Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism Rife In Aus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Doc wrote: »
    It’s weird here; sometimes people do come out and say the most racist things. Things just out of the blue.

I was sitting at my desk and the guy from IT was complaining about the people who had come to install the new network system (or some such thing I wasn’t really listing) to another guy in the office. Apparently when they went to make the final connection the wire was 1m too short.

The IT guy actually said “It was like they where Irish or something.”.

He’s not the first person I’ve heard say things like this although to be fair that was the first Irish one I heard.

I don’t think a lot of people don’t realize just how racist they are being.

Doc - react to it. Say "Sorry, excuse me, WHAT did you just say?" Because as you yourself, people often don't realise until they've spoken. I deal with the public every day in my job, as does the other half - and both of us point it out every time someone makes a comment or a joke, especially if the implication is that we're stupid because we're irish. One yob at a time, we'll convert them eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have Lived and worked in FNQ, I saw aboriginals being stuck in the back of what looked like dog vans, and lots more besides that to reinforce my opinion of Australia being a racist country.
    You are talking about a Paddy wagon.

I seen plenty of white people stuck in the back of Paddy Wagons in Sydney.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    I personally was never thrown in the back of a paddy wagon (ok, that is a racist name for a police van). Even when I was in North Queensland.

Being Irish I dont find Paddy Wagon offensive or racist.

Its an American term

Paddy Wagon
    noun informal
    a police van.
    ORIGIN 1930s: paddy from Paddy , perhaps because formerly many American police officers were of Irish descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Its actually called the Divvy Van, well thats whats the Aussies here call it.

Short for Divisional Van.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Its actually called the Divvy Van, well thats whats the Aussies here call it.

Short for Divisional Van.

Its defnitely Paddy Wagon in Sydney, everyone calls it that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

in most outback townd its called the Dog Box

once watched the Cops in Boulder take a rather rowdy and drunken Blackfella, shove him in the back and did donuts, then dump his dizzy nd bruised arse back on the street :D:D:D

jaysus ya see some mental sh1te in the Outback tho :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Just to add to this argument, we actually have a cheese called Coon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

you are aware of the recent 'Hey Hey' Blackface incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

It seems to me that having lived in Aus over the last 2 months that racism is rife in Aus, im currently living in a lovely hostel with a lot of people from India and Pakistan and also China and they tell me every day of there enconters of extreme racism from being called names to being attacked, i must say there i have also being subjected to smart comments for being Irish but not anywhere near as some other peole, for example i was talking to a manager of a shop to which i applied and she bascially told me in a very agressive manner we only hire local people:eek: to which i got quiet hot headed and said oh basically you only hire lazy Aussies so:D, in quiet a number of jobs ive applied to there seems to be a relutance to hire people on work holiday visas and thats fine but its the above statement from a manger that i find hard to accept and it seems to be a common trend against foreign people espically of colour, my question is has any other people on here noticed this?

Same thing happens here in Dublin everyday to the Chinese, Polish, and Nigerians.

At the end of the day most people just want a job, a living wage, and to live in peace.

Hopefully when other Irish people like yourself who have experienced racism abroad will come home having gained a new perspective and we can all start getting along better with one another.

you are aware of the recent 'Hey Hey' Blackface incident

Its not recent. Its a repeat of the original except this time MJ was white.

That show was always like that, I am surprised it lasted that long.

I remember Red Symonds telling a joke;

Red: "Its not right and its not fair"

Daryl: "What isn't?"

Red: "Kamahls left leg"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ozzie's known for racism is not exactly news.

• Advertisement

This Racism issues seems to pop up here on this board a lot, if Australia is as racist as everyone makes out then why are all these Sri Lankan and Bangladesh boat people prefer to come to Australia rather than other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

mandrake04 wrote: »
    This Racism issues seems to pop up here on this board a lot, if Australia is as racist as everyone makes out then why are all these Sri Lankan and Bangladesh boat people prefer to come to Australia rather than other country.

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dunno, maybe something about them getting a visa for setting their boat on fire while skilled workers have to jump through hoops and pay through the t1ts for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Coopers pale ale

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anon41

It seems to me that having lived in Aus over the last 2 months that racism is rife in Aus, im currently living in a lovely hostel with a lot of people from India and Pakistan and also China and they tell me every day of there enconters of extreme racism from being called names to being attacked, i must say there i have also being subjected to smart comments for being Irish but not anywhere near as some other peole, for example i was talking to a manager of a shop to which i applied and she bascially told me in a very agressive manner we only hire local people:eek: to which i got quiet hot headed and said oh basically you only hire lazy Aussies so:D, in quiet a number of jobs ive applied to there seems to be a relutance to hire people on work holiday visas and thats fine but its the above statement from a manger that i find hard to accept and it seems to be a common trend against foreign people espically of colour, my question is has any other people on here noticed this?

Welcome to Australia! you'll see this time amd time again, just have to get used of it, Its the way their culture is or it will drive you insane :eek:
    Some of the things I've heard people say at work you'd be fired for in Ireland for sure.

anon41 wrote: »
    just have to get used of it.

Are you from Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

There was a bit of a hoo-haa recently because there are sweets in NZ called Eskimos (they're rank, btw I think they use them to make lolly cake which is also rank).

Someone visiting NZ from Canada said the term eskimo was racist and wanted the name changed. She wrote letters in to radio stations and they go read people were talking about it for a bit. Mostly they were laughing about it!

So they're you going, kiwis are racist and eskimo is a racist term!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

hussey wrote: »
    Coopers pale ale

You can get pale and sparkling in Ireland now , funnily the refugees have gone off ireland all the same:rolleyes:

Seriously they are very racist and you better be ready to tolerate irish jokes on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Making Irish jokes is not exactly the end of the world. Most of the jokes revolve around us being a bit dim, Bertie Ahern was on a higher wage than Kevin Rudd or George Bush. Can we really blame other nations for slagging us of?

Is there a nation we could all be arsed living in that does not?

To say Racism is rife in Australia would be to say Austrlia is a Racist country. This is not true. There are racists in Australia but show me a country free from racism.

Precisely. If I had a euro for everytime I have heard "a dingo ate my baby" or "what do you call them over there then? Chuzwazzas?" I would have about 15 euros.
    Ok its not much, but you get the gist.
    I was also told by an Irishman over here that the Irish actually started those "What is the latest Irish invention" jokes. Except they use the word "Kerry" instead.

• Advertisement

My boss told me a 'very Irish' story about a guy robbing a cement mixer from a site and rolled it into his garage 3 doors up the road leaving mud tracks right to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i cant blame them really i feel like this with foreign people in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

watna wrote: »
    There was a bit of a hoo-haa recently because there are sweets in NZ called Eskimos (they're rank, btw I think they use them to make lolly cake which is also rank).

Someone visiting NZ from Canada said the term eskimo was racist and wanted the name changed. She wrote letters in to radio stations and they go read people were talking about it for a bit. Mostly they were laughing about it!

So they're you going, kiwis are racist and eskimo is a racist term!

Well that one who wrote up those letters is a bit of a tool and needs something more constructive to do.

Advertisement