, Im really delighted to read that youve been off the smokes for 4 weeks. Youve well and truly broken its back at this stage. Just be careful and dont let your guard down. Smoking is a devious habit, you think you have it licked and then one night for no reason at all you find yourself with a smoke in your hand. So dont let your guard down.

Im jealous over the great training youre doing. I had a bad fall on the ice myself and did the lateral ligaments around my right knee, so Ive lost a bit of time and fitness as a result. Did 16miles yesterday and it knocked the stuffin' out of me, which is hugely depressing considering I was doing 25milers for fun just before crimbo. Sorry VR, Im hijacking your training log........

Anyway, do you know what the story is with Ballycotton? I see they posted the first 2500 entrants, but I entered under the club rule. Do you know when the final list of entrants will be posted?

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Great stuff VR, Im really delighted to read that youve been off the smokes for 4 weeks. Youve well and truly broken its back at this stage. Just be careful and dont let your guard down. Smoking is a devious habit, you think you have it licked and then one night for no reason at all you find yourself with a smoke in your hand. So dont let your guard down.

Im jealous over the great training youre doing. I had a bad fall on the ice myself and did the lateral ligaments around my right knee, so Ive lost a bit of time and fitness as a result. Did 16miles yesterday and it knocked the stuffin' out of me, which is hugely depressing considering I was doing 25milers for fun just before crimbo. Sorry VR, Im hijacking your training log........

Anyway, do you know what the story is with Ballycotton? I see they posted the first 2500 entrants, but I entered under the club rule. Do you know when the final list of entrants will be posted?

I dont know when the full list will be printed but if you have and i know you have, listed your club your in once you hit that date.
    Cigs yes 29 days.
    I didnt run on the ice at all mainly logged miles looking at a wall. Makes you mentally strong or just nuts. In 2-3 weeks you will be back. The break might be a godsend. I hope to be doing 24 milers for sport by the start of march. As you said if you do plenty of them they become like a long tempo(dread it all day but once you start you will be ok)

10 miles today with 4 x 4 min hard Heart Rate 154,156,164,162
    4 x 3 min harder 167,173,170,169
    Too finish 4 x 30seconds hard but not sprinting 157,167,163,165
    Inc a 2.5 mile warm and 1.5 warm down. good session but thats the joy of having 3 lads do a session.
    With mallow on 7th Feb i now am undecided to have my race in dungarvan or mallow. Will do both but one of them will be at pmp............

Had planned a half day today. Was to go put on the bike for 40 miles. Got held up in work for a while so i headed to the gym instead. Was sluggish after yesterdays session.
    80 min on the spinning bike with intervals thrown in to get the heart pumping.
    8.25 miles on the threadmill @ 7.10 a mile. Started off slowly by ran last 1.5 miles at 6 min a mile. Felt i could have ran for longer. Another good days training. Head a physio session after it for a tight hip. 30 min of torture Worse than any last 30 min of a marathon. But pain is only temporary.

Thursday
    Early morning gym session was all i could manage today. 8.25 miles at 7.10 a mile. Pushed the pace the last mile.

Friday
    Didnt feel as tired.
    2km warm up.
    Hard 10km @ 1% gradient in 36.14. Tired after 1km to be honest but slogged thru it. Warm down after it.

Pm 5 easy miles at 7.40 pace. Wanted to get a few extra miles in for the week.

Sat
    44 miles on the bike @ 16mph. Trying to practice proper technique. Unable to open the door when i got home although i did have keys. My fingers and feet were so cold it was unreal. Took me twenty minutes to get the feeling back. All i was told was to stop feeling sorry for myself and dont go cycling in future.

On a positive note i have lost a few ibs and maybe thats why i ran so well friday. Its all about dungarvan so time will tell. You might join me sosa for a crack at 60 ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Its all about dungarvan so time will tell. You might join me sosa for a crack at 60 ???

Not for me VR...I will be happy to walk away with sub 62 if i can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Thursday
    Hard 10km @ 1% gradient in 36.14. Tired after 1km to be honest but slogged thru it. QUOTE]

All your hard training is starting too pay off, thats a good run considering you were tired. Good to see your loosing the weight also, sub 60 should be well in your grasp now.

Thanks Heff. Still well behind you. I am always afraid of leaving it in training.
    We will see what happens in Dungarvan. I will know after 5 how i am fixed. Have a few lads with the same target to run with so it will be fun.

Today 20 mile @ 7.27 a mile. More or less the same pace as last weeks 23.5 miles but this felt hard all the way. Just tired after the week and the bike yesterday prob didnt help.

I take it that your planning an easy week in the lead up to next Sunday.
    The last 2m is tough from what i remember of last year,all will be achieved or lost there.

Sosa wrote: »
    I take it that your planning an easy week in the lead up to next Sunday.
    The last 2m is tough from what i remember of last year,all will be achieved or lost there.

Whats an easy week sosa ??
    I start my week on a sunday. So i have 20 in the bag already. I was thinking of 45 ??
    The last 2 miles it depends on the wind. With no wind its a long road. Just pick the nxt person ahead. I worked hard with a lad last year taking 300 metres each.
    Its just getting to 5 mile in no quicker than 29.50
    I will do a 5 miler on the track tuesday in 30 and see what its like(thats my session i think i will do this week) Has worked for me in hte past.

Whats an easy week sosa ??
    I start my week on a sunday. So i have 20 in the bag already. I was thinking of 45 ??
    The last 2 miles it depends on the wind. With no wind its a long road. Just pick the nxt person ahead. I worked hard with a lad last year taking 300 metres each.
    Its just getting to 5 mile in no quicker than 29.50
    I will do a 5 miler on the track tuesday in 30 and see what its like(thats my session i think i will do this week) Has worked for me in hte past.

I was thinking 45 myself....will keep it to that.
    Should be a good race...1200+ i believe registered.
    They better make plenty of sambo's :D

• Advertisement

Had planned 5 at sundays race pace but decided earlier in hte day through chat and thought that 4 would be a better option.

Done 1 mile warm up and 4 mile warm down slowly.

4 mile tempo was

23.18 for the 4 miles on the garmin but it was short on the track. Strange but it always happens to me. Garmin is way off on hte track yet very accurate on the road according to races.
    The other lad wanted to do 90 seconds a lap so it turned into a great session. Glad it was only 4 cos a sub 29 on the track 5 days beofre the race would be looking for trouble. I now know my working is starting to pay off. If its happens sunday in Dungarvan great if it sont i know it will happens very soon and london is the big picture.
    Todays effort was harder than what it should have been but have trained really hard all week.
    Easy from here till sunday and i wont run sub 7.30 a mile all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Garmin is way off on hte track yet very accurate on the road according to races.

Per Krusty on Beepbeeps logs a few days ago:

If you look at the tracklog overlaid on the satellite view of google maps, you can see that GPS watches just aren't great on a tight circular track. It's because the GPS accuracy is typically around 20-30 feet at best, and trackpoints are only recorded every x seconds. Try running in straight lines.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Had planned 5 at sundays race pace but decided earlier in hte day through chat and thought that 4 would be a better option.

Done 1 mile warm up and 4 mile warm down slowly.

4 mile tempo was

23.18 for the 4 miles on the garmin but it was short on the track. Strange but it always happens to me. Garmin is way off on hte track yet very accurate on the road according to races.
    The other lad wanted to do 90 seconds a lap so it turned into a great session. Glad it was only 4 cos a sub 29 on the track 5 days beofre the race would be looking for trouble. I now know my working is starting to pay off. If its happens sunday in Dungarvan great if it sont i know it will happens very soon and london is the big picture.
    Todays effort was harder than what it should have been but have trained really hard all week.
    Easy from here till sunday and i wont run sub 7.30 a mile all week.

You've got the right frame of mind there VR, looking at the big picture and all that. You should go great in Dungarvan as well though. I would love to get near the times your doing on the track for 5mls, never mind keeping it going for another 5.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

The other lad wanted to do 90 seconds a lap so it turned into a great session.

I read somewhere that running behind someone on a calm day is worth approx 5 sec/mile. Running behind someone into the wind can be worth up to 15-20sec/mile. Would any of your findings in track sessions running with other people/a group back this up?

I tend to have been not be too worried about running in a group in races up to now as I feel running on my own makes me stronger and will stand to me in future races as I get faster, but in Dungarvan, as its going to be windy, I'm going to pay a bit more attention to using other runners as shelter. If your race pace is 6:00, it would mean for example that your better off tagging along with a group running 5:50 into the wind than trying to run 6:00 on your own.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's some form you're showing there VR, and off the treadmill too, so you know the numbers are 'real world'. I'll be shouting for you (virtually!) on Sunday). It'd be a good motivator for all of us, if you can break the hour. Give us all something to aim for.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that running behind someone on a calm day is worth approx 5 sec/mile. Running behind someone into the wind can be worth up to 15-20sec/mile. Would any of your findings in track sessions running with other people/a group back this up?

I tend to have been not be too worried about running in a group in races up to now as I feel running on my own makes me stronger and will stand to me in future races as I get faster, but in Dungarvan, as its going to be windy, I'm going to pay a bit more attention to using other runners as shelter. If your race pace is 6:00, it would mean for example that your better off tagging along with a group running 5:50 into the wind than trying to run 6:00 on your own.....

6.10 into a wind would do me. 5.50 would kill me.

Thanks lads.

today was a handy 8 miles @ 8.05 pace. After yesterdays session I was happy to get this done.

Krusty I want to peak im march/apr but i would take a 60.30 now. However i will be having a go. If i blow up i blow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Krusty I want to peak im march/apr but i would take a 60.30 now. However i will be having a go. If i blow up i blow up.

Thats the spirit VR. He who dares wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

I'm loving the attitude. A race is a race and deserves all the effort you can give it. Best of luck and give it a good blast.

6.10 into a wind would do me. 5.50 would kill me.

Thanks lads.

today was a handy 8 miles @ 8.05 pace. After yesterdays session I was happy to get this done.

Good man, he who dares wins:D

• Advertisement

Today a handy 8 miles on the threadmill at 7.30 pace
    6 lengths of the pool(not bad for a lad wanting to do an ironmannxt year)

Advertisement