Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Bold Browsing Method

• 06-11-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi All

I have been given a Blackberry Bold in work to replace my old banjaxed curve and have a quick question.

The Bold has wifi where the curve did not. If I connect to a wifi network and then open up the browser does the browser automatically go out to the web over the wifi or just use the data plan? I can't see any way/option to manually specify to use the wifi as is available in the iPhone for example.

Anyone have a way of verifying this?

Same question applies to google maps, I know that google maps will use some of the data plan but for downloading info how do I know its connected to the wifi to do this rather than using my data plan.l

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

yes, you can specify what connection the web browser uses, wifi or your operators data connection.

Just open the browser and select 'Options' then 'General Properties' and change the 'Default Browser' option to 'Hotspot Browser' for wifi or 'Operator' for your operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Haven't used a BB in a while, but if I remember correctly, there is a separate browser for Wifi.:rolleyes: They may have changed this with a software update. To check if it's using Wifi or not, put the phone in airplane mode (probably called "turn wireless off" in the main menu) and then connect it to the Wifi. If it won't let you do that, you could connect it to Wifi, download some data and then check your usage stats on your phone network's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

hal9000 wrote: »
    yes, you can specify what connection the web browser uses, wifi or your operators data connection.

Just open the browser and select 'Options' then 'General Properties' and change the 'Default Browser' option to 'Hotspot Browser' for wifi or 'Operator' for your operator.

I dont have that option, the only Option in there is to choose "Blackberry Browser"
    mobius42 wrote: »
    Haven't used a BB in a while, but if I remember correctly, there is a separate browser for Wifi.:rolleyes: They may have changed this with a software update. To check if it's using Wifi or not, put the phone in airplane mode (probably called "turn wireless off" in the main menu) and then connect it to the Wifi. If it won't let you do that, you could connect it to Wifi, download some data and then check your usage stats on your phone network's website.

I did actually try that yesterday, before I put in the SIM card I connected to wifi and browsed away no problem.

My question is now that the SIM card IS in, how do I know which connection is being browsed off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

If it's connected to Wifi, it'll use the Wifi.

Advertisement