Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon pixma mp620 small black cartridge problem!

• 06-11-2009 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hey guys

My canon pixma has 2 colour cartridges, and a 1 small and 1 big black ink cartridge. When the big black one was used up I assumed it would automatically start using the small one? Unfortunately it didnt and despite having a full small black ink cartridge I cannot print in black

Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

1. Buy a large black ink cart.
    2. Install large black ink cart.

Seriously though, printer manufacturers make a game out of ****ing over their customers. The printer most likely needs both black inks. It's part of the game. Consult the manual. (One is probably for black, and one is for rich black or some nonsense.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The MP620 has 3 colour cartridges, cyan, magneta and yellow, then it has the big black and the small black one. Are you missing one perhaps?

I'm about to buy replacement cartridges myself as it's running low. I think it's best just to keep a spare of each one as order as you run low.

Mx2.co.uk is the best place I've found so far for them. Any other suggestions welcome (ex vat prices welcome too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Karoma wrote: »
    1. Buy a large black ink cart.
    2. Install large black ink cart.

Seriously though, printer manufacturers make a game out of ****ing over their customers. The printer most likely needs both black inks. It's part of the game. Consult the manual. (One is probably for black, and one is for rich black or some nonsense.)

Yeah but of thats the case then when do I use the small one?
    cormie wrote: »
    The MP620 has 3 colour cartridges, cyan, magneta and yellow, then it has the big black and the small black one. Are you missing one perhaps?

I'm about to buy replacement cartridges myself as it's running low. I think it's best just to keep a spare of each one as order as you run low.

Mx2.co.uk is the best place I've found so far for them. Any other suggestions welcome (ex vat prices welcome too!)

Sorry you're right it has three colour cartridges, I left out one, but I have them all so this doesn't solve my problem.

Try this as a temporary solution:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=238&modelid=17406#SupportDetailAct Search for "how do I use black ink only" then pick result#1 and choose your OS for original of the below.
    Issue: How do I print using only the black ink and not the other colors?
    Solution: Print using black ink only (Windows)

Print using pigment black ink only (Windows)
    Instructions to print using only the pigment black ink tank only. Occasionally you may need to print using black ink only. Using grayscale alone does not provide this option and the color inks will still be used. By following this procedure you may print using only the pigment black ink tank.

Note: Some color ink will still be used for print head maintenance.

Note: Image quality may be sacrificed when printing photographs.

1. Open the Properties / Preferences window for the printer.

For Windows Vista
    * Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, 'Control Panel', 'Hardware and Sound', and then click on 'Printers'. Note: If you are in 'Classic' view, Click 'Printers' directly from the 'Control Panel'.
    * Click your right mouse button on the listing for your printer, and then select 'Printing Preferences...' from the menu that appears.

For Windows XP Home Edition
    * Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, 'Control Panel,' 'Printers and Other Hardware,' and 'Printers and Faxes.'
    * Click your right mouse button on the listing for your printer, and then select 'Printing Preferences...' from the menu that appears.

For Windows XP Professional Edition
    * Click 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, and 'Printers and Faxes.'

For Windows 2000/ Me/98 (if applicable)
    * Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, and 'Settings,' then 'Printers.'
    * Click your right mouse button on the listing for your printer, and then select 'Properties' from the menu that appears.

2. Click on the Main tab.

3. Select 'Plain Paper' as the Media Type. If any other paper type is selected, color ink will be used to create black.

Note: The pigment black ink will only be used when printing on plain paper.

4. Select the box for 'Grayscale Printing'.

Note: If either 'Borderless Printing' or 'Duplex Printing' are enabled from the Page Setup tab, grayscale will be created using a combination of the color (dye) inks to prevent smearing.

5. Click 'OK' to save the changes.

The printer will now only use the pigment black ink tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

cormie wrote: »
    Try this as a temporary solution:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=238&modelid=17406#SupportDetailAct Search for "how do I use black ink only" then pick result#1 and choose your OS for original of the below.

Good idea, doesn't work unfortunately. This is doing my head in!

Anytime I try to print something black it just prints a blank page

• Advertisement

Guess you'll just have to buy a new one so :)

I had my own problems before with the black ink not printing on my old Canon: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57288666

Advertisement