Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with deep wound that is starting to smell!

Options
  • 06-11-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey guys, I've got a 12 year old Wiemariner, best dog ever with never a health complaint so far. On Sunday however he was out in the garden and managed to get himself a cut, it's above the front right sholder blade at the base of the neck. I have no idea how, it doesn't look like a bite more like a single puncture wound.

Anyway the wound was deepish but quite small so I didn't worry too much about it, washed it with salty water and left it at that.

I noticed two things last night (Thursday)
    1. The wound seemed to be slightly bigger
    2. It really smells

I have since noticed that he can't really get at it to lick it himself. Just worried that it might be getin infected with something.

I'm probably gonna bring him to the Vet tonight but just if anyone here has any suggestions/advice?

I'm assuming this is not normal behaviour for a wound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Puncture wounds look small on the surface but because they are deep, they tend to get infected. If it's smelly, there's pus in there. He needs to see the vet alright. The vet will flush it out with a syringe of saline and he'll probably need antibiotics for a few days. Not a big deal but definitely warrants a trip to the vet. ;) I wouldn't go trying to clean it out yourself at this point - water would need to be boiled anyhoo - best to leave it to the vet this evening. If it looks bigger it's because it's full of goo and the tissues are inflamed. (Sorry, it's true!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 on the vet. It definitely sounds infected if its gotten bigger and smelling. The vet will have to irrigate it and he made need a course of anti Bs

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

Nice one guys, he's booked in to the vet for this evening anyway.

Thanks for the detailed answer Bomerang. You know how it is yourself, something happens and you immediatley imagine the worst (especially with an old dog), so quite reassuring to hear it should be routine enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes deffo to the vet, with a puncture wound there is probably dirt down far into the wound and all it would take is a small bit of dirt to cause an infection and then the swelling will start too.

The vet will more than likely give a jab of strong anti biotics and then give you course to give to the dog. Puncture wounds are harder to keep clean than a normal laceration as the wound is further in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

When wounds smell - that means infection & get to the vet asap! A good clean & some anti biotics & your dog will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Vet first thing tomorrow.

Nothing good it in there will be smelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Go to the vet - infection can get hard to deal with very quickly and the poor dog is probably quite uncomfortable. This is not normal for a healthy wound. He may need some shots and an antibiotic.

Well he's been to the vet (brought him last night). So it turns out he was bitten by something so there was a series of smaller wounds. this led to air getting under the layer of skin and consequently a rapid spread of infection.

He was held overnight and they did a quick operation to clean the wound, they've put in a tube to let it drain out, and given him a course of antibiotics.

The vet seemed to think he should be fine pretty much, and he is not at all bothered by the whole thing, he just wants to go for a walk.

Nice one to everyone for all the advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If there were a series of small puncture wounds around the neck it could have been a mink that bit the dog. They are extremely vicious and will attack and bite a big dog without fear. Might be a good idea to keep an eye out for them around where you live. Be extra vigilant if you have children. And if you keep any type of fowl, ensure that there are no gaps in the housing as mink can get in through the tiniest of holes.

Glad your dog is ok.

Mink eh? interesting, what kind of habitat do they usually live in? for whatever reason I always think of them as a riverside animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Mink normally do like to have some sort of water in their habitat as they use it as a means of transport, though they can be found in marshy areas or places with small streams. Are there any small or underground steams near where you live?

I live up the top of a hill in Cork city, No real water sourc thaI can think of. Obviousl teh Lee is there, but it's at the bottom of the hill, and well I assume there'd be better homes for em between here and there. How big do mink bite? this thing managed to get right across the width of the dogs neck, the biters gape is about 4 inchs or so.

Advertisement