Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon digital camera software?

• 06-11-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a silly question, but...

I want to buy my other half a compact digital camera (just for snaps, etc, nothing serious). I own a Canon Digital Ixus 70, and our computer already has the Canon software for downloading images onto it from that camera (ImageBrowser, as far as I remember).

My question is this: I don't want to have to load more image software on our PC, so will the software I got with my Ixus 70 work with other brands of compact camera, or am I limited to getting her a Canon Ixus? Which wouldn't be a problem; I'd just like to know!

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

You can load photos from any camera to any pc without any camera specific software by just connecting via USB, you get a new drive letter in windows excplorer. You can just copy files from the new drive (camera) to a local computer drive. Software that comes with cameras does this with bells and whistles added but if you like to keep life simple, you dont need to load any software at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Thanks for that! Would it then just be a case of opening the image using whatever software was available if I wanted to flip it or edit it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

dnme wrote: »
    You can load photos from any camera to any pc without any camera specific software by just connecting via USB, you get a new drive letter in windows excplorer. You can just copy files from the new drive (camera) to a local computer drive. Software that comes with cameras does this with bells and whistles added but if you like to keep life simple, you dont need to load any software at all.

If the files are RAW format then they may not be able to be read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

A standard compact is not going to have Raw format, so that shouldn't be an issue. You can download Picasa which is free and is probably better than most of the software that comes with a camera, incl whatever came with your Canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

On the raw format thing, canon have for download a raw codec. It alows all programs in windows to open canon raw format. I even use Picasa to open them now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Bodhan wrote: »
    On the raw format thing, canon have for download a raw codec. It alows all programs in windows to open canon raw format. I even use Picasa to open them now lol

do you know if this exists for nikon also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Yep, you will find it here http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61
    Having said that I don't have a Nikon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

do you know if this exists for nikon also?

The latest Picasa will do it for you. http://picasa.google.com/
    Its a free download

Advertisement