Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning premium text numbers?

• 06-11-2009 3:27pm

Hey,

I recently got back from holidays to find my pay as you go credit was almost wiped out from my phone. I checked the O2 website and noticed a couple of weekly deductions of €2 each which are obviously a subscription of some kind. The online records only go back a month though, and i was away for a month so had to ring to find out how much it had cost and for how long it was going on.

I'd gotten 2 texts before i went away but just put them down as spam, meaning to check them out when i got a chance but I never did, what with getting ready for the Holiday and all. In total I got deducted a total of €22 which is a kick in the teeth tbh. I

'm 95% certain that it wasn't a case of somebody acting the bollocks with my phone e.g. definitely wasn't one of the lads in the pub or anything, so the only conclusion i can come to is that there was a website where you can just put in a number and it subscribes you to their content. Is this even possible, or would it have to be confirmed on my handset?

My question is, is there any way to block these numbers permanently from my phone? I asked the O2 guy and he said there isn't anything he can do at his end (he was of the opinion that i accidentally did it via WAP when i left my keylock off in my pocket) but I was just wondering if there's anything i can do to bar them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Apparently not.

I think there should be a requirement for mobile phone companies to allow customers to opt out of premium texts entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Solair wrote: »
    Apparently not.

I think there should be a requirement for mobile phone companies to allow customers to opt out of premium texts entirely.
    mobile phone companies or mobile operators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

kaimera wrote: »
    mobile phone companies or mobile operators?

I'll clarify that : Mobile phone operators, as licensed by Comreg under the relevant legislation.

Advertisement