Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions on the march..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Someone should organise a counter-demonstration.
    Tell these unions to STFU and get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

RedPlanet wrote: »

The government have managed to get extremely hard working public AND private sector workers grabbing at each others throats now where you would sooner fess up to your father being in the black and tans these days than admit he was a civil servant or a teacher...

The unions had one chance here to outflank this government and send them a message loud and clear, that all workers are united and that they don't have a beef with with each other but united together now, we all have a major beef with the government that has caused this mess through outrageous and insane tax policies that caused the property crash.

The unions had the opportunity to get the private and public sector workers up and down the country back on the same page here and then zero the artillery in on the real problem, which is an utterly useless government that doesn't give a sh*t about any worker in this country, public nor private worker...

The ICTU had one chance here to do the right thing, to unite Irish workers and mobilise them to face up to the real problem here, AND THEY BLEW IT...

The only jobs that this government has any notion of protecting are those occupied by the FF TD's in Dail Eireann...

Get Up Stand Up, are they trying to take the p*ss out of us or something?!?!?!?!?!?

David Begg and Jack O' Connor, YOU GET UP AND STAND UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE, this government is suceeding in making a laughing stock out of ALL workers in this country, both private and public sector workers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 victor11

Anybody know what the story is with the puppet march now? How many showed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Well, I suppose, at least there's some consolation in the fact that it has decided to piss rain for the protest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Darragh29 wrote: »
    The
    [/B]
    Get Up Stand Up, are they trying to take the p*ss out of us or something?!?!?!?!?!?

David Begg and Jack O' Connor, YOU GET UP AND STAND UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE, this government is suceeding in making a laughing stock out of ALL workers in this country, both private and public sector workers!!!
    And Begg and O'Connor are also having a right aul laugh with their €125K a year salaries bankrolled by poor sods who are fighting to save a few bob out of their wages. They would be better off just cancelling their union subs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How can Begg et all possibly cover both sides? If they protect jobs in the public sector then it's at the expense of the pirvate sector because taxes have to be hiked (or other things cut) to foot the wage bill. This will infuriate many in the private sector because the public sector will be seen as forcing their pay cut onto everybody.

If they support job cuts/pay cuts in the CS/PS so that not everyone bears the brunt (esp. for those private sector members who already have had their own cuts), then they'll risk the ire of their public servant members.

They've opted to go with where they're most embedded and resist any cuts in their public service members at the - ultimately - expense of everyone in the country (the largest proportion of which are private sector). So therefore people are annoyed with them and it's got nothing to do with childish accusations of smoke screens, etc.

The mupets & puppets show!
    Begg, O Connor, et al = Muppets
    All the blind followers = Puppets

If it wasnt so f*cking serious i'd actually laugh:mad:

victor11 wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story is with the puppet march now? How many showed up?

Apparently its around the 7K number at the moment in Dublin, no decent source for that info...

Sizzler wrote: »
    And Begg and O'Connor are also having a right aul laugh with their €125K a year salaries bankrolled by poor sods who are fighting to save a few bob out of their wages. They would be better off just cancelling their union subs.

If I was a member of SIPTU, I'd have been cancelling my membership after Jack O' Connor's performance on The Front Line last Monday. The country in a heap, leadership needed like never it was before and the best he can come up with is, "let's tax trophy houses"?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Hope it rains on the bunch of wasters gathered there.
    We need solutions to this problem and marches/strikes wont do anything to endear them to the private sector.

• Advertisement

There's a streaming webcam here:

http://www.getupstandup.ie/

Gardai are just stopping traffic now on O' Connell bridge now so it looks like the march will be passing over the bridge in the next few mins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I imagine eventually the PS will have to take a little pain.
    But you know what will happen after that?

The "quality" of service we get (you know all the grumpy faces, poor attitudes, no customer service, not answering the phone, the fobbing off, the ringing in sick all the time, the cronyism: basically all the stuff we already associate with the PS) will get even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Gardai are just stopping traffic now on O' Connell bridge now so it looks like the march will be passing over the bridge in the next few mins...

empty street :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Rb wrote: »
    Well, I suppose, at least there's some consolation in the fact that it has decided to piss rain for the protest :)

Talking about p**s, I wonder will any private sector do that in to a coffee or tea of someone marching who is paid 3 times more ?

If I was a member of SIPTU, I'd have been cancelling my membership after Jack O' Connor's performance on The Front Line last Monday. The country in a heap, leadership needed like never it was before and the best he can come up with is, "let's tax trophy houses"?!?!

I was a member once upon a time - Saw thru them fairly quickly.... only in it for their own benefit (financially & Never get in trouble with their employers).... About 5k (10 muppets & 4990 puppets) now according to Joe Duffy - Not a very resounding 'show of solidarity'...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Are all these people taking a days holiday for their lonely walk through town?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Are all these people taking a days holiday for their lonely walk through town?
    Civil service are - they're either using their flexi-time or vacation time. They're not getting paid for it anyway.

ixoy wrote: »
    Civil service are - they're either using their flexi-time or vacation time. They're not getting paid for it anyway.
    Just as well there must have been 400 Gardai :eek:

Crime rate for the afternoon in Dublin must have shot up tenfold :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

kippy wrote: »
    Theres plenty misinformation out there without you adding to it.
    I aint for or against any particilar group but it is a LIE to state that those private sector workers still in jobs have taken 20-30 % pay cuts. I know plenty private sector workers who thankfully havent lost their jobs, nor taken any cuts in pay,and I dont want them to either.

For every one private sector work that I know that *hasn't* been significantly impacted I know 2-3 that have lost 20-80% of their wages and another 1 that has lost their job.

One of the multitude of problems with the entire public sector.... What's vacation time??
    Flexitime - fair enough

• Advertisement

Is it just me or are they replaying the video every few mins to make it look 10,000 people have joined in on the march :o

When I walked down O'Connell St earlier they were being ignored. Talk about driving a wedge between themselves and the public.

The webcam set up by the ICTU here:

www.getupstandup.ie

To stream the video of the march has stopped working, you'd lose your job for such a cock up in the private sector!

One of the multitude of problems with the entire public sector.... What's vacation time??
    Flexitime - fair enough
    They are probably using one of their 10 undocumented compulsory sick days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is it just me or is that streaming video on a "Speed" style loop to make it look like there are more people passing by than are actually there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Flexitime - fair enough

I would imagine it's annual leave. As far as I know they have that in the private sector as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Of course they are getting paid for it.
    Arent holidays and flextime etc all paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

tunney wrote: »
    For every one private sector work that I know that *hasn't* been significantly impacted I know 2-3 that have lost 20-80% of their wages and another 1 that has lost their job.

Someone earlier suggested that ALL private sector workers still in a job had taken pay cuts.
    THIS IS FUNDAMENTALLY INCORRECT.

Annual Leave in the Private sector is holidays/vacation time and usually paid. In my experience if you asked for unpaid leave you'd be told to go take a jump..... Although in the current climate employers are now aggressivley pushing this option on EE's so as to protect jobs....
    Any news on the Muppet & Puppet Show... Have the reached the ludramans in Kildare st yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

20,000 according to RTE not bad for a wet work day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kippy wrote: »
    Someone earlier suggested that ALL private sector workers still in a job had taken pay cuts.
    THIS IS FUNDAMENTALLY INCORRECT.

Fact still remains that there are very few private sector workers left earning enough wages to pay for the salaries of people on twice their incomes. Only 10% of people left in a position to pay the 41% rate of PAYE tax. That's half the number of people from earlier in the year. I'm not sure if that figure covers private and public sector or just private sector. If it's across the private and public sector, then it's even more alarming. 50% of people aren't earning enough to pay tax at all. How the public sector thinks it's possible to squeeze enough tax from this working demographic to completely cover their current pay, allowances and benefits is beyond me. Perhaps by broadening the tax base to bring more people into the tax net, but not through the fairy tale policies that ICTU are proposing.

Advertisement