Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Brennan 5k -New Year Day Race.

• 06-11-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

For all you eager beavers wanting to run off some of the Turkey & Ham after Christmas, entry has now opened for the Tom Brennan 5k memorial race organised by Liffey Valley AC. Online entry possible this year for the first time....

http://www.liffeyvalleyac.com/newyearsday2010.html

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's all about getting a head start on the 1000 mile thread for next year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

robinph wrote: »
    It's all about getting a head start on the 1000 mile thread for next year. :D

it's the 2000 mile thread next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds like a penance run... sweat out all the beer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

shels4ever wrote: »

:eek: You mean we gotta do it all again next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

RoyMcC wrote: »
    :eek: You mean we gotta do it all again next year?

:D
    I for one can't wait for it, I'm predicting it to be far closer and I think there will be more entering it. We should probably start a new thread soon to discuss rules example you must be entered by a set date, none of this jumping in after you get your 1000 done, you should always know who your competition is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've only just made it to 500 this year though.

I do intend to go for this 5k on New Years though once I figure out where and when I will be around that time.

I've only just made it to 500 this year though.

I do intend to go for this 5k on New Years though once I figure out where and when I will be around that time.

:) yep but you did take a play break for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

i did this race last year, its a great race, nothing too cruel about the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Sweet, sounds good gdogg....i'll see you on the start line! might convince the missus too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm going to do this race. I did it last year and enjoyed it. Even though I done really poorly (not fit). Its a good way to stay off the booze on new years night and set the tone for the year. I don't know about you lot but I don't like going out for new years. Boring, I know.. Jools Holland is my date.
    Woddle wrote: »
    :D
    none of this jumping in after you get your 1000 done, you should always know who your competition is.

:o Guilty

• Advertisement

I'm going to do this race. I did it last year and enjoyed it. Even though I done really poorly (not fit). Its a good way to stay off the booze on new years night and set the tone for the year. I don't know about you lot but I don't like going out for new years. Boring, I know.. Jools Holland is my date.

I'm with you, will also be off the booze that night as I want a decent time at this, hope we get the same weather as last years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bren74

This race also has a team category if Boards AC are interested in registering one

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

This is always a good race....have done it for the last three years.......and as said previously hopefully the weather is as good as last year (although three years ago we were blown around a little to say the least;))...... the competition for the team prize is always really hot though, with all the dublin teams represented (the host club obviously looking to do really well!)

great start to new year hopefully

Going to be working NY eve so think i'll do this race, at least there is a good reason not to drink :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

gdogg09 wrote: »
    For all you eager beavers wanting to run off some of the Turkey & Ham after Christmas, entry has now opened for the Tom Brennan 5k memorial race organised by Liffey Valley AC.

hey all
    Do u need to be part of a club or can anyone run this race
    tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

gdogg09 wrote: »
    hey all
    Do u need to be part of a club or can anyone run this race
    tks

Everyone's welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 happy28

this looks good I think Ill give it a go.
    Will try and talk a few people into doing it with me.
    I do hate 5ks I find the more difficult than 10ks a everyone starts so much faster.
    I need a new PB so fingers crossed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hope to do this this year. I've been saying I'll do it the last two years so hopefully I'll bite the bullet this year.

How late can we leave it for registering, wouldn't like to commit to it but then end up going out and getting drunk the night before?

I think this could be a clubs race also, not sure.

• Advertisement

Liffey Valley organise this one I belive...?

Your right they do but what I meant was clubs can enter a team and compete against each other. If memory is correct I think stupid private got a voucher or sth for placing on his team, could be wrong

How late can we leave it for registering, wouldn't like to commit to it but then end up going out and getting drunk the night before?

You make it sound like its something you have no conrtol over :) ooops i got drunk

It starts at 1pm. You can still get drunk the night before.:D

You make it sound like its something you have no conrtol over :) ooops i got drunk
    Accidents do happen. :cool:
    It starts at 1pm. You can still get drunk the night before.:D
    It takes me a couple of days to recover from sessions these days.
    Woddle wrote: »
    Your right they do but what I meant was clubs can enter a team and compete against each other. If memory is correct I think stupid private got a voucher or sth for placing on his team, could be wrong
    In that case I'll resist the voices in my head telling me to get drunk if we can get a Boards AC team together. How many on a team, and who else is around?

It takes me a couple of days to recover from sessions these days.

Pipe and slippers time?

I'm in for sure.

It's not like I don't know how to use the interwebnet, I was just being lazy. Anyway, a very breif Googling says that you can register on the day, but online registration closes on the 23rd, teams need to be declared on the day with three to score.

http://www.liffeyvalleyac.com/newyearsday2010.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 gdogg09

It's a nice flat route too so pbs are a realistic possibility. Last year there were about 300 entrants but i'd expect more this year as word spreads. Should a good laugh anyways and a great way to ring in the new year. See ye there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think I'm up for a Boards AC team run-out for this one. I wonder is there a limit to the number of people you can register for a team, or do you just declare when you're picking up your number? Is it definitely 5k, or could it be shortened to 4k the night before due to health and safety issues? :)
    (Ok, i'll give it a rest!).

Just gone and entered this now, wouldn't expect there to be a limit on the team size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll probably give this a go, not sure I am good enough for the team, but would expect a PB (hopefully near the 21 min mark).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You've gotta love a race over a preset distance you haven't run before, so its a guaranteed PB for me :D

Took a look at the race route earlier. Lots of sharp corners (5 I think) for such a short distance. Looks pretty flat though.

You've gotta love a race over a preset distance you haven't run before, so its a guaranteed PB for me :D

Took a look at the race route earlier. Lots of sharp corners (5 I think) for such a short distance. Looks pretty flat though.

Yeah looks very flat, would be a great race for a PB if it wasn't on New Years Day. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just noticed that the closing date for on-line entry is Wed 23rd Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Hows this looking-re ice?
    Anybody know if its prone to freezing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bren74

Unfortunately the Tom Brennan New Years Day race is cancelled - looks like the predicted adverse weather conditions due on Thursday night will make conditions too dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Online entries will be refunded: see http://www.liffeyvalleyac.com/newyearsday2010.html

Advertisement