Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you go shopping on St. Stephan's day?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Definitely not. I worked for a British high street chain for 7 years and every year we came under huge pressure to open on Stephens Day. The management didnt want to open let alone the staff. Now it seems they won out and its horrible. Retail staff dont even get a break at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The whole thing was so successful (for the retailers) that I can't see shops ever being closed again on St Stephen's Day. It's sad really. In fact there'll probably be more open next year. I remember about 7/8 years ago when you'd be shocked to see a Centra open on St Stephen's Day. Now whole cities are open. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

People can decide this, just dont go shopping, they would soon close. I havent been in a shop since weds and dont plan on doing so till later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

It's a free capitalist country so if there is demand for shopping then businesses have every right to supply if they want. We're also a multicultural society so not everybody cares about Stephens Day or xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

number10a wrote: »
    The whole thing was so successful (for the retailers) that I can't see shops ever being closed again on St Stephen's Day. It's sad really. In fact there'll probably be more open next year. I remember about 7/8 years ago when you'd be shocked to see a Centra open on St Stephen's Day. Now whole cities are open. :(

Yup,we were pretty busy. Dang:mad:

It annoys the hell out of me that so many people (customers) were complaining in the run-up to christmas about us opening St Stephen's Day. There were plenty of people crowded at the door before opening. One couple had been waiting since 1pm Christmas Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

lollipop lollipop , lolly lollipop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

no i think they should be closed 25th & 26th however saying that last year i went & bought a tv on stephens day as it was half price but only for that reason otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh great there goes Christmas time to leave retail.....
    Defiantly next year most stores will be open as apposed to closed.

True it's a capitalist society, but footfall and sales rule the world of retail.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Count yourselves lucky you get time off at all. Number of hours free for Christmas in France in 2010 = 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its about time shops overrode the stupid religious influence this country has been subjected to.

I would like to see everything open every religious holiday - including christmas day.

The world doesn't revolve around christians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

axer wrote: »
    Its about time shops overrode the stupid religious influence this country has been subjected to.

I would like to see everything open every religious holiday - including christmas day.

The world doesn't revolve around christians.

I see where your coming from but for alot of people in this country and the world christmas is less about religion and more about a break from work and spending time with their family.

People are entitled to some basic amount of days off work in fairness,

I'm curious in your job do you work all the days of the year including bank holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Cabaal wrote: »
    I see where your coming from but for alot of people in this country and the world christmas is less about religion and more about a break from work and spending time with their family.
    Then it has nothing to do with christmas/st. stephens day.
    People are entitled to some basic amount of days off work in fairness,
    As is required by law - nothing to do with christmas/st. stephens day.
    I'm curious in your job do you work all the days of the year including bank holidays?
    Nope, I'm on call for bank holidays and every other day other than christmas day. Nobody works all the days of the year as that would be against the law.

Advertisement