Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSN: "A newer version is available.. you MUST install the upgrade to continue"

• 06-11-2009 4:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Upon trying to sign in to MSN I'm getting this crap:
    "A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?"

Yes [*]
    No [*]

[Ok] - [What's New?]

I'm on Windows XP and the Messenger is "Version 2008 (Build 8.5 1302.1018).

Is there any way around this so I can just use the Messenger I've got without having to install this damned "new" one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I am having the same problem.

Somehow the newer version in my office doesnt connect to MSN but the version that you have mentioned above does and thats why I want to keep it.

Not allowing it to continue without the upgrade. If you find a solution then do post it.

The newer version works fine in my personal laptops on both XP and windows 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's v14 it wants to update to ya?

I have problems with it connecting to the web pretty much every evening; it's ok in the office but back in the hotel it doesn't connect.

knew i read it somewhere

Yes v14.

Seems like a dead end, no choice but to upgrade :(

By upgrading its not going to work in office.

I guess this is the way to go now.

webmessenger.msn.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Why don't you just try Pidgin. It's much nicer than the official MSN client anyway.

I'd recommend a multi-IM client as well tbh if Live Messenger is giving that much grief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

This kinda crap does my tits in! I don't want new features as I'm extremely happy with the features I have and which I don't use anyway :mad:

When you google the message you get this link - http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/27/download-and-use-older-version-of-windows-live-messenger-or-msn-messenger/. That guy's got some kind of work around apparently, something to do with wiping your current MSN completely, downloading the new one or the old one? :confused: and then deleting something out of the register?

Does that make sense to anyone?

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    This kinda crap does my tits in! I don't want new features as I'm extremely happy with the features I have and which I don't use anyway :mad:

When you google the message you get this link - http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/27/download-and-use-older-version-of-windows-live-messenger-or-msn-messenger/. That guy's got some kind of work around apparently, something to do with wiping your current MSN completely, downloading the new one or the old one? :confused: and then deleting something out of the register?

Does that make sense to anyone?
    Seems fine?

I'll test it and see on my machine here.

ok, ran zapmessenger and install the WLM 8.5 the url mentions and I get the forced update dialog box.

Gonna check the reg change now

Have v8.5.1302.1018 working fine - didn't ask to update.

I downloaded teh zapmessenger, the v8.5 and the reshacker from teh url above.

Run zapmessenger.

Run the WLM8.5 installer.

Try and see if you can log in with the 8.5.

If you still get the forced update dialog box; quit messenger completely.

Run the reshacker.

Change the dir to program files/windows live/messenger and click the msnmsgr.exe

Expand Version Info and expand 1.

Click on 1033.

Look for the line VALUE “ProductVersion”, “8.5.1302.1018″ and change the 8.5.1302.1018 to 14.0.8064.0206.

Compile script.

Save file

- if you can't save into the same dir, save the file as msnmsgr.exe to yer desktop.

- copy/paste the exe from teh desktop into the messenger folder.

worked for me :)

Running it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode did the trick for me. There's no way I'm upgrading to v14.

EDIT: It doesn't work 100% - crashes if you try to send a file. Best to stick with the version mod mentioned above.

• Advertisement

@kaimera - thanks a lot :)

Will try in office on monday.

I've given this new messenger a shot and my worst fears were confirmed - it's absolute gack. I don't like it at all. If I delete it now I'll lose my smileys I've saved won't I? Or is there any way to export them and save them ?

Edit: Sod all that, I did the above and it worked perfect :D
    net.messenger thinks that I'm on the 14.0.8064.0206 messenger :cool:.

Argh tits. Either I didn't do it properly or Microsoft have cottoned on because I've just gotten that bloody box again :(:mad:

msn_newer_available.jpg

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Argh tits. Either I didn't do it properly or Microsoft have cottoned on because I've just gotten that bloody box again :(:mad:

msn_newer_available.jpg

Nope, won't work for me either now. Back to aMSN I suppose. :(

Edit: Just tried changing the version to 15.0.8064.0206 and it worked... I know it's not valid but it works. :p

Ah ye little beauty!

Advertisement