Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried n tried n tried

Options
  • 06-11-2009 4:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hiya

Just wondered if there is anyone like me who has tried (no matter what) to give up!!

I have blood pressure probs, but the hospital don't seem to be that worried at the moment about the smoking.. I have tried to give up on willpower and on patches but to no avail I'd love to give them up, they are nipping my eyes as I type, doc won't prescribe me champix as not sure what would be the effects on bp....

I would love hypnotherapy, but as I'd imagine the average smoker feels, I am reluctant to try it "incase" it doesn't work and I wast my money!!

Any referalls???? Or even better any hypnotherapists willing to put their neck on the line and recieve payment after a few weeks non smoking??? (when I have the money to pay for it!!) LOL!!!!

Berny

xx

Off to have a ciggie now!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

bernyh wrote: »
    Hiya
    I would love hypnotherapy, but as I'd imagine the average smoker feels, I am reluctant to try it "incase" it doesn't work and I wast my money!!

I've never tried hypnotherapy, but I have heard great things about it. Just think about it this way, you are wasting money as it is buying cigarettes so what do you have to loose? Absoutely nothing! Give it a go, it could be the best decision you ever make.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I have tried EVERYTHING, allen carrs books, even went to his seminar :confused:, was hypnotised (spelling) had chinise acupunture, had pressure points done, tried champix twice:eek: really. so is it just all in our heads, maybe i just dont reallt truly believe they are harming me, did manage to stay off for a few months here and there, but just stopped living. so now im gonna stop trying forever. have been smoking for 30 years now, im not unfit as i run three times a week. just cant give them up though

edit. reading back on this post i realise that im just addicted to nicotine. i suppose every smoker would love to stop, but we give the most stupid reasons not to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

try downloading the Paul McKenna quitting smoking tracks, they worked a charm for me.

There are two tracks, the first is one is for "your conscious mind", and it gives you breathing techniques and explains about the craving and all that (I would imagine a lot like the Alan Carr book).

The second track is a "trance/meditation" track. It's about 25mins long and you listen to it when you "can relax and ignore the outside world", in other words when you can lie down, or sit down for 25mins without being interrupted. It is a form of guided meditation. You listen to that for 21 days - you can smoke away in that interim period - and then give up. It worked superbly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

dollyk wrote: »
    maybe i just dont reallt truly believe they are harming me,

Havent you just hit the nail on the head there?

Im not saying it would work for everybody but I focussed big time on the liklihood of serious future health issues, and tried to apply that to the mindset of a resonably educated person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

as 'failed' quits.

You're attempts to quit are not failures, they are steps on the way to learning how to quit forever.

I must have quit 50 times before I finally managed it. Every Monday for about a year was the day, and I was back by Tuesday night.

January 2007, it just finally clicked, possibly cause it was a New Year's thing and I'd just turned 30. Nearly three years off and feeling great.

Sometimes that sensation of the right time to do something can spur you along.

My tip would be:

As soon as you give up fags start enjoying your new liberated body immediately, dont sit around o the couch eating chocolate: Get out, breathe great big deep lungfuls of fresh air, go swimming, walk in the rain, feel the cold water on your face, have sex, go to the top of a mountain, go swimming in the sea. Nicotine addiction locks you into your own body and enslaves your senses - from the moment you give it up show it who's boss by enjoying REAL pleasure straight away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement