Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor won't LET me have the Hero.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Kensington wrote: »
    Did you ask them would it be possible to have data disabled on your account? And it's only €5 for 250MB - you don't need the €15 add-on.

She shouldn't have to have data disabled or have to pay only €5 extra. Simply explaining the potential costs should be enough, if they're really that worried why not just add an extra form explaining the situation that has to be signed when buying the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    She shouldn't have to have data disabled or have to pay only €5 extra. Simply explaining the potential costs should be enough, if they're really that worried why not just add an extra form explaining the situation that has to be signed when buying the phone.
    You could get them to sign as many forms as you like - you will STILL get people coming back in after a few weeks screaming the shop down about their bill for €600 data usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

theteal wrote: »
    the optional data bundle is explained to every customer signing up for bill pay. a lot don't opt for it (usually adopting a "ah, i'll see how the first month goes" attitude) even after a clear explanation of the per kb cost. then when the bill is received, these people are back to stores spitting fury.

You've missed my point. I'm referring to the lack of an optional bundle when looking to buy the Hero on Meteor, as the OP has mentioned Meteor store agents advised that the data bundle was compulsory, not optional.

While I can see where Meteor are coming from with this compulsory data bundle, I still don't agree with it. There has to come a point where a customer is responsible for their own usage; especially when they are explicitly advised how they will be charged if they use data. It might be said that it is harder for customers to grasp how data is consumed in comparison to calls and sms, but with the advent of all these Internet based services, social networking sites etc, there has to come a time when customers eventually grasp how these services work and how they are charged. It's not fair for customers to not understand something and just take it out mobile networks' customer care teams and store agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Give the customer the option to sign a wavier that they take full responsibility for their usage if they choose not to take the data add on. Unlike the present situation, is that reasonable???

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Give the customer the option to sign a wavier that they take full responsibility for their usage if they choose not to take the data add on. Unlike the present situation, is that reasonable???

That's reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Davy wrote: »

Imagine the situation when a customer comes into a store or contacts the customer care about a 700 euro bill (I've seen them go well into the thousands), only to be told sorry you signed a waiver, it'd be a red rag to a bull. Yeah from the legal side of things it'd make sense, but from a customer experience point of view, it'd really aggravate the situation.

From seeing it happen else where, I have to agree with Meteors policy, it could be handled better, by introducing a new price plan, similiar to O2 Advance (the name name for the iphone tarriff) but what they are doing does make sense it reduces customers bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Gillo wrote: »
    Imagine the situation when a customer comes into a store or contacts the customer care about a 700 euro bill (I've seen them go well into the thousands), only to be told sorry you signed a waiver, it'd be a red rag to a bull. Yeah from the legal side of things it'd make sense, but from a customer experience point of view, it'd really aggravate the situation.

From seeing it happen else where, I have to agree with Meteors policy, it could be handled better, by introducing a new price plan, similiar to O2 Advance (the name name for the iphone tarriff) but what they are doing does make sense it reduces customers bills.

Got to agree with Gillo. It is the only responsible thing to do on this phone.

You cannot let people run up huge bills. Either Data Addon or No Data.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

If networks actually had the customers interests in mind they would disable data for bill pay users without an add on. This way there wouldn't even be the remote possibility of bill shock. Who in their right mind would pay 2c per kb for data? The default option (2c per kb) is only there to scam customers out of their hard earned money. Of course they could do something sensible and actually charge normal amounts for out-of-bundle data, but that would be too easy...

For example data on the isp.vodafone.ie APN on prepay is reasonably priced for light users at 19c per MB, that's 0.018c per kb or more then 100 times cheaper than the 2c/kb default bill pay data tariff.

I use this APN on my iPhone, I use Google Maps and browse the Internet and have never used more then 5€ in data charges a month (that's about 25 Mb of data). With my usage pattern a data add on doesn't make sense and I am perfectly happy with the ISP APN. If the default bill pay tariff was similar to this tariff, bill shock would be a lot less common occurrence for customers without data addons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

blaz wrote: »
    If networks actually had the customers interests in mind they would disable data for bill pay users without an add on. This way there wouldn't even be the remote possibility of bill shock. Who in their right mind would pay 2c per kb for data? The default option (2c per kb) is only there to scam customers out of their hard earned money. Of course they could do something sensible and actually charge normal amounts for out-of-bundle data, but that would be too easy...

For example data on the isp.vodafone.ie APN on prepay is reasonably priced for light users at 19c per MB, that's 0.018c per kb or more then 100 times cheaper than the 2c/kb default bill pay data tariff.

I use this APN on my iPhone, I use Google Maps and browse the Internet and have never used more then 5€ in data charges a month (that's about 25 Mb of data). With my usage pattern a data add on doesn't make sense and I am perfectly happy with the ISP APN. If the default bill pay tariff was similar to this tariff, bill shock would be a lot less common occurrence for customers without data addons.

Exactly.

The problem here is the price Meteor charge for out of bundle data. At over 20 euro/MB, its probably the most expensive in the world..

While it's not the saving people are looking for, it has to be remembered that the 2c per KB charge is when the WAP APN on Meteor is used, while it's just over 4x cheaper when using the Data/ISP APN on postpaid; €0.0048 per KB / under 1/2 c per KB.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Rsaeire wrote: »
    While it's not the saving people are looking for, it has to be remembered that the 2c per KB charge is when the WAP APN on Meteor is used, while it's just over 4x cheaper when using the Data/ISP APN on postpaid; €0.0048 per KB / under 1/2 c per KB.

... which is even more ridiculous. You're transferring the same amount of data on exactly the same network and paying 4 times the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

About 6 months ago i got hit with an extra 100e on my bill for data, i looked at my bill and realised i was at fault and had spent too much time on the internet on my N95.
    I paid it no problem but then called Meteor up and told them i wanted all data to be disabled on my contract. They were not too happy and said they doubted it could be done, i just told them that i was recording the call and had asked them to disable my data connection, making it impossible for me to go online, and if they refused, any bills i get in the future for data i would not pay.
    They cut it off straight away, now i just go on wireless at home and work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

People who only use wifi are a very small minority, sure the whole thinking behind the likes of HTC devices is to have data facilities while on the move. If you're at home why not just a PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

This is just going round in circles. As I've said, most people here are fairly tech savvy and would know how to use the internet, but your average Joe does not.

I still don't see why a massive issue is being made. Firstly, the first 30 days of your internet is free when you upgrade or get a FTC. Secondly, you are not contracted to the add on so you can remove this when you want. Mountains out of molehills here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

scudzilla wrote: »
    About 6 months ago i got hit with an extra 100e on my bill for data, i looked at my bill and realised i was at fault and had spent too much time on the internet on my N95.
    I paid it no problem but then called Meteor up and told them i wanted all data to be disabled on my contract. They were not too happy and said they doubted it could be done, i just told them that i was recording the call and had asked them to disable my data connection, making it impossible for me to go online, and if they refused, any bills i get in the future for data i would not pay.
    They cut it off straight away, now i just go on wireless at home and work.

Why not use the phone to it's full potential and just opt for the 5 euro data add on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Meteor business may have decided not to offer this phone on the old tariff plans as an incentive to customers to upgrade from the old tariffs.

its their offer/business.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

chrislad wrote: »

I still don't see why a massive issue is being made. Firstly, the first 30 days of your internet is free when you upgrade or get a FTC. Secondly, you are not contracted to the add on so you can remove this when you want. Mountains out of molehills here.

+1 for this opinion!

Although, I have really enjoyed reading the thread!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

buy unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

chrislad wrote: »
    I still don't see why a massive issue is being made. Firstly, the first 30 days of your internet is free when you upgrade or get a FTC.

Is that only for billpay or for PAYG also ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just Bill Pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Would love if there was some sort of 'data pack' option on payg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I personally dont agree with the compulsary add on. However i can see where meteor are coming from with this. Why you would by a Hero and not have access to the internet is beyond me. Its designed to be constantly connected to the internet to update inboxs, profiles etc.

Signing a waiver is the only way that i can see to avoid this. That way, the store and customer care can say, 'well you were informed of the costs and choose to not to get the add on.' That way theres no way customers can blame the store/customer care for 'not being told'.

Meteor are only trying to solve a problem before it happens. How they are enforcing that may not be the best, but they are entitled to do what they want on their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Meteor will let you have the Hero they just want you to get the add on too. as mentioned get it with the add on then remove it, no big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Walkman wrote: »
    Meteor will let you have the Hero they just want you to get the add on too. as mentioned get it with the add on then remove it, no big deal

That is obviously my only option. Though pretty pointless.I would quite happily sign a waiver if it were offered! I was just told no phone without add on. ;) Oh well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

dragona wrote: »
    That is obviously my only option. Though pretty pointless.I would quite happily sign a waiver if it were offered! I was just told no phone without add on. ;) Oh well!

Just be careful, android does so much in the background that it eats data. - I've used 150MB in a couple of days, just fluting about. If you do get one, you should delete all the data settings.

I can't blame Meteor asking you to sign up for the data plan, it is a subsidised phone. If you get an iPhone with O2, they screw you on monthly subscription charges + the price of the phone + make you sign up for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Just turn of connecting to the mobile network by going to:
    Menu
    Wireless Controls
    Mobile Network
    and turn it off

This stops ur phone for using the mobile network to connect the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I can't blame Meteor asking you to sign up for the data plan, it is a subsidised phone.

I think that hit the nail on the head

The phone costs 500 euro Meteor give it to you for 99 euro. They will obviously want something for that reduction, and since it is an smart phone that makes a lot of use out of Google web apps (really I think the OP buying a Hero and only using it on Wifi it is a bit of a waste of a phone) it is obvious to push data plans.

Data plans are the future, that is where all the money is going to be made in the next couple of years. The Hero is Meteor's iPhone. It seems reasonable that they would use it to push data plans.

I still think Meteor's data plans are too expensive though, with the Hero you probably need Unlimited (I went through 250MB in a few days just watching a few YouTube clips on the bus home), which is 15 euro on top of my current bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think that hit the nail on the head

The phone costs 500 euro Meteor give it to you for 99 euro. They will obviously want something for that reduction, and since it is an smart phone that makes a lot of use out of Google web apps (really I think the OP buying a Hero and only using it on Wifi it is a bit of a waste of a phone) it is obvious to push data plans.

how integrated is all the googlestuff in the OS? surely you can remove and use stand-alone apps since so many are available?

Advertisement