Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism Rife In Aus

Options
  • 06-11-2009 11:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that having lived in Aus over the last 2 months that racism is rife in Aus, im currently living in a lovely hostel with a lot of people from India and Pakistan and also China and they tell me every day of there enconters of extreme racism from being called names to being attacked, i must say there i have also being subjected to smart comments for being Irish but not anywhere near as some other peole, for example i was talking to a manager of a shop to which i applied and she bascially told me in a very agressive manner we only hire local people:eek: to which i got quiet hot headed and said oh basically you only hire lazy Aussies so:D, in quiet a number of jobs ive applied to there seems to be a relutance to hire people on work holiday visas and thats fine but its the above statement from a manger that i find hard to accept and it seems to be a common trend against foreign people espically of colour, my question is has any other people on here noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

work in the cbd and see every nationality working in every type of job and no issues.
    havent seen to many islanders getting hassle hehe...
    do see people from the sub continent getting grief but I reckon they are being judged by the behaviour of some of their fellow compatriots.
    some asian do get hassle but that goes back to the days of the yellow peril (and ww2 and the treatment of aussie pow's).

all in all its no different than any other utopia

meant to add inter racial marriages are very common and also same sex relationships dont raise an eyebrow. however I guess where you live will affect what you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Are you ****ing serious posting this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61942425&postcount=30

We have the same problems as Ireland so I would show you where to stick it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

In other news, the sun is hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Jumpy wrote: »

BUSTED!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

basically you only hire lazy Aussies so:D,
    Dude not cool at all, this is their country
    in quiet a number of jobs ive applied to there seems to be a relutance to hire people on work holiday visas and thats fine but its the above statement from a manger that i find hard to accept and it seems to be a common trend against foreign people espically of colour, my question is has any other people on here noticed this?

Mate we cant hire people on WHV's because it costs money to train people and its a pain to do so over an over. A manager was actually telling you the truth and if anything should be a least thanked for telling it straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Zambia232 wrote: »

Exactly. OP seriously dont be boastful about that sh1t, You are fukking it up for every other Irish person after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Mate we cant hire people on WHV's because it costs money to train people and its a pain to do so over an over. A manager was actually telling you the truth and if anything should be a least thanked for telling it straight.

Exactly, I'm in the same boat.
    We have loads of casualy staff because of the industry we're in. But at certain times we do need longer term staff, 6-9months min.
    If a person only has maybe 6 months left on their visa, I'm not going to hire them for full time work or anything with responsibity.
    I'd prefer to give work to other people ie. nz residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Cant find the article i was looking for.....dang it, but take a glance at this! http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/new-south-wales-is-australias-most-racist-state_100101375.html

I spent a number of years in Australia, loved it,I DIDNT suffer racial abuse just a bit of the usual banter, to which i abused them back, made good friends!!
    Australia is founded on a mix of many nationalities, apart from the Aboriginae natives, before any of us WHITIES set foot there, prob 150 or so years ago..
    In my line of work, my australian boss (as Oz as you could get) told me if i was ever to return he would take me on before he would take on his own nationality, & i still have many austaralian friends

Ireland is prob the most Racist country i know & i'm well travelled!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

No actually it's not there country. It belongs to the native aboriginal people who lived there since time began. Australians are easily the most racist people on planet earth, and I don't mean the real Australians.

No actually it's not there country. It belongs to the native aboriginal people who lived there since time began. Australians are easily the most racist people on planet earth, and I don't mean the real Australians.

I mean their!

• Advertisement

Yes, a people made up of pretty much every race in the world are the most racist people on planet earth. Well done you.

It wasnt until I came to Ireland that I witnessed true racism.

How do you know the manager involved was not a aboriginal?

That's as racist as saying that Ireland belongs only to White Catholics. Mate grow up and stop spouting half baked tripe you read on the back of a bad t-shirt.

Yes, a people made up of pretty much every race in the world are the most racist people on planet earth. Well done you.

It wasnt until I came to Ireland that I witnessed true racism.
    Jumpy you should have lived in Belfast. I was hated racially by people the same colour as me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

People on WHVs in any country will find it hard get taken seriously for jobs, very much applies in NZ too but its for practicle reasons. Travellers won't stay long, are likely to vanish whenever they want and the cost of hiring/training then replacing them when they bolt somewhere else for six monthes is prohibitive.

I wouldnt tarnish all Ozzies with the same brush at all. Most urban people were very multicultural but some of the rednecks in the outback were totally anti-black of any description, even plain anti-anyone who's not "from" here. Indeginous people the world over have been screwed by colonialism, that's just the way history went. They're still treated as second class citizens in many ways and probably always will be sadly. Their way of life and values just arent compatible with European thinking of whats right and whats wrong.

How do you know the manager involved was not a aboriginal?

That's as racist as saying that Ireland belongs only to White Catholics. Mate grow up and stop spouting half baked tripe you read on the back of a bad t-shirt.

How do I know the manager wasn't an Aboriginal? You must be joking right? An Aboriginal would be very unlikely toget a job, let alone the position as a manager.
    How is that the same? According to your logic it's alright to take what you want when you want by sheer force. The Aboriginals where slaughtered by Anglo/Celtic tribes. It's definately not Anglo land and they can never truly call it theirs untill they give the aboriginals some human rights. Lets see how long a white would last in the outback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

pclancy wrote: »
    People on WHVs in any country will find it hard get taken seriously for jobs, very much applies in NZ too but its for practicle reasons. Travellers won't stay long, are likely to vanish whenever they want and the cost of hiring/training then replacing them when they bolt somewhere else for six monthes is prohibitive.

True, sadly. Am finding it difficult to get work at the moment, a few interviews but no luck yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It belongs to the native aboriginal people who lived there since time began.

Well this is BS as well since the Aboriginal people are originally descended from travellers from Polynesia. Land doesn't 'belong' to anyone though granted, what happened to the Aborginal people then and since then is barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

How do I know the manager wasn't an Aboriginal? You must be joking right? An Aboriginal would be very unlikely toget a job, let alone the position as a manager.

That's BS the Warehousing supervisor at my work is Aboriginal and he is a very hard working man.
    The Aboriginals where slaughtered by Anglo/Celtic tribes. It's definately not Anglo land and they can never truly call it theirs untill they give the aboriginals some human rights.

Now Now..... the Aboriginals did a fair bit of slaugherting themselves, there where many inter-tribal wars for thousands of years before the white man set foot in Australia, and also aboriginals did murder white settlers/deportees as well.
    Lets see how long a white would last in the outback?
    Plenty of white men survived in the outback, you dont have to be a blackfella to learn how to survive. Try looking up the term 'Bushies'
    m@cc@ wrote: »
    Well this is BS as well since the Aboriginal people are originally descended from travellers from Polynesia.
    They actually came over a land bridge from what is now Indonesia about 40,000 years ago,

, i must say there i have also being subjected to smart comments for being Irish but not anywhere near as some other people

No big deal, I have had smart comments said to me and I give back as good as I recieved because it was only done in Jest I think its called having a sense of humor.
    told me in a very agressive manner we only hire local people:eek: to which i got quiet hot headed and said oh basically you only hire lazy Aussies so:D, in quiet a number of jobs ive applied to there seems to be a relutance to hire people on work holiday visas and thats fine

Well are you not surprised ??? the Australian government policy 12 months ago was to encourge employers to hire their own (Australians) because of the looming Global Finacial Crisis.....(hence the reduction on migration) If Ireland would have done the same it might not be in the mess it is today... Instead Billions of Euros was sucked/leeched out of the Irish economy into Eastern Europe and Africa by the migrants there.

told me in a very agressive manner we only hire local people

its the above statement from a manger that i find hard to accept and it seems to be a common trend against foreign people espically of colour, my question is has any other people on here noticed this?

It is a managers discretion to hire someone who is capable of doing the job, someone might have the correct technical qualification to do the job but there are other many other factors that would not make them the primary candidate.

1. Communication, some foreign people might have a severe lack of spoken English or a very heavy accent which might be a hindrance to proper communication.

2. Apperance and personal hygeine, Managers discretion to employ someone who will fit into the company, really who feels they can work with some who maybe has a serious hygeine issue.

3. Trustworthiness, Some people just do not look trustworthy to do some jobs and its the managers discretion wether to employ or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

Personally I (like the OP) found the Aussies quite racist. I know it was about 8 years ago when I was out there, but the Jobs ads in the papers that said “No Irish, No British, No working Holiday Visas, No Foreigners” really said it all.
    I understood it though, as the Visa restrictions said you could only work a max of 3 months somewhere and who wants to hire someone for 3 months! The thing was most people (WHV) going for jobs though, were promising working for longer and then doing runner after 3 months, so there was no trust!
    That said, my sister is an Australian and only because of that, I got work in her area! One of the guys we worked with there seemed perfectly normal, until the day he started going on about the way the Bible (apparently) tells us that all Ni**ers and Jews go straight to hell etc ……
    Having lived in the UK I also saw people being racist towards Irish, Asians and Indians.
    But I have to say, I have seen as many people being racist since returning to Ireland as I did in the UK!

• Advertisement

How is that the same? According to your logic it's alright to take what you want when you want by sheer force. The Aboriginals where slaughtered by Anglo/Celtic tribes. It's definately not Anglo land and they can never truly call it theirs untill they give the aboriginals some human rights. Lets see how long a white would last in the outback?

Sins of the fathers are not paid by their sons.

Tell me the human right that is denied by the non aboriginal community to a current day aboriginal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sins of the fathers are not paid by their sons.

Tell me the human right that is denied by the non aboriginal community to a current day aboriginal?

The right to their land for a start? The Aboriginals got arguably the worst deal in late colonial history, compare their treatment to the Maori in NZ.
    The Maori were able to negotiate because they had a treaty, the Aboriginals got nothing.
    Not to mention the stealing of their children, forcible dispossession of their lands..
    Truly Australia's history in regard to the original inhabitants is shameful.
    and ongoing.

For the same reason I dont talk about what went on in the North, I find it quite funny that people who could have no idea about a subject except what they can find on Google would get into an in depth discussion about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For the same reason I dont talk about what went on in the North, I find it quite funny that people who could have no idea about a subject except what they can find on Google would get into an in depth discussion about it.

Who are you accusing of googling, Me? I have Lived and worked in FNQ, I saw aboriginals being stuck in the back of what looked like dog vans, and lots more besides that to reinforce my opinion of Australia being a racist country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

It’s weird here; sometimes people do come out and say the most racist things. Things just out of the blue.

I was sitting at my desk and the guy from IT was complaining about the people who had come to install the new network system (or some such thing I wasn’t really listing) to another guy in the office. Apparently when they went to make the final connection the wire was 1m too short.

The IT guy actually said “It was like they where Irish or something.”.

He’s not the first person I’ve heard say things like this although to be fair that was the first Irish one I heard.

I don’t think a lot of people don’t realize just how racist they are being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ah leave them alone, ffs I would like to see what would happen if grafton street had the ratio of asian to Irish that can be seen on Swanston Street.

Dublin had a riot afew years back because of intolerance so I dont think we have any stance tbh and the Polish werent exactly welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Doc wrote: »
    Apparently when they went to make the final connection the wire was 1m too short.

The IT guy actually said “It was like they where Irish or something.”.

Maybe he's just heard a lot about the Port Tunnel/anything about Irish infrastructure or event organisation? :pac:

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The right to their land for a start? The Aboriginals got arguably the worst deal in late colonial history, compare their treatment to the Maori in NZ.
    The Maori were able to negotiate because they had a treaty, the Aboriginals got nothing.
    Not to mention the stealing of their children, forcible dispossession of their lands..
    Truly Australia's history in regard to the original inhabitants is shameful.
    and ongoing.

If you are going top answer the question answer the question.

Give me the name of the aboriginal whose human rights are currently (today like) being denied and associated person who is denying them same.

If you are going top answer the question answer the question.

Give me the name of the aboriginal whose human rights are currently (today like) being denied and associated person who is denying them same.

Im actually part Aboriginal, my rights are far worse off here in Ireland than they ever were in Australia.
    I personally was never thrown in the back of a paddy wagon (ok, that is a racist name for a police van). Even when I was in North Queensland.
    I have been left waiting in A&E for about 12 hours here though. Its slavery I tell you.

Jonjo though ... you are not going to have a nice time in Australia I suspect. We dont take crap in any form, and you sound like you like to give it.
    Dont mistake bluntness for rudeness though, we say it like it is, some people find that rude for some reason. I prefer the word "honest".

• Advertisement

Im actually part Aboriginal, my rights are far worse off here in Ireland than they ever were in Australia.
    I personally was never thrown in the back of a paddy wagon (ok, that is a racist name for a police van). Even when I was in North Queensland.
    I have been left waiting in A&E for about 12 hours here though. Its slavery I tell you.

Jonjo though ... you are not going to have a nice time in Australia I suspect. We dont take crap in any form, and you sound like you like to give it.
    Dont mistake bluntness for rudeness though, we say it like it is, some people find that rude for some reason. I prefer the word "honest".

Cheers Jumpy thanks for your input.

Advertisement