Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aircraft Noise over Clontarf area

• 06-11-2009 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I was woken up this morning at 6.30 by airplanes passing over my house in Clontarf. The passage of airplanes has been intense since then (one every 30 seconds) and it's still going on at time of posting this thread (9.30am).

Has anybody noticed the issue? and does anybody know why this is happening? I have been living in Clontarf for the past 5 years and this is the first time that disruption caused by aircraft noise has been so intense and early in the morning.

The only bit of information I could find goes back to February 2009:
    http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/latest-news/240209_runwaynotice.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It's the wind direction which determines the flight path to the airport. Sometimes you'll have the planes flying low over Clontarf. It happens often enough but you probably just never noticed it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

they are upgading some runway and are using different flight paths.it was in the paper that this will continue till february.we have the same in dunlaoghaire,ours is night time mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

I have called Airport authority and was given the same reason :rolleyes:

I have also noticed in the past that airplanes have been flying over Clontarf in windy conditions but it's never been so frequent and intense as in the last month or so and surely never as bad as during the last 3 hours.....so much out of the ordinary that I doubt the issue lately has been the wind at all (by the way there is no wind this morning)!

Any way if you want to lodge a complaint call the Airport authority and ask to be put trough to the noise and pollution complaint line - Tel. 01 814 1111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

blossom180 wrote: »
    they are upgading some runway and are using different flight paths.it was in the paper that this will continue till february.we have the same in dunlaoghaire,ours is night time mostly.

Thanks Blossom180......that explains it.......I couldn't find anything on the airport website so I was a bit worried that I would be stuck with a new runway or route or something like that......must be a pain at night time...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Noangel72 wrote: »

I have also noticed in the past that airplanes have been flying over Clontarf in windy conditions but it's never been so frequent and intense as in the last month or so and surely never as bad as during the last 3 hours.....so much out of the ordinary that I doubt the issue lately has been the wind at all (by the way there is no wind this morning)!

Any way if you want to lodge a complaint call the Airport authority and ask to be put trough to the noise and pollution complaint line - Tel. 01 814 1111

Lodge a complaint? Are you serious? There may not be wind where you are but the crosswinds at the airport can be terrible...
    The upgrading of the runway only happens at night time, so that's not the reason for it this morning. Where I am (Finglas) is very windy and very close to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I flew in about that time this morning and we came in over Drogheda, then turned to land coming from the Northern side of the airport, I presume then that the takeoffs were heading out over Beaumont,Clontarf then.
    It's not so common, I think, but does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Please forgive me Noangel72 but I am very surprised you have noticed this only now. I have lived in Artane all my life (37 years) and I'm well use to planes going over my home and this is nothing new by a long stretch.

The North/South runway is only used when wind is coming from a certain direction or when the main East/West runway is closed for inspection, mainly at night. This has always happened since the East/West runway was built in the 80's. Now some times the planes are loud and some times I don't even notice them. I have always but that down to wind direction. If the wind is coming in the direction from the plane towards you, the sound will be louder than if the wind was coming from a different direction.

Dublin airport is surprisingly one of the busiest airports in Europe and busier than cities with are much larger in population than Dublin. And its only getting busier in the future.

Dublin airport is starting to become an important hub as people coming from the United States get a cheap flight from the east coast to Dublin and then change to a cheap flight to Europe. Then there will be the new US customs in Dublin Airport's T2 which allows any flight from Dublin to fly to any US airport (currently only to busy International Airports like JFK). And then there's the new long haul planes like the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787. When they are up and running (making it possible to fly from Dublin to Perth, Australia non-stop) Dublin is going to be a busy hub.

In fairness to Dublin Airport, they do make efforts to restrict planes flying overhead, particularly planes using the North/South runway, but I'm afraid now and again they have no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The reason in this particular case for the use of runway 16/34 was that new surface laid on rwy28 overnight was not ready in time...so hence 16/34 had to be used instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Lodge a complaint????

You are on the approach of a runway that has been there over 40 if not 50 years!!!!

I think you might be a bit late!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

Lol, I grew up in Clontarf with the planes constantly going overhead (which kept me awake as a kid) and had wondered in later years where they had gone ! Obviously they had started using the new runway. Thing is, now I live under the new runway approach and find I sleep better :D

Good time to go up back/ring road around airport though, planes come in directly over road and get really good/close view of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

bublehead wrote: »
    Lol, I grew up in Clontarf with the planes constantly going overhead (which kept me awake as a kid) and had wondered in later years where they had gone ! Obviously they had started using the new runway. Thing is, now I live under the new runway approach and find I sleep better :D

Good time to go up back/ring road around airport though, planes come in directly over road and get really good/close view of them :)
    Yep, I noticed this while landing, we weren't very far above the road at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A complaint?
    That runway was there long before you and before it was an airport it was Colliinstown Aerodrome.

I used to live in Artane, you often heard aircraft noise and as said, it's down to wind direction.

I do remember there was a plane most mornings which was noisy and low-flying. I was told it was a propeller driven plane and it was bringing in newspapers from England.
    I've no idea if that was true, I've no reason to doubt it though I'm sure most papers sold in Ireland are printed here

Advertisement