Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Dogs Not Getting Along

Options
  • 06-11-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking after a Norwegian Elkhound female for a friend for a few weeks. The problem is that her and my own dog (a one year old female Cocker Spaniel) aren't getting on great. I've been told the Elkhound is about 4 years old. I introduced them to each other on neutral territory and I'm feeding them apart but my Cocker tends to chase the Elkhound away if she comes over near me when I'm out with them. They aren't fighting but there's alot of snarling at each other. The Elkhound just tends to run away normally and sit under some trees at the side of the garden.

It was so bad at the start though with the Cocker chasing her under the trees that I had to tie the Cocker for a few hours and that seemed to make her more tolerant as she lets the Elkhound walk around the garden now. I also managed to get the two of them to sleep together in the one kennel last night and thought that might help but the Cocker was back at it this morning when I let them out. Yesterday evening I had arrived home though and the two of them were standing side by side in the garden.

That said, I've looked out the window at them and they tend to keep their distance from each other which is unusual as I've seen my Cocker with other dogs in the garden and she has always played with them and sat with them. The two of them also get on fairly okay on walks (although I've only had them out twice so far). But, even then, my dog didn't play with the elkhound like she would other dogs we would meet on walks. They just sort of ignored each other when I let them off the lead.

Is it a case of jealousy? Will it go away in time? I've read on another link on here that dogs do this for a few days until they sort out who is dominant and then settle down. I'm just hoping the two of them will eventually get on as it'd be some great companionship for my dog.

Neither dog is neuteured and it isn't an option for either so please don't mention neuteuring in replies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I think they sound like they are getting on quite well considering that the elk hound is away from its home and family and that your dog is having to put up with another unneutered male coming into his house and sharing all his stuff. There will be a few spats between them but it sounds like by the time the weekend is over, a lot of the agro will be over between these two dogs. A dog snarling is a warning. Its if they actually properly bite, I'd be worried.
    Any pictures of the two of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

maybe i have read ur post wrong op and if i did i appologise but if im correct here goes. Why on earth would u put 2 dogs in a single kennel that dont get on together, that in my opinion is down right stupid and is looking for trouble.
    Ur cocker has already let u know she is not to fond of ur guest and is letting u know by keeping clear of her. So i cant phathom why u would then go and lock them in together. unless u have one hell of a big kennel the dogs can have their own space. What if a fight broke out. During the day they can get away from each other and are so avoiding a confriatation(sp).

please until ur sure they are getting along please,please, please keep them sep at night or when u r not there to supervise. Maybe they will never get on, some dogs like people dont so im afraid ur best bet then is to keep them in sep kennels at night.

Again sorry if i read post wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

maybe i have read ur post wrong op and if i did i appologise but if im correct here goes. Why on earth would u put 2 dogs in a single kennel that dont get on together, that in my opinion is down right stupid and is looking for trouble.
    Ur cocker has already let u know she is not to fond of ur guest and is letting u know by keeping clear of her. So i cant phathom why u would then go and lock them in together. unless u have one hell of a big kennel the dogs can have their own space. What if a fight broke out. During the day they can get away from each other and are so avoiding a confriatation(sp).

please until ur sure they are getting along please,please, please keep them sep at night or when u r not there to supervise. Maybe they will never get on, some dogs like people dont so im afraid ur best bet then is to keep them in sep kennels at night.

Again sorry if i read post wrong

I had been keeping the dogs in separate kennels but I was hoping that it might help them get along if they were in the one kennel.

I put the two dogs in last night and then watched for a good half hour. There was movement from neither and they seemed to get on fine in the kennel. The kennel is a large kennel and it would house both dogs and give them room to move. I put them into the one kennel because I've noticed that they often get on fine e.g. when I arrived home yesterday evening and both of them were standing at the gate together.

I think they sound like they are getting on quite well considering that the elk hound is away from its home and family and that your dog is having to put up with another unneutered male coming into his house and sharing all his stuff. There will be a few spats between them but it sounds like by the time the weekend is over, a lot of the agro will be over between these two dogs. A dog snarling is a warning. Its if they actually properly bite, I'd be worried.
    Any pictures of the two of them?

Both dogs are female. There is no biting between them, just growling and snarling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Be very careful as bitches can be nearly worse for fighting and can fight to the death and the chances are they might not have a full scale fight until you are not around so i would be very wary of leaving the 2 of them together un supervised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

It sounds like they're starting to get used to each other. How long have they been together already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

2 females not spayed, CAN be a recipe for disater. I know u said u kept an eye on them for a hr, but what about the other 7-8 hrs they were in kennel alone for. please for the sake of a few weeks as far as im concerened u would be better letting them sleep sep at night, well i know i would. 2 bitches fightin aint a pretty site

2 females not spayed, CAN be a recipe for disater. I know u said u kept an eye on them for a hr, but what about the other 7-8 hrs they were in kennel alone for. please for the sake of a few weeks as far as im concerened u would be better letting them sleep sep at night, well i know i would. 2 bitches fightin aint a pretty site

I think I might buy a muzzle for my cocker tomorrow. She's the one showing the aggression. The elkhound only growls in retaliation.

It sounds like they're starting to get used to each other. How long have they been together already?

They are together since Tuesday so three days now.

Advertisement