Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you going to do when the trains come back?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So I spoke to my friend in Rush. He's unlikely to get back on the train. What about you?

(only those who used to get the train before the bridge collapsed please!)

How will you be getting in / out of town when the train starts back? 23 votes

Back to the train
    0% 0 votes
    Stick with the car
    69% 16 votes
    Stick with the bus
    13% 3 votes
    Other (shout in thread)
    17% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Definitely go back to the train. It's much more accessible for people with buggies/mobility probs etc. I often have to go southside (passport clutched in hand I know) but I can't do that on the bus without transferring. Also I need the train to get to Howth Junction on a regular basis, also not an option with the bus without a transfer.

Personally I think it may be even more safer now after the accident as IR will be more aware of the dangers with the bridge. WRT to comfort, it only really applies for me if I'm going directly to the city centre which isn't very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Realistically, train but would love to keep using the 33X as it:

1) saves €8 a week on car parking,
    2) drops me to the office door,
    3) guaranteed a seat 9 times out of 10 at present

Will have to wait and see if we get an improved 33X service or will it just return to the status quo?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Can't wait for the trains to get....back on track [sorry, couldn't resist :D]
    At least no more running for a Dart over to Grand Canal Station, besides I sure miss my commute nap :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

I can't wait for the train to come back either. I've a pain walking over from Sheriff Street to Upper Baggot Street every day. I've gotten soaked loads of times over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

will prob stick with the train but not looking forward to travelling by sardine tin again, will miss the guarantee of the seat on the buses. Not impressed with new train timetable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

Presently I drive to my usual station in the morn, get train one stop & get bus from there (no parking at this station) to Sherriff St. Then walk to south side :(
    Coming home is worse- the bus gets into the train station generally at the exact time the train leaves, so have to do a sprint to get it. Alternatively wait 30min for next train, all for a 3min jouney.
    Because of this, and the comfort thing, I'll be happily back to the train.... with some sort of floatation device perhaps :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Back onto the train. Have to go southside each day anyway and will be glad to have the reliability of the train back and not be at the mercy of the traffic on the M1 or having to endure going through Drumcondra and the Airport outside the rush hour.

Also how long are the replacement busses going to be kept on? I remember reading somewhere here that the bus companies had a 10 week contract starting from the start of October. By my understanding that would suggest that they'll be running until the middle of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

I'll be back on the train - never late & closer to work..

I'd love if they kept the option of the bus too though - i'd definitely buy a bus and rail pass if it was kept going - the option of s bus that doesn't take an hour would be great to have o a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

NorthDub wrote: »
    Not impressed with new train timetable

Yeah, fairly peed off about that to be honest. You'd think they'd do whatever was necessary to try to attract people back onto the trains. I'll probably consider the car and / or bike 1 day a week (each) because of it.

Is there a new timetable? can i have a link to it?

I usually get the train around 7am from lusk, is that still on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

New timetable is at www.irishrail.ie. Go to printed timetables, and there is a link for the 2010 timetables. http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetables_2010.asp
    You can also put in a date of Nov 30th etc. into the journey planner and away you go. Simple as that!

18.40 express from connolly to skerries changed to stop at donabate and rush and lusk. :( I used to love that train so much.

Really - That has just made my life easier :pac:

Thaks rasers, couldn't find it on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Any ideas on when the tracks are due to be back working again?

it still says the 16th on the website

Looks like (based on the very small sample size) a significant percentage will not be returning to the train. Interesting.

Advertisement