Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stag in Ireland?

• 06-11-2009 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi folks,

looking to have a stag in Ireland in February - have narrowed it down to the following:
    1. Dingle
    2. Carrick-on-Shannon (including boat cruise perhaps)
    3. Aran Islands
    4. Kinsale
    5. Lisdoonvarna/Doolin

I'm ruling out the likes of Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny, Cork city as looking to stay away from the cities and head to a small town. Looking at maybe hiring a minibus for the saturday and heading out to the country for a tour and pub crawl. Any thoughts on which is the best from the list above or any other good spots???
    We're from the North and have done the whole Donegal and Westport scene. Love a good music seisun too. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Doolin has activities during the daytime too, lovely walks on the beach, the cliffs of Moher. Great trad there.

You could do www.pureskill.ie in Galway during the day and head down to Doolin/Lisdoonvarna late afternoon, go to the pubs there and see the cliffs the next day before heading home again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 atomicent

Stocious wrote: »
    hi folks,

looking to have a stag in Ireland in February - have narrowed it down to the following:
    1. Dingle
    2. Carrick-on-Shannon (including boat cruise perhaps)
    3. Aran Islands
    4. Kinsale
    5. Lisdoonvarna/Doolin

I'm ruling out the likes of Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny, Cork city as looking to stay away from the cities and head to a small town. Looking at maybe hiring a minibus for the saturday and heading out to the country for a tour and pub crawl. Any thoughts on which is the best from the list above or any other good spots???
    We're from the North and have done the whole Donegal and Westport scene. Love a good music seisun too. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.

Carrick on Shannon, definately, stag and hen capital of Ireland, I live in carrick, so I will be a bit in favour, but theres so much to do, paint balling, cruises as you say, go karting, and a lot of pubs will do events for stag and hen parties if you book with them in advance, ie rodeo bull nights, foam parties etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Why stay in Ireland? Not talking down Ireland at all, I've been to some great stags here. Doolin is great.

But when you get home and tot up the costs, you inevitably notice that you could have gone somewhere more exotic (eastern europe etc) for the same money. Last stag I was on was in the boom times, maybe there are better deals now, but probably better deals for going abroad too..

Just my two cents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I went to Carrick on Shannon. It was pretty mediocre. They would not let us on the bota and we were sober at that stage. The best part was we went shooting beforehand. 3/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Stocious

djk1000 wrote: »
    Why stay in Ireland? Not talking down Ireland at all, I've been to some great stags here. Doolin is great.

But when you get home and tot up the costs, you inevitably notice that you could have gone somewhere more exotic (eastern europe etc) for the same money. Last stag I was on was in the boom times, maybe there are better deals now, but probably better deals for going abroad too..

Just my two cents!

I'm actually realising that, for example, the train from dublin to tralee is €72 return, then looking at hiring a bus to get to dingle. almost the cost of a flight. If going to Doolin will have to price a bus and see how it works out.

Wantin to stay in ireland as we've been to krakow and oktoberfest in the last 18 mths, and also going to barcelona and hamburg or berlin again next year on other stags. so just thought i'd keep it here, and also, there may be some oul lads goin as well. cheers for the suggestion....

• Advertisement

as for carrick on shannon, did a 3 day cruise a while back and ended up there at the end of it, most people to wrecked and didnt really get a good crack at it. so not sure what the town is like. maybe a bit too many stags/hens? its definitely an option. have to see if can do a day cruise perhaps for the saturday then back into town for the night.....thanks for the thoughts, keep em comin.

Magnus wrote: »
    Doolin has activities during the daytime too, lovely walks on the beach, the cliffs of Moher. Great trad there.

You could do www.pureskill.ie in Galway during the day and head down to Doolin/Lisdoonvarna late afternoon, go to the pubs there and see the cliffs the next day before heading home again.

thanks for that, not sure if a walk along the beach or the cliffs would suit 20 lads though. maybe a bit of scenery from a bus window would do durin a country pub crawl....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 atomicent

Stocious wrote: »
    as for carrick on shannon, did a 3 day cruise a while back and ended up there at the end of it, most people to wrecked and didnt really get a good crack at it. so not sure what the town is like. maybe a bit too many stags/hens? its definitely an option. have to see if can do a day cruise perhaps for the saturday then back into town for the night.....thanks for the thoughts, keep em comin.

you should be able to get a good deal from emerald star or carrick craft at this time of year for hiring a boat for the day, moonriver at night either, it comes back just in time for the nightclubs, either the swingin donkey or murtaghs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

clonakilty is good. always a few hens and a stag or two around and ye will let in wherever. Go surfing at inchadoney surf school during day.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

I'm in the same boat, pardon the Pun. Organizing a stag for early March, just back from Carrick on Shannon and it was a good laugh. At the same time once was enough.
    We had shortlisted Kilarney, and down that area, I like the idea of driving about to some nice country pubs. But I could foresee hassle with Bus drivers.
    We're from Galway/Westport so have been local many times..

The www.odd.ie looked good as did the www.mysterytrips.ie site but I'd love to hear some real references. Anyone out there truly recomend any of these?
    Also had looked at boat down the Shannon but it looks like we're just out of Season..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

MotteDai wrote: »

The www.odd.ie looked good as did the www.mysterytrips.ie site but I'd love to hear some real references. Anyone out there truly recomend any of these?
    Also had looked at boat down the Shannon but it looks like we're just out of Season..

Has anyone had any experience with these web sites or with www.thefunfactory.ie ? I'm looking t obook my stag for May.

Going to make the trip to Dingle for the stag. According to tripadvisor alot of pubs aren't welcoming of stags though. This was from a discussion post in 2007. Therefore would they be more happy of the custom now? Does anyone have the lowdown on any problems that a group of 20 odd lads (mostly late 20s/early 30s and a few older lads) would have in Dingle?

Also, for the train (Dublin-Killarney), is drinking on the train allowed?

Lastly, looking to rent a house or two - any recommendations? again, would there be any issues if for a stag?

thanks.

Advertisement