Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 300e build possible ?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The reason i ask this is I have just finished my first build, a success all but for a bad stick of RAM. That build cost me 1600e but its pretty high end as some of the poster here know as they helped build it.
    Now i have caught the building bug and was thinking whats the cheapest build possible, no monitor just a basic pc for web browsing, itunes and watching the odd movie?

thinking along the lines of a xmas present, but dont want to go over 300e :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Don't bother, get this instead... For less than €200 delivered

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153

The ion chip can handle full hd movies on a full hd screen, people have been raving about this on Bargain Alerts for ages, Does for a great htpc!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

For ultra-cheap computers, buying is always better than building.

And that's quite a nice little find there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I have twice gotten quadcore (q6600) refurbished Pavillions with 1tb, 4 ram, Vista, 9600GT for around the 300 mark on ebay.. but thats with a lot of scouring, good exchange rate and good bidding, etc

Refurbished dells/hp's/etc definitely beat out the 'build' pcs at that price mark.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I concur with all the other opinions here, but so long as you don't need OS or peripherals then <€300 is at least doable...

I feel like I need to redeem the honour of B&U so...

Dabs061109.png

I'll proudly point out that it isn't that many millions of times pricier than the Revo, and its a helluva lot more powerful :D Its specced with a reasonable mobo with decent integrated graphics. The ION platform is hilarious as its the first time an integrated GPU has been too powerful for the CPU to handle :P That Revo doesn't just have an Atom, but the worst Atom. The weakest CPU you can buy! (not counting any old 900MHz ULV Celerons out there, and even then not by much...) IIRC the N230 can't keep up with the 9400GS during 1080p HDCP playback :o At least my build stands some chance of stutter-free HD playback! :P

And I could easily go to 3GB RAM and a dual-core CPU and keep things under €250 inc shipping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Solitaire wrote: »

And I could easily go to 3GB RAM and a dual-core CPU and keep things under €250 inc shipping ;)

Unlock that Sempron lol :p

Good Build though :)

• Advertisement

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Unlock that Sempron lol :p

Is that Leman's altaccount or something?! lol.gif

Besides, think the Semprons use their own dies so no dormant cores lying around to activate :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Is that Leman's altaccount or something?! lol.gif

NO U! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

And yeah, you are right, it's only the Phenom II and I think the Athlons that use a 4core die for all the chips and just Bin them according to how many cores make the grade.

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    NO U! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

And yeah, you are right, it's only the Phenom II and I think the Athlons that use a 4core die for all the chips and just Bin them according to how many cores make the grade.

Isnt that Sempron 140 a single core...you can unlock it to an Athlon II Dual.Ive seen it on Overclock.net.

Give me a min to find it

Edit : http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/556375-gg-sempron-140-unlocks-athlon-ii.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Like I said, only Phenom and Athlon :P

How was I to know AMD had a funny name for the faulty ones!

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Like I said, only Phenom and Athlon :P

How was I to know AMD had a funny name for the faulty ones!

:p

I lol'd

• Advertisement

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Isnt that Sempron 140 a single core...you can unlock it to an Athlon II Dual.Ive seen it on Overclock.net.

Yup, I was wrong. All P2s come from the same dies but I know there are two different dies for the A2 - a dualie with 1MB L2 per core and a quad with 512kb L2 per core. Didn't know the Semprons came from the former rather than using their own die...

Of course, there's no guarantees that an unlock will work, and you have to spend extra to get an SB710 mobo. Which means you'd be better off spending the extra €10-15 for a C2D Celeron or an A2 X2-200 series.

Yup, I was wrong. All P2s come from the same dies but I know there are two different dies for the A2 - a dualie with 1MB L2 per core and a quad with 512kb L2 per core. Didn't know the Semprons came from the former rather than using their own die...

Of course, there's no guarantees that an unlock will work, and you have to spend extra to get an SB710 mobo. Which means you'd be better off spending the extra €10-15 for a C2D Celeron or an A2 X2-200 series.

True,I was just throwing the Tweaking + Modding sections input into this :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Its do able so at a pinch, however i just got the news she wants a mac air book....nuts to that im going to buy her a bike for xmas as she's putting on a little weight...think i will be posting here again say after Dec 25th ?

thanks for all the help

Advertisement