Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Retriver in and out of the car

Options
  • 06-11-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

I have a 7 month Retriver weighing about 25kg. We take him it the boot of our hatchback (Puegot 307) to the beach and park. Up till now we have lifted him in and out of the boot of the car. But he's now too heavy for my wife and may soon get too heavy for me. He's well capable of jumping out (with some encouragement) but he can't (or won't) jump in.

So what should we do?
    Is it ok for him to jump in and out 3 times a week? I'm a little concerned as he is still really only an adolesent.
    I've thought about using a crate as a step for him? Is there any other way/ suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would be careful of him jumping in and out just yet as his bones and joints are still growing.
    What i had to do with my rottie was put his 2 front feet up and then hoosh him up from his bum then.
    Try having a really nice treat and throw that in the boot to get him to put his 2 front paws up and give him something nice then when hes all the way in and say a word like "up" or "jump" so he'll eventually learn to jump up then when hes old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our retriever is 4 months now and almost getting too heavy for me(!) Think I'll end up getting something like this for him :Dhttp://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/dog_car_travel_products/139619

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'd go with tk123's suggestion of the ramp, I have one and used to use it for older and young dogs.

Advertisement