Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Connectors make a difference?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

I was trawling the web doing a bit of research (like you do) on LiPos and came across the following statement:

upgrade your discharge connectors to Deans style "T" plugs.
    Typical Tamiya and Kyosho style plugs are major current choke points in your guns electrical circuit. The mini plugs are rated at less than 15 Amps and the large connectors are rated at under 20 Amps.
    Deans "T" style connectors are rated at 35 Amps and add almost no resistance to your electrical circuit. This change alone, even for standard batteries, will improve your ROF slightly.

I have seen arguments for upgrading the entire wiring loom before but this is the first time I've seen anything about changing the battery connectors (although some chargers from the far east come with bare leads allowing the buyer to choose their own connector).

Can anyone offer any comment on it??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Yeah thats about right., In most cases the wiring itself is perfectly capable for the job but the connectors offer too much resistance, hence why they get a bit warm under heavy use. Deans connectors have a large flat surface where they interlink whereas the normal ones are only little circular plugs that are usually very loosely joined together.

You can make up a tamiya to Deans adapter pretty easily so you wont have to rewire your charger too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

The G&P AEGs I have all comes with Deans connectors and I ran it on the Deans connection for a while until I needed a spare battery. Then I thought instead of changing the spare batteries to Deans, I would changed the AEG connector to Tamiya. The AEGs doesn't fire the same. They sounded slower. Unfortunately I don't have two identical AEGs to compare, but I did compared two different G&Ps with different connectors and the Deans one fired more rapidly and crispier.

Now, they are all on Deans and I am considering of changing all my AEGs to Deans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Masada wrote: »
    You can make up a tamiya to Deans adapter pretty easily so you wont have to rewire your charger too. :)

Hang on a sec ... roll back there one. Tamiya to Deans adapter for battery charging? Errrrrr. That may be why your lipo batteries seem to be dying so frequently Masada. Balancing is the order of the day whilst you charge. You don't just plug into the discharge the way you do with an NiMh battery. You use the JST-XH plug either at the same time or instead-of, depending on your charger set-up.

On the OP's post, Deans all the way. I'm currently in the process of upgrading everything to LiPo with Deans connectors and 16awg wiring. it's prudent of course to have a deans to tamiya adapter for those moments where you have to use a tamiya-plug battery with a deans-plug AEG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

What has this got to do with Lipo batterys?

I'm talking about making a charger adapter, regardless of battery types. As im sure you are aware, resistance isn't really a factor when charging the battery, its under load of being used where it makes a difference. Roll Forward One There...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Masada wrote: »
    What has this got to do with Lipo batterys?

I'm talking about making a charger adapter, regardless of battery types. As im sure you are aware, resistance isn't really a factor when charging the battery, its under load of being used where it makes a difference. Roll Forward One There...

My bad, for some reason my thought process went battery -> deans -> lipo with all the recent talk there-of. Using a tamiya connector on a lipo is a waste hence my association with deans connectors.

I stand corrected in this case. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭carentankiller

Haha..:P;)
    Funny how the thought process works late at night Lemming :)

nothing_to_see_here.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Deans & 16AWG should give you about 1rps increase in ROF, if upgrading a stock clone, but asides from the lower resistance they offer a much more positive connection, once soldered propperly you wont have to worry about the wires loosening inside the connector like tamiya ones.

if you can, get the ones with stippeling on the side as it makes their seperation easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

The improvement from deans and decent guage wiring, is actually in trigger response more than FPS. You'll find your battery not only lasts longer, but fires 'quicker' off a trigger pull due to reduced resistance in the circuit.

Deans are the way to go frankly.... pity i cant get xlr small enough lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

It's sort of relevant to the topic so I'll ask here.

Is it really worth getting low resistance wiring? Or would getting high gauge wiring do the job fine? Say 15 or 16 gauge...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Higher guage is low resistance.

speicalist low resistance wiring generally costs a bomb, and is only the same really as 16gu, which still fits in all aegs.... so sod it,... pay less, and use that. The effect is identical. More space for current... less resistance, more boom boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Oh I know the higher the gauge the lower the resistance, but I wasn't sure if thats what people meant by low resistance wiring. Or if they meant ACTUAL low resistance wire. And yeah I know low resistance wiring is expensive. Thats why I was asking if a higher gauge wire would be sufficient ;).

Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Advertisement