Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Topics

Options
  • 05-11-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I am currently doing a masters in Meteorology.

I just want to put the feelers out for some topics of interest that I could base my thesis on.

I want to avoid a mathsy one at all costs :) If possible.

My main interests are:

Weather forecasting
    Cloud formation
    Solar Radiation
    Basically the theory side of physical and synoptic meteorology (minus the maths of course)

I'm just seeing if u guys would have any interesting topics :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

How about the Effects on Snynoptic scale weatherfronts from an Ice Free Antartic during summers due to less reflection of Solar Radiation? :)

Do you mind me asking where abouts ur doing ur masters? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

thats a mouthful :)
    I think Ive found one I want to do thats college based.
    Im doing it in UCD. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

How can you avoid maths when studying meteorology? The whole field is based around maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Not with the one I have decided on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Misticles wrote: »
    Not with the one I have decided on :)

Well at least the future of Irish meteorology is in good hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Hi all, I am currently doing a masters in Meteorology.

I just want to put the feelers out for some topics of interest that I could base my thesis on.

I want to avoid a mathsy one at all costs :) If possible.

My main interests are:

Weather forecasting
    Cloud formation
    Solar Radiation
    Basically the theory side of physical and synoptic meteorology (minus the maths of course)

I'm just seeing if u guys would have any interesting topics :)

Thanks

How about "Lunar weather effects: Fact or Folklore?"

thats a mouthful :)
    I think Ive found one I want to do thats college based.
    Im doing it in UCD. :)

Ah cool......Im in Doing the B.Sc Climate and Earth System Science,
    hope to get to where u are in a few years. :)

Good luck wit the thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Hmm if it were me, I would probably choose global wind systems or weather extremes like hurricanes or lightning. These things are great for researching on. Or if you had your own weather station you could use the data you have collected and do a thesis on that. Its all up to what you find most interesting and what you can talk most about :D

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ah cool......Im in Doing the B.Sc Climate and Earth System Science,
    hope to get to where u are in a few years. :)

Good luck wit the thesis.

Wouldn't mind doing that course. :) Settled for environmental science instead. I'd say some of the stuff would cross over! :pac:

AH ye its a great course but the maths gets very annoyin at times.
    Still very interesting though and is exactly wat i wanna do, i just wish it was in DCU instead as its just down the road from me and not 2 buses away!
    Wat year ya in?

• Advertisement

Ah not too bad. :) I'm the opposite haha! UCD is too far for me to commute from. The courses they have there are great but I don't think I would like to study there. Its just too big of a place. DCU is just the right size:D I'm repeating just maths and chemisrty from first year. But I attend anything got to do with meteorology if I can! I'm actually doing a presentation in my old school before Christmas for a few science classes on extreme weather which should be fun. Would be great though if DCU followed suit with the sort of course you are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Iancar29 wrote: »
    AH ye its a great course but the maths gets very annoyin at times.
    Still very interesting though and is exactly wat i wanna do, i just wish it was in DCU instead as its just down the road from me and not 2 buses away!
    Wat year ya in?

Iancar29 i have the same plan as you -Bsc Climate & Earth System Science then Msc Meteorology- except I haven't started the degree yet! I'll be doing it through omnibus science DN008 as I have only Pass Maths and returning as a mature (hate that word, i'm only 24) student.

What year are you in? Is there a lot of Maths? What's your favourite aspect of the course so far?

Advertisement