Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICTU Protest

Options
  • 06-11-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the ICTU protest is going? I know that it starts at the Mechanics Institute at 2.30pm, but where is it going after that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

OK, cancel the request - found the route on the iCTU website: http://www.getupstandup.ie/getinvolved/nationaldayofaction/limerick.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

:confused:I was too busy working and getting on with things to notice any of this today.

Oh..and and I also was too busy saving myself from dole queue this week which I was due to join in December....and I did it too!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Firefox10 wrote: »
    :confused:I was too busy working and getting on with things to notice any of this today.

Oh..and and I also was too busy saving myself from dole queue this week which I was due to join in December....and I did it too!!;)

Well done on whatever you did to keep your job. Nice to hear things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well done on whatever you did to keep your job. Nice to hear things like that.

Thanks!!:) I'm just enormously relived and continue to live in the real world. There is hope for this country yet!! I think people should "get up, stand up" and get on with their work in tough times.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Unfortunately its people who choose to do nothing in spite of the absolutely scandalous way our country is being run which has it the way it is....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Unfortunately its people who choose to do nothing in spite of the absolutely scandalous way our country is being run which has it the way it is....:mad:

Well when a suggestion to cut wages in the public service is mentioned we get national days of protest?

Well when a suggestion to cut wages in the public service is mentioned we get national days of protest?

There is some truth in what you said. Seems only certain sections of society are worth a protest in the eyes of some. Although I would not paint all areas of the public service with the same brush though. Some areas do need to have cuts made in them, but other wage brackets there do not need to be hit the same way.

Listening to the news on the radio last night and again this morning, it seems Mary Harney did her usual trick of announcing stuff when there are other things taking up the headlines.

Seems the latest brainwave by the Minister of Health is to go after the elderly again. And her suggestion to save money?

To cut back on bedpans and toilet aids for the elderly. I kid you not. It should be repeated again on the TodayFM news at 11:00

As for the trade union marches yesterday, it says something when they have literally hundreds of thousands of members and yet less than a combined figure of 80,000 for all the cities and towns involved is all that could be bothered to turn out.

Personally I would not march in a trade union march, not when one of the heads of the protesting unions came out and said that the government should focus on cutting the social welfare and pensions before going after his members. Basically he said to go after those that earn the least first. Seems typical of Ireland, target those with the least first, as they are the ones least likely to be able to organise protests, and can be hit financially without much fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Not to mention the massive wages the Union heads are on!
    There is a huge amount of dead weight in the public service that needs to be shed in my opinion but front lines workers like fire brigade, gardai etc need to be protected especialy those who are on the lower end of the pay scale!
    The fact is do that money has to be cut from the public sector wage bill its completely out of line with the rest of europe and the private sector in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Of course the public sector needs to be looked at-however i dont understand all the union bashing..its not the unions that have the country in the state its in..but rather our pathetic so-called 'government'..the unions and union leaders are simply doing what they are paid to do...fight for workers rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dirac

Firefox10 wrote: »

I wasn't asking 'cos I was marching - I was asking 'cos I had to pick someone up in town at 3.45pm and wanted to know if I could get to where I was supposed to collect them or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

maybe I'm reading this thread wrong (has happened many times before:D ) Are you the OP??? do you have 2 I.Ds????!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Dirac wrote: »
    I wasn't asking 'cos I was marching - I was asking 'cos I had to pick someone up in town at 3.45pm and wanted to know if I could get to where I was supposed to collect them or not!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Of course the public sector needs to be looked at-however i dont understand all the union bashing..its not the unions that have the country in the state its in..but rather our pathetic so-called 'government'..the unions and union leaders are simply doing what they are paid to do...fight for workers rights.
    The unions are doing bollox all, only being greedy for themselves, and hoping to hold things up. That Jack O Connor fella, every interview I've ever seen him give in the last year , he's been torn a new one, his head is in the clouds, and has NO decent suggestions.

baza1976 wrote: »
    maybe I'm reading this thread wrong (has happened many times before:D ) Are you the OP??? do you have 2 I.Ds????!!!???

Makes two of us then as I read it the same way after the second name popped up . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

zuroph wrote: »
    The unions are doing bollox all, only being greedy for themselves, and hoping to hold things up. That Jack O Connor fella, every interview I've ever seen him give in the last year , he's been torn a new one, his head is in the clouds, and has NO decent suggestions.

Absolutley. The Unions are so out of this ****ing universe, they want people who are already suffering with job losses to pay more tax so the public sector can sit happy with their jobs and wages untouched. The unions in this country are an absolute scourge, blind to the effects of a recession and using such immature and frankly cretinous tricks such as protest marches to throw the toys out of the pram.

Social Partnership needs to end now and these ****ers need to be told where to go.

Advertisement