Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo: Reach screenshots leaked

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Screenshots look good. Do you play as the chief in this one again? I know he's not the only spartan in it this time around.

As for criticism of Halo, i see where it's coming from, halo 1 - 3 are essentially the same game, but if it aint broken dont fix it, and i think its wrth playing for the story line alone. Still, would be nice if they change it up a bit for this one.

i think they should definly change it, i for one want something new, a new (but good story) new weapons and the new graphics would make for an awesome game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The screenshots look blurred to hell hiding how old this engine looks by modern standards.

It needs an overhaul but they think it will sell without it. Couldn't be arsed with another Halo TBH. I have 3 and skipped ODST and I'll probably skip this. Halo is getting old and I might look at the 4 or something on the next Xbox but won't be buying any of these cash in expansion packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Halo reach will probably be same as 3, 2 and 1. This series needs to move with the times and least attempt to put something more interesting into the mix than a graphical update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Trailer from VGA on Spike

They said thats the in game engine, Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Oooo, shiny armour! I'm already sold!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

lafors wrote: »
    Trailer from VGA on Spike

They said thats the in game engine, Nice.

They also said the first Halo 3 trailer was in game. Final game looked nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'll give one lucky viewer my own Xbox if that's in-game footage. It's far too smooth and modern looking to be run on anything other than a high-end PC & GPU combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'll give one lucky viewer my own Xbox if that's in-game footage. It's far too smooth and modern looking to be run on anything other than a high-end PC & GPU combo.

In comparison to the leaked screenshots and start of the thread I dont think its too unbelievable, its just a new engine for the game....

New engine or not, it's still 3 year old hardware (a long time in hardware terms) and that preview has graphics equalling what I've seen on the latest PC shooters on a top notch machine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hugely impressed with the graphics in the preview and would be chuffed if the coding boffins managed to get the Xbox to produce actual gameplay quality graphics equalling those on show, but I'd be amazed.

Ok, and as a PC gamer you know how quickly hardware changes. It doesn't matter how high the spec of a PC was 3 years ago - its hardware is not capable of playing new games as they're meant to look now. I'm not saying the Xbox is outdated, far from it - what I'm saying is that a new PC with a top-of-the-line GPU (or 2) and processor will outperform an Xbox in every way.

An example of a game that looks better on a high-spec PC is Far Cry 2. Sure in the foreground things are quite similar, but the details in the background, the AA capabilities, the extra effects that DX10 brings - these are all absent from non-PC versions of the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/far-cry-2_pc360-comparison-video

Tell me which one looks better? If I was obsessed with graphics and money was no object, I'd take an Alienware PC (or equivalent) over an Xbox any day because it will perform better. I'll admit the differences aren't mind-blowing, but they're obvious enough.

The thing is that most games are now written for consoles first, with PC coding coming second. As a result, the graphical differences are minimal as the code writers don't spend as much time using the additional features (which is understandable) available to them on a PC.

Look at this trailer and tell me that an Xbox could handle graphics like it;

Yes you'll have to spend the equivalent of about 12 Xbox 360 Elites to make the game look like this, but it still looks far better than anything the Xbox, in its current guise, will ever be able to produce.

I love my Xbox. I never thought I would because I played PC games for years and never liked consoles. But I've gone from being absolutely obsessed with how the game looked (in my PC days - 3d Mark, etc) to caring more about how it plays, and how comfortable it is to sit in front of a large flat-screen TV on the couch rather than in an office chair in front of a 19" monitor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The only PC game that i've played on the 360 as well is Cod4. Now my laptop can only play cod4 at about 80% of the max settings but it still looks a good deal better than the 360 version..

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The only difference between the two far cry videos is a higher level of anti-aliasing, nothing amazing their. And the video you posted is of Rage a game that John Carmack said can run on a Xbox 360 and will be released on the console.

You wont need 12 xboxes in fact it would be easier to get it to run on a xbox as you have only one system to program for not the millions of hardware variations that exist in the PC market. Only a high spec pc will outperform an xbox 360 and that PC would cost alot more than a 360. My PC is a Dual core 3.0Ghz with a decent video card and 1.5 Tb Hdd and 4Gbs of Ram and it still wouldnt hold a candle in terms of raw processing power. A fully top of the range PC would but at a hugely increased price.

Oh and alienware PC`s are overpriced pieces of junk.

Fair enough, I'm not going to try to change your mind on this one. I've just highlighted the two most important points of your previous post. Higher levels of AA improve the look of a game and require bucket loads of raw GPU power, something the Xbox can't handle (and these aren't the only differences in the two versions anyway). And John Carmack said it can run, but I asked whether it will look like it does in the preview. The answer is no.

And you're repeating a lot of what I've already said regarding the price thing but the bottom line is that if it's graphical beauty and performance you're after and money is no object, you will not beat a high-end PC. For 95% of us, the Xbox is just right.

In fairness thouse graphics aren't anything more impressive than Gears of War 2 with probably a little extra cleaning up afterwards to make it look better than the end product probably will by getting rid of any aliasing.

I don't think the 360 will run it exactly like that but it will be pretty much the same.

I might give it a luck if they are putting in some effort. I'll see what the game play changes are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

SuprSi wrote: »
    New engine or not, it's still 3 year old hardware (a long time in hardware terms) and that preview has graphics equalling what I've seen on the latest PC shooters on a top notch machine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hugely impressed with the graphics in the preview and would be chuffed if the coding boffins managed to get the Xbox to produce actual gameplay quality graphics equalling those on show, but I'd be amazed.

Your argument is invalid. Unlike PCs where 3 year old hardware will not run the latest games too well, consoles graphics generally improve over the course of their lifespan as devs get to grips with the architecture. Take a look at early PS2 games and then compare them to Shadow of the Colossus. Ditto early 360 games like GRAW, compare that to Gears 2, its night and day. IMO the 360 can easily handle whats shown in that trailer.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Your argument is invalid. Unlike PCs where 3 year old hardware will not run the latest games too well, consoles graphics generally improve over the course of their lifespan as devs get to grips with the architecture. Take a look at early PS2 games and then compare them to Shadow of the Colossus. Ditto early 360 games like GRAW, compare that to Gears 2, its night and day. IMO the 360 can easily handle whats shown in that trailer.

I see what you're saying but that's not my argument. As Lightning mentioned above, if you want the best graphics then you have to go with a PC, though it will cost you an arm and a leg to purchase and the same again to keep it up to date, and is something best left to the die-hard PC fanatics.

Do you honestly think that John Carmack will present Rage to the public on an Xbox? Again the answer is no because the PC he'll use (which will undoubtedly have cost thousands) will make it look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Holy sheeeeeeet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Interesting factoid... There are more polygons in the assault rifle in reach than there were in the whole of the first 3 games

I'll keep an eye on it.

It really just shows how little went into the engine for Halo 3 that they can improve it so much.

It as and appeared like an upgraded version of the Xbox engine and not a proper engine for a next gen game and it looked very dated in ODST.

Hopefully reach will live up to the marketing hype they seem to already be putting out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know what, I love Halo, I have loved all the games in the series, aside from that Halo Wars business, it seems cosy here amongst you other Halo fans.
    Have to say though, there's a bunch of people on the Arcade & Retro pages who just don't understand, and all I get there is grief for my slavish devotion to all things Master Chief.

I know they are watching, so feck off you shower of jrpg playing, Streets of Rage/GoldenAxe loving weirdoes!

I like Halo, I can't wait for Halo Reach, so why should I be embarrassed???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

All the main franchise has been outstanding, apart from ODST, which for me was a slap in the face for Halo fans. Firefight was great but only half finished without matchmaking or the ability to play a game without unreal amounts of slowdown and lag. This game will rule, bring on the Beta may 3rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

All in game footage in one video compiled from the ViDoc (by me :D )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to say, I don't really go for multiplayer, but I enjoyed the ideas in story telling behind the single player mode of ODST, the change of pace between the protagonist and the various "stories" you get to play through, allowing for quick jumps to various action scenes, the collapse of the space elevator, the assault on the poice head quarters, more scarabs- lovely jubbly!

I don't mind either that Bungie will be retiring from the Halo franchise, although I have a feeling we will see the story continue with a spin off dev, perhaps they can bring some new concepts to an expanded Halo-verse,

once its not Halo-Karts or some such nonsense!

An MGS style game could work quite well in the Halo story line I think.

Advertisement