Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media warning from Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

CJhaughey wrote: »

no surprise, renewals mentioned 5 times and by a super. your honor.

at least a warning is put in the media :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

quote;Already a number of people have handed in guns to the gardaí, saying they don’t want to renew the licence.

Supt Cadogan said these firearms had been taken to the Cork Steel Company where, under Garda supervision, they had been destroyed. He said that he believed around 20% of firearm licences wouldn’t be renewed. unquote

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfaueysneymh/rss2/#ixzz0W4oW4lbN
    here we go with the media hype Ahern and his cronnies wont be long on jumping on the bandwagon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can't say i'm surprised at the number of people who haven't applied for their license yet. There are a large number of people down my way that have not applied either. Some still believe that the license fee only covers 1 year and are shocked at the €80 fee. Some (mostly older lads, sorry no offence) who do not know how to download the FCA1 or do not know how to fill it in.

Then there is the last batch of lads, who are still stuck in the old system mindset. You know, you got your letters saying your license was in the station. They think the extensions are either their license or a letter to pick up their license. It may seem a bit funny for those of us who know the basics but there are people out there the still do not fully understand the procedures. Problem down my way is the Gardai have told me they still have not received formal training on the necessary rules, etc to aid people in the application process. They admitted they have steered people in a wrong direction (however small) a couple of times. No fault of their own they are winging it like some of the rest of us.

I know the NARGC put up a completed FCA1 form but again if people cannot work or get access to a computer to get the form how can they use one to see how its filled in. It was suggested here before and I done it in my game club and its done in my target club, a day every 3 -4 weeks is picked and all members needing help are brought in and instructed on the proper way to fill in the FCA1 and the FCA1/FCA2 forms are supplied.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think most of the Garda Stations had forms quite quickly. I know I was in a couple near me and they all had plenty of forms.

There are people out there also, who just won't be assed to do it and expect the Gardai to turn up with the licence and a request for money.

Those ones will get some surprise :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

rrpc wrote: »
    I think most of the Garda Stations had forms quite quickly. I know I was in a couple near me and they all had plenty of forms.

There are people out there also, who just won't be assed to do it and expect the Gardai to turn up with the licence and a request for money.

Those ones will get some surprise :rolleyes:

yep! dead right, I helped several lads to fill in their forms, I have been asked twice since then to drive 15 miles and give other lads a hand, no mention of them coming to me, some lads need to be spoon fed:(.
    needless to say ill not be bothering my ass either:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I agree with you lads. Laziness is a key factor aswell. The forms not being available would have been an excuse a month ago but not now, yet people still have not seen them or got them. I would still help a lad to fill it out or do whatever i could but as you said foxshooter some lads need spoon fed and to expect someone to help is one thing to expect them to drive to you to help is another and a bit cheeky.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

"It is estimated that more than 20% of guns in the city and county will either be handed up or seized because many holders won’t pay the new charge – especially if they have multiple guns."

I might be taking it up the wrong way, even though I'm not from that area I'm put out by the final six words in bold.

It stinks of ignorance to me, if you have multiple guns you're more likely to not follow the set out procedures, yeah right. The more guns a person has, then it would surely follow the more interest they have in shooting sports and the closer they would be following developments.

I would think the people who have just the one gun which doesn't get used will be the ones handing them in or having them seized due to lack of interest in what's going on.

Did Supt Cadogan comment on the colossal FUBAR situation that people had to endure in the first place I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

ezridax wrote: »
    I agree with you lads. Laziness is a key factor aswell. The forms not being available would have been an excuse a month ago but not now, yet people still have not seen them or got them. I would still help a lad to fill it out or do whatever i could but as you said foxshooter some lads need spoon fed and to expect someone to help is one thing to expect them to drive to you to help is another and a bit cheeky.

in the same position myself with a friend of mine got him the form, filled most of it in for him barring doctors and referee details gave him the number of a lad he can get new land permission from still wants me to go over the form with him and has not bothered to ring the farmer for a letter of permission, now wants me to hold his hand and bring him to the farmer, and this lad is in his fifties, spoon fed is right:D

I'll top that johnner, a lad across from me asked for help. I sat down with him and started to go through the form. Asked for his doctor, "I'm not giving them that" was the response. Asked for land permissions (he is a hunter) for referees and a few other details and he still said he is not giving up that information. I told him that most of it is mandatory and the application will not go through without it. The response was brilliant (sense the sarcasm) "they'll know its me and put it through without knowing all my business, or they'll get the gun. I'm telling them nothing".

What do you say to that?????

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

I'll top that johnner, a lad across from me asked for help. I sat down with him and started to go through the form. Asked for his doctor, "I'm not giving them that" was the response. Asked for land permissions (he is a hunter) for referees and a few other details and he still said he is not giving up that information. I told him that most of it is mandatory and the application will not go through without it. The response was brilliant (sense the sarcasm) "they'll know its me and put it through without knowing all my business, or they'll get the gun. I'm telling them nothing".

Another lost cause, id say leave them at it;)

• Advertisement

I did. Hate to think i'm a quitter but what can you say to change someones mind that has such a distrust and hatred of "the system".

"Don't come to me so when the cops arrive on your doorstep looking for your guns."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

When I was dealing with the FO a few weeks back, he was telling me that he was already chasing up lads who didnt bother getting forms or making any effort to get their forms into him and their extensions were in the first batch:eek:-I dont relish the year he has ahead of him!.

Talking to another lad and he got his forms sent back due to no photographs, doctors name or referees, his mate got his forms back as well cos he had his familys home address on his, even though he hadnt lived there for twenty years :D

johngalway wrote: »
    "It is estimated that more than 20% of guns in the city and county will either be handed up or seized because many holders won’t pay the new charge – especially if they have multiple guns."

I might be taking it up the wrong way, even though I'm not from that area I'm put out by the final six words in bold.

It stinks of ignorance to me, if you have multiple guns you're more likely to not follow the set out procedures, yeah right. The more guns a person has, then it would surely follow the more interest they have in shooting sports and the closer they would be following developments.
    OK, this is really not me having a go at you again John :D (I wasn't having a go before either, honestly :)) but I think he means that you're even more likely not to pay the charge if you have more than one gun.

I think, OK?, no offence now, just a thought?.... possibly?

I'll get me coat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, I've heard of more than one chap who had two or three shotguns react in a rather forcible manner when they learnt that their expenditure this year on fees was going to jump from 30-odd euro to 240 euro. Learning that they are likely to cut down on the number of firearms they own as a consequence is not that surprising.

rrpc wrote: »
    OK, this is really not me having a go at you again John :D (I wasn't having a go before either, honestly :)) but I think he means that you're even more likely not to pay the charge if you have more than one gun.

I think, OK?, no offence now, just a thought?.... possibly?

I'll get me coat :D

:mad:

And don't let the door...

:D:D:D:D:D

No worries RR ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I got one of my forms back for not filling it in properly, very embarrassing, but the Gardai were fine about it and the application went through and was granted, whereas the others I'm still waiting on.

kowloon wrote: »
    I got one of my forms back for not filling it in properly, very embarrassing, but the Gardai were fine about it and the application went through and was granted, whereas the others I'm still waiting on.
    I've been into my station three times now ;) All because of a moderator - it's a long story, but I'm not complaining (a) because there's no point and (b) because the Sergeant in my station is one of the nicest guys you could meet, phones me whenever there's a problem and apologises when there's really no need.

He freely admits he doesn't know the system properly, but he's doing his best and doing it cheerfully and you couldn't really ask for more.

Advertisement