Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor won't LET me have the Hero.....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Dankoozy wrote: »
    how integrated is all the googlestuff in the OS? surely you can remove and use stand-alone apps since so many are available?

Seriously, there is a huge amount of data passed back and forth. Nearly all the apps I've used have been using data in the background - there really is no point in having this phone without a data plan... You could turn off data, but you'd be better of buying a cheaper more simple phone if you just plan on using wifi.

The hero is great at browsing etc... but the big benefit is all the passive stuff it does, and all the apps, that their own agenda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the_manchine

It may not be possible to disable everything on it as you'd like. Especially as it's what the phone is designed to do.
    I found that using google maps on my Omnia used to bring up a data connection every X mins even though I thought I'd closed the app. Unless the average user knows what to look for in terms of symbols indicating that the phone is online they could get stung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Seriously, there is a huge amount of data passed back and forth. Nearly all the apps I've used have been using data in the background - there really is no point in having this phone without a data plan... You could turn off data, but you'd be better of buying a cheaper more simple phone if you just plan on using wifi.

The hero is great at browsing etc... but the big benefit is all the passive stuff it does, and all the apps, that their own agenda...

and most of that data is probably wasted/unnecessary phone home & statistic-collecting data and sent in verbose formats like JSON and XML.

are these apps non-removable or something? surely there is a way of disabling them without turning off data altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Kohhal

I went down to pay(€160) for and collect my HTC Hero from Meteor in Liffey Valley which I had reserved. Getting it on the Connect 20, 18 month contract with €5 data for €25/month all in. Then I'm told, i have to pay a €300eur DEPOSIT on the phone??? Ridiculous!!!! (so basically pay for the phone and then they want the first year in bills up front too)

Does anyone know if this guy in the shop is correct? If so it's madness, I walked out...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

I think this is usually if you have a no/bad credit rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

yeah its all part of their credit rating system.
    absolutely nothing the guy in the shop could have done about it.
    its not the worst deposit people have had to pay.

Don't understand it, 160 for phone, 300 deposit and commit to 18 month contract - makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Kohhal wrote: »
    I went down to pay(€160) for and collect my HTC Hero from Meteor in Liffey Valley which I had reserved. Getting it on the Connect 20, 18 month contract with €5 data for €25/month all in. Then I'm told, i have to pay a €300eur DEPOSIT on the phone??? Ridiculous!!!! (so basically pay for the phone and then they want the first year in bills up front too)

Does anyone know if this guy in the shop is correct? If so it's madness, I walked out...

Happens all the time, for no good reason. Even on sim only, 1 month contract connections... The most I've seen them do is take it down to e100, but you will have to pay.

Nothing that the guys in store could have done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Believe me, the staff member was just as annoyed as you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Kohhal wrote: »
    Don't understand it, 160 for phone, 300 deposit and commit to 18 month contract - makes no sense

I'd imagine it's to guard against people running up ridiculous bills and then legging it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

brianblaze wrote: »
    Happens all the time, for no good reason. Even on sim only, 1 month contract connections... The most I've seen them do is take it down to e100, but you will have to pay.

Nothing that the guys in store could have done about it.

no you won't.. This happened to me, their system is a joke.. Went into grafton st, they wanted 50 euro deposit, I refused, later was in dun laoighre , wanted 300! I rang them up to express my feelings.. Theyvtold ne to put it in writing, so I scanned a letter and mailed it to them , no reply after over a week, rang again and got talking to a rude credit control manager and eventually got the deposit waived...

My girlfriend is joining meteor soon, I'm dreading the though of the whole process again..their system stinks and is totally random..

long_b wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's to guard against people running up ridiculous bills and then legging it ?

Why ask for ID and proof of address so. And nowhere in any terms and conditions are deposits mentioned, reeks of false advertising if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I didn't even had a proper bill just printout of e-bill and worked fine. No deposit or whatsoever taken. But I was porting from three and going with surf tariff.

I went into the Grafton St. store a couple days ago and got the phone, not even a mention of a deposit from the guy, unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

iphone/internet phone noob here... just wondering has anyone here bought the Hero with 5 euro bundle? Have been thinking about getting one of these on the 18 month, 20 euro/month contract and adding the bundle for 5/month...Personally I have no experience of using mobile internet so have no idea of the costs.... but for checking emails/facebook/maps etc would the 5 euro add on be enough? How much would you need to be using the phone in order to exceed the 250mb add on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

250mb/month is more than enough for light enough browsing/internet and emails. i had it online checking my company emails for a few weeks there and didnt come close to using 250mb (im at 243mb left to use over the next 2 weeks)
    i do have wireless internet at home and use that if i needed it on my phone though but dont all that often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wealthyboris

I've been heavily using a HTC G1 and now the HTC Magic for about 9 months now... I constantly download / update applications, YouTube, I have it synced with 2 Email Accounts and 3 IM clients, it runs Facebook and BBC News updates and pulls some RSS Feeds all day long and I browse about 30 webpages per day, all on 3G...

I would regard this as heavy use, I'm never off the thing - and the most data I've ever used in a month is about 400Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I gotta agree with the above two posts. Unless you are intending on listening to streaming internet radio through the HTC, 250MB should be more than enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phili_g

Can anyone tell me if you can get the Hero on the lower priced bill plan (Connect 25 for 12 month contract or Connect 20 for 18 month)

My brother went in to get his upgrade and was told he had to sign up to connect 50 which I think was wrong information

If anyone got the Hero on the 25 euro or 20 euro a month packages can you let me know the cost of the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I got mine on connect 20 for €150. I can't get an unlimited data plan though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mooman wrote: »
    I got mine on connect 20 for €150. I can't get an unlimited data plan though
    Got mine on connect 20 for €109. (Upgrade)They made me take the €5 data add-on but I just cancelled it a day after.

squared wrote: »
    Got mine on connect 20 for €109. (Upgrade)They made me take the €5 data add-on but I just cancelled it a day after.

Mine was an upgrade too their pricing policy seems fairly random. The data bundle is well worth the €5 a month in my opinion, 250Mb goes waaaay further than I was expecting I'm glad I didn't get unlimited now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Mine was an upgrade too their pricing policy seems fairly random. The data bundle is well worth the €5 a month in my opinion, 250Mb goes waaaay further than I was expecting I'm glad I didn't get unlimited now.

I guess it is handy but I'm happy enough just using the wifi in home and at work. Meteor sales assisants must think we're all dumb, "The phone won't work properly if its not connected to the internet." is what I was told, had to laugh at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

well it pretty much wont work as people expect without the add-on.To me theres no point in just using it at home and in work on wi-fi as I have a computer in these places and it can do everything better than the hero can. Its when im able to do stuff out and about that the hero shines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Ares wrote: »
    well it pretty much wont work as people expect without the add-on.To me theres no point in just using it at home and in work on wi-fi as I have a computer in these places and it can do everything better than the hero can. Its when im able to do stuff out and about that the hero shines.

Exactly. Whenever anyone asks me should they get a smartphone, the first thing I ask them is whether or not they are going to get a data addon and use mobile internet. If they say no, then they are wasting their money buying a phone like the Hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Exactly, you'd be suprised how little you use.

Now please get rid of that stupid signature :P

rizzee wrote: »
    Exactly, you'd be suprised how little you use.

Now please get rid of that stupid signature :P

No chance I'll be gloating about this one for the next few years:D

I got mine on connect 20 too for 160eur so you can defo get it. Meteor Lucan wanted 300eur deposit too but I got it in Meteor grafton st for above price and no deposit.

Advertisement