Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on my motorbike website !

Options
  • 06-11-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have built a motorbike community website with jomsocial at the core and an online shop and forum. I haven't launched yet but I'd appreciate anyone going on and having a poke around and get some constructive feedback.

please check it out at www.motorbikecentral-ireland.com

Note the info is just test data at the moment !

Thanks !!!

Please be honest !!
    storm99

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It doesn't appear to be aligning correctly for me (FF 3.5.4 on 1280*800). Alignment is a bit better in IE8.
    The forum is going to be very narrow - maybe move the adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

True....not aligning properly. The first rule in designing a website is making it compatible across all web browsers. If people see it not aligning properly...they will leave straight away as its too messy on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

Using FF 3.5.5, I can see the motorbikecentral-ireland.com *over* the top image so the text of it clashes with the text on the image.

The Google Ads go across off-screen in both FF & IE7. I'm sure you can decide which direction you want them to go? Actually they do go downwards on Boards.ie so they can!

Text in "Newsflash" window also goes off-screen.

I'm not a fan of the Fixed-size website but that may just be me. I have a wide-screen computer and I think you should at least try to fill it.

All of that said, get this right and the site looks like a job well done. It looks like something my Motorbike-mad friends would be very interested in. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The background image of the headerinside div has text on it, and you place text over this, loose the logo.png and you're looking fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Storm99

Thanks for the feedback guys ! Much appreciated !. I'll try fix as much as I can. I am still a newbie and have zero HTML so I am a bit limited to what I can do.

I do appreciate the fixed size template is kinda annoying, but I can't find any variable width ones that will work with all my components without messing something up somewhere !

Keep the feedback coming !! It's all welcome !! Rather get the bad news now than when I launch !!

Cheers !:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Storm99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys ! Much appreciated !. I'll try fix as much as I can. I am still a newbie and have zero HTML so I am a bit limited to what I can do.

I do appreciate the fixed size template is kinda annoying, but I can't find any variable width ones that will work with all my components without messing something up somewhere !

Keep the feedback coming !! It's all welcome !! Rather get the bad news now than when I launch !!

Cheers !:)

Thats ok if you have limited experience. Thats why your here. I see you are now using a Joomla. Good option for less experienced people until they can learn it and get more help. It looks better than it was. But you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Consider using another Joomla template, this is their default template which is used on tonnes of sites and it doesn't come across as anything unique or even trying to pass as custom designed. At least work on the header a bit more - what are these frogs, plants etc still doing there? :)

The website addy is a a bit long too. I wouldn't normally recommend hyphenated addresses since people will always try to type motorbikecentralireland.com, motorbike-central-ireland.com etc. It's better to make it shorter and more obvious to eliminate this.

Good luck you'll get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

The bullet points beside the "Ads manager ads" on the left look odd

Also, not sure why you've watermarked the pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Storm99

herya wrote: »
    Consider using another Joomla template, this is their default template which is used on tonnes of sites and it doesn't come across as anything unique or even trying to pass as custom designed. At least work on the header a bit more - what are these frogs, plants etc still doing there? :)

The website addy is a a bit long too. I wouldn't normally recommend hyphenated addresses since people will always try to type motorbikecentralireland.com, motorbike-central-ireland.com etc. It's better to make it shorter and more obvious to eliminate this.

Good luck you'll get there!

Cheers, I updated the headers with biking images. I know it's a standard template but it works well !!:D

Advertisement