Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Colleges & Courses. HELP!

• 06-11-2009 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm starting an after school portfolio course next week but i still haven't a clue where I'd like to study!
    Which is a particular problem cause of ncad and it's briefs.. I need to know now where i want to go.

does anyone have any suggestions what I should do? Start my portfolio now? Or get the leaving cert over and done with and do a post lc portfolio course?

HELP!

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have a look at this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357937

My advice, if you don't really know what to do, concentrate on your Leaving Certificate and get good grades in that then do a full time portfolio course next year. The portfolio course is good as you get to see which areas you like and have more time to expand on them.

You still need decent enough points to get into any Art course so there's no point only doing so-so in your Leaving Cert and producing a so-so portfolio for the sake of a year.

But it really does depend on how you think you'll do in the L.C. and if you think you can do a good portfolio now.

(someone else my disagree with my advice but sure it's up to you in the end.) Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 teenage_angst

Larianne wrote: »
    Have a look at this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357937

My advice, if you don't really know what to do, concentrate on your Leaving Certificate and get good grades in that then do a full time portfolio course next year. The portfolio course is good as you get to see which areas you like and have more time to expand on them.

You still need decent enough points to get into any Art course so there's no point only doing so-so in your Leaving Cert and producing a so-so portfolio for the sake of a year.

But it really does depend on how you think you'll do in the L.C. and if you think you can do a good portfolio now.

(someone else my disagree with my advice but sure it's up to you in the end.) Good Luck!

Thank you it's really appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

When you say you don't know where to study, do you mean you don't know which art college to choose or you don't know if you want to do art or not? If you know you want to do art and are stuck on which college, I'd say start the portfolio now during sixth year (not meaning to disagree with Larianne's very good advice! :o) If it starts getting too much, then you can throw it aside and decide to do a PLC. But it IS possible to do a portfolio and the LC at the same time, provided you don't mind doing a hell of a lotta work and late nights! The NCAD brief thing - I don't feel it will harm your chances with other colleges. Your portfolio will develop as you work on it and it will only take a few tweaks to make it more suitable for other colleges. The way I see it, you're not eliminating other colleges by doing the NCAD brief, but you're eliminating NCAD if you don't do it! Hope that helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

i did a portfolio course a few years ago and it is a hell of a lotta work!!!! and that was when you could do whatever you wanted.... id say your better off doing your lc and then doing a plc next year. its a lot of stress trying to do both, and i wouldnt jepordise your lc whether you know what you want or not. good luck though!

Advertisement