Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea's Transfer Ban Suspended.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

YES! We will win the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Chelsea have had their ban suspended by the court of arbitration.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5677832,00.html

Need more info on it.

It is suspended pending appeal, I would assume. So Chelsea's January spending still depends on the appeal and when it is. There was talk FIFA would try to get it done in December, which would mean (if the appeal is not successful) that Chelsea could still be unable to purchase in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

CHD wrote: »

BUY the league?

We might not win the league!

BUY the league?
    lol

Sign players to help win the league when Drogba and Essien are away and tired after obviously. If this is buying the league then yeah, we would be doing that like United have in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We could see a very busy January window if the appeal is delayed until the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i HATE BEING RIGHT

but I tolda ya CHD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Who could ye buy though?

Ancelotti likes his Fogies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BUY the league?

ha, i still laugh at these comments.

as if nobody else ever bought big.

without signing new quality players to supplement your squad on a regular basis, you're very unlikely to be very successful.

i'm no chelsea fan, but to be fair, they had the bones of a quality team before they supplemented it with the likes of carvalho, drogba and makelele (back in the day!)

they're not the worst ever at it.

Boggles wrote: »
    Who could ye buy though?

Ancelotti likes his Fogies.
    We can outbid yous for superstars who will then stay put :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

villa would be the big one i reckon, dont think he's cup tied for europe either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

event wrote: »
    villa would be the big one i reckon, dont think he's cup tied for europe either

Would he move country though, 5- 6 months from a world cup?

When your David Villa your not getting dropped. Would he not get in if he stayed in la liga and got injured and missed a few months? Of course he would move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TBH I dont expect Chelsea to buy in the January transfer window, looking at the squad we dont need anybody at the moment. I can see us spending in the summer for sure but I doubt in January.

We will need some youth and quality in the summer, but from now until then we are ok, we still have the best squad of players available to any premier league team.

Yes Drogba, Essien, Mikel will be missed but looking at our premier league fixture list we dont have the toughest month. Anelka can easily replace drogba, gives us a different option and hes last years top scorer. The lads in midfield will be replaced by any number of Deco, Belletti, Lamoard,Ballack,J Cole,Malouda.

We are fine for January, keep the money until the summer.;)

gavredking wrote: »
    TBH I dont expect Chelsea to buy in the January transfer window, looking at the squad we dont need anybody at the moment. I can see us spending in the summer for sure but I doubt in January.

We will need some youth and quality in the summer, but from now until then we are ok, we still have the best squad of players available to any premier league team.

Yes Drogba, Essien, Mikel will be missed but looking at our premier league fixture list we dont have the toughest month. Anelka can easily replace drogba, gives us a different option and hes last years top scorer. The lads in midfield will be replaced by any number of Deco, Belletti, Lamoard,Ballack,J Cole,Malouda.

We are fine for January, keep the money until the summer.;)
    Would imagine they will look to sign pre-contract and transfer agreements in January at least. That way they don't disrupt the squad mid-season, players aren't move mid-World Cup Year and they would, officially, be Chelsea players in January so could move to them in the summer, regardless of the outcome of the appeal.

Would imagine they will look to sign pre-contract and transfer agreements in January at least. That way they don't disrupt the squad mid-season, players aren't move mid-World Cup Year and they would, officially, be Chelsea players in January so could move to them in the summer, regardless of the outcome of the appeal.
    That wouldn't work, we can't register players in Jan to play for us from August on. Can't see us signing players and loaning them back til the end of the season, nobody decent anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Aye I reckon there'll be deals done in January but no linking up until apres world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

+1 That is something i agree with, but I dont expect to see any new signings come through the doors during the January transfer window.

why not?

sure who will replace him in the spain team?

and if enough money is thrown at him, he may move

but chelsea need players for when the ANC boys leave

• Advertisement

That wouldn't work, we can't register players in Jan to play for us from August on. Can't see us signing players and loaning them back til the end of the season, nobody decent anyway.

Why not?

Villa for instance. If Valencia are willing to sell and got an offer for (argument sake) 40million from Chelsea with a view to Villa arriving at Chelsea in the summer, and a 40million bid from United with a view to Villa arriving immediately - surely the Chelsea offer is a lot more appealing for them. From Villa's perspective - it means he gets his 'big' move, but without having to adjust to a new country and league part way through the season, a few months before the World Cup. Yeah, Spain are not going to drop him regardless or what patchey form he might encounter if he moved to a new team/country in January, but if he form dipped as a result of the move, it could effect him in the World Cup - an issue which could play a part in any decision Villa might have to make in January on a possible move.

Seems like a good outcome for Chelsea, for Villa and for Valencia.

I don't see why such an arrangement would not be something Chelsea would look at for whichever players they might have planned to sign next summer.

event wrote: »
    but chelsea need players for when the ANC boys leave

What, 2 players, for a few not so tough games? I think they'd look long term to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Why not?

Villa for instance. If Valencia are willing to sell and got an offer for (argument sake) 40million from Chelsea with a view to Villa arriving at Chelsea in the summer, and a 40million bid from United with a view to Villa arriving immediately - surely the Chelsea offer is a lot more appealing for them. From Villa's perspective - it means he gets his 'big' move, but without having to adjust to a new country and league part way through the season, a few months before the World Cup. Yeah, Spain are not going to drop him regardless or what patchey form he might encounter if he moved to a new team/country in January, but if he form dipped as a result of the move, it could effect him in the World Cup - an issue which could play a part in any decision Villa might have to make in January on a possible move.

I don't see why such an arrangement would not be something Chelsea would look at for whichever players they might have planned to sign next summer.

CHD's right. If we arranged to sign someone but not til the summer we still couldn't register him. We'd have to buy him and then loan him back ASAP.

I'd like Aguero but I also think we need another option in centre mid with Deco and Ballack getting older and Essien and Mikel flying off to Africa. Someone like Cattermole

Why not?

It wouldn't work because we won't be allowed register players in the summer, we will be banned again probably. We will have to sign in Jan. We could buy players and loan them back but i can't see any club wanting to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

You have to look at this whole situation from Chelsea's perspective.

Lets say they know they are guilty. Then they are clearly going down the innocent until proven guilty road. In which case this appeal is a chance to sign players in January that they will not be able to sign in the summer. Expect to see signings if that is the case.

If they think they are innocent then they could expect to see the ban over turned completely and will not be too bothered about January unless they really feel the need to bring in players to replace those who are absent during the African Nations Cup.

Personally I feel the fact that FIFA were so quick to ban them in the first place and have not backtracked on this that Chelsea are indeed guilty. Therefore I am inclined to go with the first scenario I described. January could well be a busy month for them unless the appeal is held in December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

So David Villa is on his way to Stamford Bridge :rolleyes:

JP Liz wrote: »
    So David Villa is on his way to Stamford Bridge :rolleyes:
    Ever heard of an example :rolleyes:

It wouldn't work because we won't be allowed register players in the summer, we will be banned again probably. We will have to sign in Jan. We could buy players and loan them back but i can't see any club wanting to do that.

but that is my point - Surely clubs would want to do that (for top players) more than they would want to sell them in January. I can see Valencia being way more open to selling Villa in January and getting him back on loan then selling him outright in January. I would say Villa would be more open to it too.

I doubt it is in clubs interests to sell and loan back tbh

• Advertisement

I doubt it is in clubs interests to sell and loan back tbh

It is if it helps them to bring in players in the summer for next season, when they could be banned from doing so.

I have certainly read a few articles saying that it is a route chelsea are looking at.

What, 2 players, for a few not so tough games? I think they'd look long term to be honest.

this is chelsea though

long term? yer having a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This makes shag all difference.

Chelsea don't need any players.

During the ANC, the diamond can be made up of Ballack, Lampard plus two from Malouda, Deco, J.Cole and perhaps Jerkoff (maybe even Belletti as well?).

Anekla and Kalou can play up front.

The thing about buying players to cover the ANC is that Chelsea already have great players.

So, in theory, they'd have to buy someone to replace Essien for a month, who'd have to be better than say Ballack filling in there but would still be replaced by Essien when he came back.

Same up front. They need someone better than Kalou but who's essentially going to be a sub at best when the Drogba/Anekla partnership resumes.

Don't think it makes much sense. Obviously they could look towards the future and buy a really excellent player for long term squad depth, but then you're going to end up with someone on 100K plus a week or whatever sitting on the bench.

kalou will be gone as well sure

chelsea dont really have much depth up front. kalou is ok but not good enough.
    i reckon they will only buy a striker, be grand in midfield but i think up front they will add, sure tehy tried to get aguero in the summer.

it will be him or villa imo

We need a class striker and a young enough decent central midfielder. We will go afer that imo.

We need a class striker and a young enough decent central midfielder. We will go afer that imo.

what's wrong with anelka ?

or even the high rated sturridge as a back up ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Same here, I reckon there will be a big push to sign a top young striker, it has Aguero's name all over it tbh. Not sure which young midfielder we could go for, if only one or two of Spains central mid players was available :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

eddiehead wrote: »
    Same here, I reckon there will be a big push to sign a top young striker, it has Aguero's name all over it tbh. Not sure which young midfielder we could go for, if only one or two of Spains central mid players was available :D

Think Dzagoev from Moscow would do nicely. Showed he can play at the top level the other night too.

We don't need another top class young central midfielder role to play the Essien role because there's few out there better than Mikel for his age. We should get someone who's experienced and who'll be cheap. I would have liked Beckham on loan tbh or Appiah for free but we could probably get Viera or Poulsen on loan for a month or two.

I would like someone like Aguero or Pato though, a top class young centre forward who can mix between attacking midfield and the forward line. Suarez of Ajax and Alexi Sanchez would be very nice. Also, would love to put Hulk on the back of my jersey if we needed a new Drogba

Headshot wrote: »
    what's wrong with anelka ?

or even the high rated sturridge as a back up ?
    We want to dominate, we need players on top of what we have. Another top striker will keep the pressure on Anelka and Drogba to perform and Kalou and Sturridge will have to show what they are made of.

CL Semi, something new is needed up top in our 4-4-2, we need to throw on another striker.... Do Kalou or Sturridge make you worry? No! A 3rd striker who can score goals is needed.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    We don't need another top class young central midfielder role to play the Essien role because there's few out there better than Mikel for his age. We should get someone who's experienced and who'll be cheap. I would have liked Beckham on loan tbh or Appiah for free but we could probably get Viera or Poulsen on loan for a month or two.

I would like someone like Aguero or Pato though, a top class young centre forward who can mix between attacking midfield and the forward line. Suarez of Ajax and Alexi Sanchez would be very nice. Also, would love to put Hulk on the back of my jersey if we needed a new Drogba
    Can't rely on Ballack being top class next year, What if there is injuries? Belletti and Deco will be probably past it. We can't sign in the summer or wait til next Jan, a young talented CM if availible this Jan is needed imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Not exactly a surpise is it?
    Money talks, its a bit like Real Madrid being able to do as they please in the transfer market. Big clubs get special dispensation and I dont think anyone really expected the ban to stick.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

nullzero wrote: »
    Money talks, its a bit like Real Madrid being able to do as they please in the transfer market. Big clubs get special dispensation and I dont think anyone really expected the ban to stick.

Spot on,

nullzero wrote: »

That's crap. We were made an example of in the first place because we were neavaux riche and a big club

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

That's crap. We were made an example of in the first place because we were neavaux riche and a big club

Not true, you were made an example of because of such a ridiculously arrogant show of disrespect for smaller clubs.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Not true, you were made an example of because of such a ridiculously arrogant show of disrespect for smaller clubs.

Lens are not a small club. The clubs that they steal Africans from on the other hand are

Lens are not a small club. The clubs that they steal Africans from on the other hand are

So you guys are Robin Hood then? Pretty awesome :pac:

men in tights :D

I can't see anything wrong in what we did. The French and the Belgiums are sickening in their attitudes signing up hordes of Africans only to let the majority loose in the streets who don't make the grade with no help at all and let's not mention Man Utd exploiting Italian laws that stop contracts being offered before someone turns 18

I can't see anything wrong in what we did. The French and the Belgiums are sickening in their attitudes signing up hordes of Africans only to let the majority loose in the streets who don't make the grade with no help at all and let's not mention Man Utd exploiting Italian laws that stop contracts being offered before someone turns 18

Agreed the guys doing this should be hung probably.

But you can't anything wrong? Sorry you can't tell people to rip up contracts.

Agreed the guys doing this should be hung probably.

But you can't anything wrong? Sorry you can't tell people to rip up contracts.

A contract he didn't sign. Bollox to that. If I had the talent to play for one of the best clubs in the world and make more money and I was told I couldn't sign because of a contract I never signed I would not be a happy Kakuta

• Advertisement
Advertisement