Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation Date

Options
  • 06-11-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

Hey, does anyone know what date English and Philosophy are graduating? i know it's in December sometime, couldn't see it on the site anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

http://www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm

Looks like BA graduation is 30 November.

how long prior to your graduation do you get your invitations does anybody know? mines just over 3 weeks away and i haven't received any notice at all yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

cool, thanks rainbow. 1st of December it is, they keep us B.A. internationals separate from the regular B.A. riff-raff :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

how long prior to your graduation do you get your invitations does anybody know? mines just over 3 weeks away and i haven't received any notice at all yet

I was wondering this too! I am a postgrad and received my official transcript today but no word of anything graduation-related! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Isn't it well for you all. I'm getting conferred with my postgrad on the 7th December and have an exam on the 8th! Grrrrrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I contacted the conferring unit about graduation and they say an information pack will be posted to us next week.

Graduation is 30th November for BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Isn't it well for you all. I'm getting conferred with my postgrad on the 7th December and have an exam on the 8th! Grrrrrrr!
    wait,i always thought graduates have their graduation confer day afterthey graduated?which is like if i am going to get my degree next june,my confer date is after june?

seraphimvc wrote: »
    wait,i always thought graduates have their graduation confer day afterthey graduated?which is like if i am going to get my degree next june,my confer date is after june?

dostoevsy is probably doing a post grad, still does anybody know when you get your invites to your graduation sent??

seraphimvc wrote: »

Just finished one postgrad and on to another. Then I'm definitely finished!

I got my info and invitations in the post this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeah same here. Real money making racket for the robes €43 and you dont even keep them. Anyone know of any other places you can but them or do you have to go through the official company?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah same here. Real money making racket for the robes €43 and you dont even keep them. Anyone know of any other places you can but them or do you have to go through the official company?

Yeah not to mention €50 to get the Latin on the degree translated into English. Cheers for that.

How many guests does one usually get to bring to these? I know it says 2 guests on the sheet but I'm guessing people normally bring more than that?

You're issued 2 tickets, but can apply for more on the conferring unit website.

I think most people just bring 2... It'll just be my folks there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeah not to mention €50 to get the Latin on the degree translated into English. Cheers for that.

How many guests does one usually get to bring to these? I know it says 2 guests on the sheet but I'm guessing people normally bring more than that?

You have to email the conferrring dept to request extra tickets

Yeah not to mention €50 to get the Latin on the degree translated into English.

Why would you want to translate it? I never once thought of doing that. It looks kinda scholarly I think.

Anybody know the format for the conferring of PhDs in UCD? Do they read out the commendation from the examiners? Or is it just the simple calling of your name, go up and get it, and sit down again? (I get embarrassed being on stage in front of loads of people!)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Why would you want to translate it? I never once thought of doing that. It looks kinda scholarly I think.

Anybody know the format for the conferring of PhDs in UCD? Do they read out the commendation from the examiners? Or is it just the simple calling of your name, go up and get it, and sit down again? (I get embarrassed being on stage in front of loads of people!)

if u go to apply to a postgraduate course afterwards, some of them want it in english.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Anybody know the format for the conferring of PhDs in UCD

For PhD conferring in UCD they call out your name, give the title of your dissertation and you walk up and get the scroll. So you shouldn't be on stage longer than it takes to get the scroll and perhaps shake hands.

e.g. Sean Murphy whose dissertation was "An empirical investigation into the use of Boards.ie by UCD students".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone else not heard anything at all from the conferring unit?

Send them an email to make sure all is in order !

What do people usually do about photos? Pay on the Lafayette website, or just pay on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Dave! wrote: »
    Send them an email to make sure all is in order !

What do people usually do about photos? Pay on the Lafayette website, or just pay on the day?

im not sure, but i think i will just pay on the day

• Advertisement

Anyone else not heard anything at all from the conferring unit?

No, still waiting, although last October the Academic Council apparently confirmed my award of a PhD (I submitted in 2008!). I have not received a single letter confirming this award, merely the letters 'APPROV' on my SIS account next to PhD.

The good news is that today I received a letter from the Fees Office telling me that I will have to pay €3550 for my fees for next semester. No hold-ups there; before this semester is even over they are billing me for the next (I'm doing another postgrad).

Lazy, incompetent, self-serving b@stards who are completely oblivious to the concept of student-centred service. My entire experience of the organisation and aftermath of the PhD has been a nightmare. I am using my words carefully. The only - and I do mean the only - light among it all was the decency, professionalism and gentlemanliness among my examiners on the day of my viva.

It is long past the day that the viva voce process was the subject of an enquiry in UCD. If all feedback were unanimous we would get a much more accurate picture of it. There is too much at stake for most/all PhD students to come out about their experiences.

Yes, the longer this incompetency goes on from Admin the more I end up thinking about the behaviour of all who were responsible for organising the viva and its aftermath. 'Closure' cannot come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Anybody know when MA graduation is? It is very unclear on the website (which lists very few Masters graduation dates at all). Do they lump in Bachelors and Masters together :confused:

I'd say I either graduate on 30th November, 1st December or ... 26th April!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

No, still waiting, although last October the Academic Council apparently confirmed my award of a PhD (I submitted in 2008!). I have not received a single letter confirming this award, merely the letters 'APPROV' on my SIS account next to PhD.

The good news is that today I received a letter from the Fees Office telling me that I will have to pay €3550 for my fees for next semester. No hold-ups there; before this semester is even over they are billing me for the next (I'm doing another postgrad).

Lazy, incompetent, self-serving b@stards who are completely oblivious to the concept of student-centred service. My entire experience of the organisation and aftermath of the PhD has been a nightmare. I am using my words carefully. The only - and I do mean the only - light among it all was the decency, professionalism and gentlemanliness among my examiners on the day of my viva.

It is long past the day that the viva voce process was the subject of an enquiry in UCD. If all feedback were unanimous we would get a much more accurate picture of it. There is too much at stake for most/all PhD students to come out about their experiences.

Yes, the longer this incompetency goes on from Admin the more I end up thinking about the behaviour of all who were responsible for organising the viva and its aftermath. 'Closure' cannot come soon enough.

What was your PhD in and what was the aftermath of the viva voce? Is your experience the same across the board - and what was the main problem if you got the green light from your examiners?

Advertisement