Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying A Used Games Console

Options
  • 06-11-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

What would the warranty be on a second hand console purchased from a retail store? I'm thinking about buying one and just want to know what I would be entitled to beforehand, in case something went wrong.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

your 12 month warranty would be contracted with the retailer. new or old

if it fails within those 12 months they have to offer a repair, replacement or refund. this choice is theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Antigone05 wrote: »
    your 12 month warranty would be contracted with the retailer. new or old

if it fails within those 12 months they have to offer a repair, replacement or refund. this choice is theirs
    There is no 12 month warranty offered matches stipulates the legal requirements that I'm aware of.

To OP, they the product has to be of merchantable quality; as it is second hand this means it should still work as well as a new but may have scratches etc. The whole 1 year warranty business is irrelevant as you have longer protection under the SoGA short of them selling it at a great discount to motivate the reduced quality,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You have the exact same rights as buying brand new; which says it must last for a reasonable period. Obviously, this will be less time on 2nd hand goods than brand new, but your rights are not diminished at all. A lot of stores will offer something stupid like a 3 or 6 month warranty, but this has no basis in consumer law at all.

What exactly a reasonable period on pre-owned goods is, is anyone's guess, but would likely depend on it's current age and condition.

Advertisement