Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A conversation with the Pope

Options
  • 06-11-2009 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

If you were given the opportunity to freely discuss one topic with the current Pope and could ask him any questions at all about it that he would have to honestly answer what would you ask / talk to him about?

Personally I would ask why the Catholic Church needs so much priceless artworks and buildings. Why it doesn’t sell these works and use the money for the good of the world? If they didn’t sell any properties and had every work of art copied and then only sold the originals they would still make vast sums of money that could be used for a far greater good. A lot of the teachings in the bible ask us to be charitable and not just think of worldly wealth so why not practice what is preached? :confused:

Anyone else got questions they would like asked or even an answer to mine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Now that this is in the Christianity forum, I suggest people stick by the charter when replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

As the RCC claims apostolic sucession, why don't they exhibit apostolic gifts of spirit?

Also, I've nothing against a religion having money, afterall, money is a requirement to purchase land, build churches, embark on missions etc etc. However could you please explain the elaborate costumes, jewlery etc, and how do you relate such things to Christ?

Tbh, I would have a shed-load of Q's. Boards have a new thing where they have a Q and A with people. Damien Duff, John O'Shea, and the latest one, Dustin the Turkey so far. Maybe we should suggest a Q and A with the pope, you reckon he'd be agreeable?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Before you were pontiff you were investigating (and highly skeptical of) the apparitions in medjugorje, has you attitude changed since or are you still wary of the claims being made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Doc wrote: »
    If you were given the opportunity to freely discuss one topic with the current Pope and could ask him any questions at all about it that he would have to honestly answer what would you ask / talk to him about?

Where did limbo go? ;)

Seriously, can we relax a little bit on the contraceptive thing, just to give Africa a fighting chance?

Golly, you actually sound like you're going to do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Personally I would ask why the Catholic Church needs so much priceless artworks and buildings. Why it doesn’t sell these works and use the money for the good of the world?
    That is probably the question I would most like answered. And would recommend they build a museum, move all this stuff out of the basement storage, and charge a small fee for entry. Then use that money for the good of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'd question him about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I'd question him about this

Plenty have already helped him out in the media including in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/oct/07/catholic-church-condoms-africa

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/27/AR2009032702825.html

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/why-popersquos-right-that-condoms-wonrsquot-solve-african-aids-crisis-14246666.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/mar/18/aids-pope-africa-condoms

If I were to speak with the Pope, I'd probably have a long chat about the teachings of Catholicism and where any disagreements fall such as:
    Contraception use within marriage
    The place of the Virgin Mary
    The church regarding itself as the One True Church
    Celibacy for priests and nuns
    The Eucharist
    The role of women in the church
    Ecumenical relations
    Vatican II, and the potential need for further change
    Evangelism / Outreach
    Making the Bible relevant in church

I'd probably have a chat about his plan to bring dissatisfied Anglicans to his church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

I'm a big fan of the current Pope (as a man, not just the office) and would like to think he would answer any question honestly:)
    Personally I would ask why the Catholic Church needs so much priceless artworks and buildings. Why it doesn’t sell these works and use the money for the good of the world? If they didn’t sell any properties and had every work of art copied and then only sold the originals they would still make vast sums of money that could be used for a far greater good. A lot of the teachings in the bible ask us to be charitable and not just think of worldly wealth so why not practice what is preached? :confused:

I like Jakkass's questions above - that would be more than enough before my brain got fried. I might ask him about the nature of salvation and how he understands the 'once saved always saved' believed by many Protestants. I'd also ask him specifically about the Catholic teachings which seem to imply that many Christians are heretics.

If I might answer your question, as I see nobody else offered a contrary position (and I personally prefer a humble simple church to an ostentatious one)...

Here's the first reservation I would have about such pleas from John 12:
    Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. 4But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5"Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages.

About riches and salvation, the only problem here is if one's love of earthly things comes before one's love for God. If the accumulation of art, wealth and power were to take priority in the Catholic church (for example;)) then it would be sanctifying for the church to abandon these material pursuits. However, if you can argue that religious art actually works with God's plan and draws people to Christ then it is justified that the church would preserve its art and value it accordingly, ie as a pointer to the true treasure.

On the individual level, some people are blessed with wealth and it is a Christian's duty to put that wealth to good use. If necessary a Christian will abandon their wealth for God's sake but it would be foolish and "evil" to despise wealth and squander it or give it away without love (charity). Charity for a Christian must involve God's will or it is dead. Selling off art and giving it to the poor does not obviously advance Christ's word - the only positives are the humbling of the church (good) and the possible enrichment of the poor benefactors (probably short-lived and not necessarily good).

Wow, this got long! Finally, much of the best art on public display is in churches or public museums. There's no guarantee that such art would be visible to the public if sold. So it's in my interests that the church keep and display the art where I can view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

I would ask, "respectfully, how can you sleep at night when titles such as Holy Father and Vicar of Christ are given to you?"

Jakkass wrote: »

If I were to speak with the Pope, I'd probably have a long chat about the teachings of Catholicism and where any disagreements fall such as:

The Eucharist...

With respect to transubstantiation, I assume?

anyway, I'd probably ask him to enlighten me as to the thinking behind the same issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd have to ask him who his cobbler is.

Pope-shoes-192_682670e.jpg

Funky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Dades wrote: »
    I'd have to ask him who his cobbler is.

Adriano Stefanelli

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=7862

elvis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Asiaprod wrote: »
    That is probably the question I would most like answered. And would recommend they build a museum, move all this stuff out of the basement storage, and charge a small fee for entry. Then use that money for the good of the world.

this....
    Wow, this got long! Finally, much of the best art on public display is in churches or public museums. There's no guarantee that such art would be visible to the public if sold. So it's in my interests that the church keep and display the art where I can view it.

There are fantastic examples of every kind of art, architecture etc all open for public view and consumption. Usually these are free with a request for a 'donation'. Two points (1) IMO obligatory charges should not be applied to marvel in places like Notre Dame and (2) where donations are respectfully suggested, this is usually ignored by the public. So is there any reason to believe that if you charge to view something that is currently accessible at a minimum cost, suddenly there'll be a queue waiting to view? :confused:

Advertisement