Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading some old stuff

Options
  • 06-11-2009 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi wondering if it is worth buying new parts to get this up and running was looking at this case or something like it

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=439037

Also if anyone no's of any smaller case's that will take the parts it would be great

NOt sure if the parts would fit in this the like's of the power supply and what ever GPU i get
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221068

I also need a GPU would like to get a card to play some games at 720p on my tv or on a 22" monitor

Not sure what card is best to get no point in getting a really good card and the rest of the system stopping me from getting the use out of it

The rest of the parts i have are

2.8 dual core socket 939 {was going to overclock it}

4 gig ram ddr1

620 watt power supply

I no its old stuff but surely i can do something with it

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

2.8 dual core socket 939 {was going to overclock it}

4 gig ram ddr1

620 watt power supply

I no its old stuff but surely i can do something with it

Thanks

Not worth throwing money at that build.Maybe sell it on,it would be needed by someone I'm sure

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

It might have been okay for a HTPC but for a gaming build you'd really need a more modern CPU etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Solitaire wrote: »
    It might have been okay for a HTPC but for a gaming build you'd really need a more modern CPU etc.

Really?
    He posted something similar on the graphics forums and i figured a 2.8ghz proc and 4g's of ram, although ddr1 would be kewl enough for games...

I was thinking a 4770 as his psu is, as you would say "naff"

How far do games push cpu's? I thought that that was one area that hardware was well and truly ahead at the mo(due to the crappy old consoles that games are made for)

Obviously i'm not talking about the few pc only games.

From the gist of the ops post on the graphics forums he was looking for a cheapish upgrade to play games on the 720p tele.

Surely a 4770 would bring his pc on a long way?

Advertisement