Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workers Walk Today

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jimmmy wrote: »
    wonder why the link does not work on a signature ?

Probably because what you say in it is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Just had another good look at the report

Others in the Public Sector Includes persons not elsewhere classified i.e. Dáil Éireann TDs, Garda students and CSO
    temporary field staff. In June 2009 there were 166 Dáil TDs, 600 Garda students and
    approximately 10 CSO temporary field staff. This category was previously included under the
    Civil Service sub-sector but they are now included as a sub-sector on their own.

This means there is a total of 776 people in the section "Others in the Public Sector"

According to the graph the average wage per week is

656.61 Others in the Public Sector

So their average wage is 656.61.

Seems very very low considering the TD's allowences and expenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Riskymove wrote: »
    Mr Breathnach, the link works in post 184, when its not part of a signature. Your logic is therefore proved flawed yet again.

Mr Breathnach, the link works in post 184, when its not part of a signature. Your logic is therefore proved flawed yet again.

What you say in your sig is untrue.

What you say in your sig is untrue.
    What you say above is untrue.

• Advertisement

What you say above is untrue.

You know, jimmmy, I think you really believe what you are saying. But you are wrong. You have no evidence that "Average Irish public sector pay is over € 973 p.w.". The link you give does not support what you say.

You know, jimmmy, I think you really believe what you are saying. But you are wrong. You have no evidence that "Average Irish public sector pay is over € 973 p.w.". The link you give does not support what you say.

I have copied + pasted from the cso website ;)

'Tis good enough for me, and RTE and most of the media it seems too...

I have copied + pasted from the cso website ;)

'Tis good enough for me, and RTE and most of the media it seems too...

I see that you have edited your sig. That indicates that you recognise that you were wrong. I don't expect a frank admission that you were: it's not your style.

I see that you have edited your sig. That indicates that you recognise that you were wrong. I don't expect a frank admission that you were: it's not you style.

I changed it to put in the words "excluding health" ....if health were included ( including all those highly qualified medical people, consultants, layers of managers etc ) then the total would be even higher. If you want to be exact , fine. I also added the 9 cents, rather than rounding it off. ;)

I changed it to put in the words "excluding health" ....if health were included ( including all those highly qualified medical people, consultants, layers of managers etc ) then the total would be even higher.

You don't know that.
    If you want to be exact , fine. I also added the 9 cents, rather than rounding it off. ;)

It's not a matter of being exact; it's a matter of being truthful.

• Advertisement

You don't know that..
    Everyone else does.
    Anyway, I have said excluding health now, in my signature, to keep you happy.;)
    It's not a matter of being exact; it's a matter of being truthful.
    The truth ( according to the c.s.o., whom I trust ) is € 973.09. It is not 973.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Given average pay in the Gardai - across all personnell + grades - is 60 k, you know as well as I do that finishing salary is higher.

this is the part I have an issue with

it is a conjecture of yours that average finishing pay must be higher than the average pay

there is no evidence put forward for this, the average pay is based across all grades but as I said 50% of garda pensioners retired as regular guards

Therefore your figure for garda pension cannot be accurate, and I ask to to back up your statement with proof or a link, instead of plucking a figure out of the air which is inconsistent with facts and logic.

I did not pluck any figures put of the air, I told you its based on the 2009 Estimates, its published material

http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=5753&CatID=13&StartDate=1+January+2009&m=f

page 91 sets out the expenditure for garda pensions and numbers of relevant grades

I notice now that I think I did the calculations using the 2008 outturn rather than 2009 estimate but the figures are only slightly different anyway
    I have already explained to you how if you have a fixed number ( eg the 20 billion payroll budget ) and you lower the figure you divide it by ( eg 330,000 public servants instead of 350,000 ), you get a higher earning per public servant ! Have you understood this yet ?

I always understood that jimmmy

as i said above if you divide €20bn by a certain number you get X

If you divide €20bn by a higher figure you get Y.....and Y will be lower than X

thats straightforward maths

However.....the issue you dont seem to get is that €20bn is not the figure you use to get average pay...whats needed is the total aggregate salaries of the public servants

and if you include all 370,000 staff you get one figure...however if you exclude 30,000 or whatever, then you get another figure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

S.L.F wrote: »

So their average wage is 656.61.
    Seems very very low considering the TD's allowences and expenses

yes I posted about that before

its a slight of hand to reduce the average for TDs....sly move alright

this is the part I have an issue with

it is a conjecture of yours that average finishing pay must be higher than the average pay
    If average pay ( for the sake of argument ) is 60 k among the Gardai working now, then these Gardai if there are no promotions or salary increases between now + when each of them retires , are entitled to 30k a year plus 90k tax free lump sum on retirement. However, many of them still years from retirement, especially the younger ones , can reasonably expect to be promoted or have grade increases between now + retirement age. That is why the average salary Gardai have just before retirement has to be higher than the average Garda salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

HSE are ringing around cancelling appoints for the 24th November as the unions have told the staff they are striking that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Trampas wrote: »
    HSE are ringing around cancelling appoints for the 24th November as the unions have told the staff they are striking that day.
    W@nkers. The "mega rich" whom their unions want to tax to make up the defecit (insert big rolleyes) will be unaffected by such measures as they can p!ss off the the Mater Private etc. but the vulnerable and just the ordinary PAYE taxpayer will feel it. Ingrates the lot of them! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

I heard a rumor that the reason why the nurses numbers need to be cut because they can't get rid of the admin and middle management people in the hse therefore the nurses need to go.

If this true that is disgraceful.

I heard a rumor that the reason why the nurses numbers need to be cut because they can't get rid of the admin and middle management people in the hse therefore the nurses need to go.

But if it's not true then it wouldn't be disgraceful.

yes I posted about that before

its a slight of hand to reduce the average for TDs....sly move alright

I'm sure if they put all the real high earners into the same group they would reduce the average for the rest of the Public service by a lot.

The trainee garda get something small like €200 a week and there is about 600 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

S.L.F wrote: »
    The trainee garda get something small like €200 a week and there is about 600 of them.

People training in University/College get nothing, you could argue these figures shouldn't be included in the averages as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

we are over nursed in this country but thats beside the point

they let go whoever is cheaper to let go , a nurse not a wet week in the job is cheap to let go as she has bugger all redundancy entitlements , some pen pushing dickhead ( 30 years in the job ) counting the days till he retires in an office at the bottom of the hall is much more expensive to can

unions again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We do actually need administrative staff in the HSE! Not as many as we have but we do need some.

Arathorn wrote: »
    People training in University/College get nothing, you could argue these figures shouldn't be included in the averages as well.

You are quite correct and we can take the cost of my lunch out too because that has about as much relevance.
    irish_bob wrote: »
    some pen pushing dickhead ( 30 years in the job ) counting the days till he retires in an office at the bottom of the hall is much more expensive to can

Yeah counting the 3652 more days (10 more years including 2 29 feb days) Yeah Baby!!!
    murphaph wrote: »
    We do actually need administrative staff in the HSE! Not as many as we have but we do need some.

Just not politicial appointees...

Advertisement