Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replica WWII Guns

Options
  • 06-11-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope this isn't the wrong forum. I've always wanted a decent M1 Garand or a lee enfield, proper replicas as in Wooden, metal etc correct, if not a real one that has been decomissioned (right term?). I've seen ones with moving parts, but obviously not real on the Internet. Can I buy one, do I need to talk to someone first etc?

Anyone recommend good places?

Thanks very much for taking the time :)
    Ross

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Try PM-ing Sikamick. If i'm not mistaken he is the president of the VCRAI (or the Dublin branch at least).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sikamick would be the first one to contact allright. There are local firearms dealers who sell these things, they're remarkably inexpensive to buy and run. Unless it's a Garand or something in a wierd huge calibre or odd stock, they're unrestricted. You do need a decent range for them though - Midlands certainly qualifies and so do one or two others but they're not exactly ten-a-penny in this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Thanks guys for the responses :)

I actually am not pushed if it can be fired, it just needs to be a WW2 M1 or Lee enfield (which I want!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Also try the militaria section of the antiques and collectables forum.
    The airsoft forum may also be able to help as replicas are often sold by airsoft shops as opposed to firearms dealers.

Just after remembering that Jim McBride in Athlone has a Lee Enfield (nearly sure) for sale. Have PM-ed you details.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Duffys in Galway had /have some in .308

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

At a grand a piece, don't think I would go for one, that and they're restricted.
    Better off trying for the Enfield if you want to go live.

Even Garand deacts are outrageously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

RossKixxxed, I presume it's a non firing replica or decomissioned gun you're looking for. If so, this site has them for sale from time to time.
    http://www.worldwidearms.com/home.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

www.dwsuk.com has non firnig Garands @450 STG.But they dont ship internationally.But you can collect in the UK.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thanks so much everyone, pleanty of them about it seems... Prices higher than expected tbh, I figured a remake would be a plank of wood and a barrell tbh, but the antique ones are BEAUTIFUL. 300 quid is outside my price, but I mean.... I could be persuaded!

Actually I just thought, a boyhood dream would be to shoot one of them, at a target on a range. A proper big old school rifle.

• Advertisement

Can i suggest you take a trip over to the Midlands shooting range some Saturday. PM Sikamick and make arrangements to meet him and a few of the lads there. They will show you the ropes and maybe even let you fire a shot (maybe). Once you see them in action you will soon throw your budget etc out the window.

Thats what happened me with all my guns. Bought a particular make/model then seen a lad shooting a different one and after talking to him (extensively) i found a way to make it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

have to agree with ezridax , went to see the VCRAI one day and wow bitten by the Service rifle bug fairly quick ..

They are a great bunch of lads and most helpful .

Still struggling to get my new addition licensed but fingers crossed it will be a few more weeks and I should be able to join the lads actually Shooting this time :)

Dar

http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.cfm?p_n=198047&p_i=198047

Drooooool!

I've PM'd the guy now! Sounds awesome, thanks so much for the help I really, really apprecaite it. Going to contact a few places now and haggle etc, and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

If it's only a replica you want, with no worries about legislation or whatever. Why not an Airsoft M1 Garand usually made with metal and real wood, fires little plastic pellets but works like the real thing. http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/other-gun/other-rifle/marushin-rifle-m1-garand-tanker.html

You can also get a Kar98k or the M2 carbine. But not the Lee Enfield unfortunately. The irony is that they are almost as expensive as the real thing.

I would be interested in acquiring a couple of deactivated rifles too. But are there any legislative requirements?

350 for a real, working Lee Enfield. 300 stg for a decomissioned one. That's pretty good. The Garands are insanely priced tbh, so I think Lee Enfield is my man tbh. I dunno though, it's a lot of money but I'm really tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I would be interested in acquiring a couple of deactivated rifles too. But are there any legislative requirements?

There are. Deactivated firearms are classified as "defective firearms" and will require permission in writing from your local Superintendent if you want to own one. I know some people do not bother getting it in writing from the Super but they'll be in hot water if found with deactivated firearms without permission.

They will record the serial numbers of the firearm just as with fully functioning firearms. If the Super has a firearms expert to hand he will check that the deact has been carried out. If not, he will send them to Phoenix Park to get them checked out first. You'll get a letter for each deact firearm.

So if I see one I like online, I presume I have to get it sorted before it can be imported? It is DEACTIVATED in the UK with a licence saying it is deactivated... How do I get it in the country? I called the Gardai and they told me the seller should sort it out for me... But they just post them apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

So if I see one I like online, I presume I have to get it sorted before it can be imported? It is DEACTIVATED in the UK with a licence saying it is deactivated... How do I get it in the country? I called the Gardai and they told me the seller should sort it out for me... But they just post them apparently...

Questions 9 & 10 may be of some help.

Brilliant, you guys really know your stuff :) I really appreciate all the help, I'm VERY VERY VERY prone to just jumping in, and I'd rather do this 100% right, it gives everyone a bad name if you mess it up!

If you are buying from a outside Ireland and you are importing them you will need an Article 7 Authorisation from your local Superintendent. Before the authrisation can be filled in you'll need the description, deactivation details and the serial number so it can be entered into the authorisation form before it is issued to you. You can then send it to the seller (or a copy of it) who can attach the document to the deactivated firearm or the package which should make the process smoother.

In some cases depending on your local gardai, they may ask you to nominate a licensed firearms dealer instead who will import the firearm for you (for a fee I presume) and will have it checked over before it is handed to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I dont think there are any laws regards replica non fire guns here? I mean the ones built from scratch for wall hangers or for re-enactment. Getting ready to be proved wrong:confused:

chem wrote: »
    I dont think there are any laws regards replica non fire guns here? I mean the ones built from scratch for wall hangers or for re-enactment. Getting ready to be proved wrong:confused:

I don't think so. Haven't really looked into it as I don't collect replicas. The laws that are there are about live firearms as well as defective "deactivated" firearms for collectors.

EDIT: Although I have to say there was a shop in Bray sometime last year which sold replica guns up to AK47's. They were asked by gardai to keep a book with the names and adresses of people who bought any replicas. And they did. Anyone who wanted to buy one of the replicas was told he/she could only do so if they were willing to provide the details required.

Cool I'll pop into them if I need to then. The best I've seen so far is an authentic one that is deactivated by a company in the UK. I'll have to see about Article 7 authorisation, and sit down and explain exactly what I'm doing / buying.

Cool I'll pop into them if I need to then. The best I've seen so far is an authentic one that is deactivated by a company in the UK. I'll have to see about Article 7 authorisation, and sit down and explain exactly what I'm doing / buying.

Yes, I found it is always beneficial to go and meet the guys in person and discuss the requirements as a collector in more detail.

The guy in the police station i phoned initally lauged at me 'i don't want you to think I'm some mad terrorist... from the 1940s!' They seem to be very happy to at least discuss it, so I'd have no bother popping in to see. I'm sure once I talk to them it'd be ok. It's a genuine interest and I'd be happier knowing it was deactivated myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

The guy in the police station i phoned initally lauged at me 'i don't want you to think I'm some mad terrorist... from the 1940s!' They seem to be very happy to at least discuss it, so I'd have no bother popping in to see. I'm sure once I talk to them it'd be ok. It's a genuine interest and I'd be happier knowing it was deactivated myself!

Best of luck and hope all works out on your new collection. But just be carefull.;)

And make sure to post pictures of your new acquisitions in the militaria collection section of boards.ie: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1003

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

EDIT: Although I have to say there was a shop in Bray sometime last year which sold replica guns up to AK47's. They were asked by gardai to keep a book with the names and adresses of people who bought any replicas. And they did. Anyone who wanted to buy one of the replicas was told he/she could only do so if they were willing to provide the details required.
    Were they airsoft replicas? If so that's unusual. I've bought a couple of airsoft replicas in Dublin and Galway. There is no such requirement anywhere else. I've also seen non airsoft replicas on sale again with no such requirement. Must be local to Bray?

Were they airsoft replicas? If so that's unusual. I've bought a couple of airsoft replicas in Dublin and Galway. There is no such requirement anywhere else. I've also seen non airsoft replicas on sale again with no such requirement. Must be local to Bray?

No, not airsoft. They were full metal Spanish-made replicas with a simulated working mechanism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Hi just some more info for you, my dad deals in ww2 mostly firearms enfields& k98's some are in original cal but sometimes he gets them in in .410 he also does the likes of the m1 carbines in .22 as well as some wall hangers.

If you would like his contact details pm me as I'm not going to post them openly.

Advertisement