Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were the old 3 Phase Colours in Ireland?

• 06-11-2009 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I was just curious what were the old Irish 3-phase colours, before the introduction of the current harmonised European Blue (N), Brown (L1), Black (L2), Grey (L3).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

N=Black P1=Red P2=Yellow P3=Blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm pretty sure I came across an interim colour code that used blue as neutral and brown as a phase, but wasn't the current CENELEC standard for the other two phases.

Brown, Red & Yellow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 51fun

Neutral:Blue
    L1:Brown
    L2:Red
    L3:Yellow

Before they were changed to this they were as Pieface said

Neutral:Black
    L1:Red
    L2:Yellow
    L3:Blue

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

51fun, you are correct. The first phase colours you show did not last for long for some reason.

I suppose that they had to change the three phase colours when they implemented the harmonised European colours for single phase, quite a long time before the UK did.

It'd have been very confusing if blue was a phase in 3phase SMS them neutral on single phase in the same installation!

The brown, black & grey phase colours were kinda the least worst option as they clashed with the fewest European systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wasn't it the case that when the new standards came in that they only specified that L1=Brown, N=Blue, PE=Green/yellow and it didn't matter what L2 and L3 were as long as they weren't blue or g/y?

So that's why they were puce & tangerine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Solair wrote: »
    So that's why they were puce & tangerine!!
    Ah come on, they're not actual colours, they are things my OH says are colours with great conviction and no room for discussion as I'm always wrong!! :D

What's next? Phase colours are going to be "autumn", "summer sky" and "burnt charcoal"??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Steve wrote: »
    Ah come on, they're not actual colours, they are things my OH says are colours with great conviction and no room for discussion as I'm always wrong!! :D

What's next? Phase colours are going to be "autumn", "summer sky" and "burnt charcoal"??? :D

With some sparky's in this country you might often end up with "Burnt" phase colours:D

Advertisement