Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving with the Great White Sharks in SA

Options
  • 06-11-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Has anyone done the one day cage dive with the great whites off Port Lincoln in South Australia. Would you recommend it?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

definitely, I just did it a few weeks back...I wouldnt reccomend it if you get in any way sea sick (as almost everyone on the boat with us ended up sick and some poor f*ckers never left the inside of the boat) but we also had a rough enough day...

I can't wait to do it again and hopefully get some decent photos - It was so awkward trying to stay down in the cage while trying to organise the settings on a camera - it also wasnt very clear the day we went but I can only imagine how class it would be if it was calm and clear...

We had about 5 sharks show up and the first after only 10 minutes, was exactly like in Jaws - head up by the side of the boat...

Check out Shark Photos for a few pics I took, got some better video that I havent had time to load up yet but definitely go for it (although it is a pretty long drive down to Port Lincoln)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i wouldn't recommend it on the level that getting sharks to associating food with small boats and people in the water is a rather dangerous and damaging activity. there is a sort of species memory that means that the next couple of generations of sharks will continue to make those associations, which will both put people at risk (think fishers, surfers) and the sharks (think panicking, overhunting, etc).

at work now, but will try to find link on this later :)

(and yeah, it broke my heart when i found this out, cos twas my life's dream since i was about 8!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Now much dose it cost to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

it's $495 for the day trip... my brother is coming over for christmas so I thought it would be a different thing for him to do! hadn't thought about getting them associated with small boats.. scary!!! only flights I could get were to Adelaide so it would be a long, long drive to port lincoln after that.. I'll have to rethink it!

freeand.. you definitely come up close to them? are they scary?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

rebel333 wrote: »
    it's $495 for the day trip... my brother is coming over for christmas so I thought it would be a different thing for him to do! hadn't thought about getting them associated with small boats.. scary!!! only flights I could get were to Adelaide so it would be a long, long drive to port lincoln after that.. I'll have to rethink it!

freeand.. you definitely come up close to them? are they scary?!!

Yeah you get up close to them, face to face - but it can happen so quick that you would need a calm day to appreciate it...when the cage is thrashing around, keeping balanced is all you can really focus on - as for scary - not one bit, suppose it depends on whether you're scared of sharks or not...but you dont want to go falling overboard or anything like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Anybody else done this? I'm hoping to do it in the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

I done it in South Africa just off seal Island (about 50,000 seals waiting to be eaten :D ) so you were practically guaranteed to see great whites in that area.

Not sure if you have the same guarantee with port Lincoln?

Either way it's one of the best things I have ever done......& yes it was a little terrifying when a giant shark smashes is head off the cage with its mouth open.

Thumbs up all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

I think it's only here and South Africa you can do it , Im living in Lincoln so no excuse not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

My bf did it last year and no sharks :( Him and a friend flew from Sydney - Adelaide and Adelaide - port Lincoln on a Friday night, spent the whole day sat on the shark diving trip and then had a few hours on the Sunday before they had to fly back, the flights, boat trip and accommodation cost about $1100, no guarantees that any sharks will show up I think they were offered 50% off if they booked another trip within 12 months but most of the expense is in getting down there, and if you want to do it over a weekend it didnt leave time for much else as the boat goes several hours out to sea. They were gutted they didnt get at least one shark - they saw plenty of tuna though! But they did highly rate the food and hospitality etc on the boat, and port Lincoln in general

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

minzabud wrote: »
    ...... so no excuse not to do it.

hardly the case, you miss Crumble Froo's comments above? while this is something i would love to do, there are ethical issues which need to be considered.

• Advertisement

lg123 wrote: »
    hardly the case, you miss Crumble Froo's comments above? while this is something i would love to do, there are ethical issues which need to be considered.

Sure there are ethical issues with nearly everything we do in this world! There are ethical issues with everything we buy for example. If you live your life like that you won't enjoy it to the max and you'll end up like one of them echo warriors at one with nature.....best of luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Seems like a waste of time mentioning ethics on this thread mate, these lads want to post pics of them playing with Jaws on Facebook so we can all see them living life to the max...

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Seems like a waste of time mentioning ethics on this thread mate, these lads want to post pics of them playing with Jaws on Facebook so we can all see them living life to the max...

Spot on jack :D

Not sure how to copy pictures in directly but can't recommend this experience enough......it's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

there is a sort of species memory that means that the next couple of generations of sharks will continue to make those associations, which will both put people at risk (think fishers, surfers) and the sharks (think panicking, overhunting, etc).

Sorry, but "species memory" sounds like utter bollocks.

Rob01 wrote: »
    Sure there are ethical issues with nearly everything we do in this world! There are ethical issues with everything we buy for example. If you live your life like that you won't enjoy it to the max and you'll end up like one of them echo warriors at one with nature.....best of luck with that

sure there are mate but at least acknowledge there are things to consider here.

here lads, anyone want to head over to africa, get a few rifles and see if we pop off a few elephants or rhinos, supposed to be great craic!!

sure there are mate but at least acknowledge there are things to consider here.

here lads, anyone want to head over to africa, get a few rifles and see if we pop off a few elephants or rhinos, supposed to be great craic!!

Ha, hardly the same, bit of a difference between going on a safari or shark diving as opposed to killing an animal is there not?

What is there to consider? The theory mentioned earlier sounds like a load of **** ! Everyone has heard the stats about sharks & that cocunuts kill more people every year & I'm sure there's other random things!

All ye do is go out on a boat they toss in a big lump of tuna and ye watch this magnificent creature in the wild. Can't see the problem?

i was only joking with the africa comment but who was questioning the impacts of that little pass time back then.

the problem with the shark diving is you are interfering with these creatures in their natural habitat, these creatures have sharp teeth, and those teeth and my ass don't go well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you want to swim with sharks then just join your nearest Fianna Fail branch.

Advertisement