Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to fix some cable connectors on main board and optical drive [PS3]

Options
  • 06-11-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Not posting this in the PS3 forum as I believe it's more suited here. Bare with me

I recently purchased a second hand PS3 knowing that the Blue Ray drive wasn't working. that was fine. Made my transaction, brought it home, hooked it up to TV and everything except the BR Drive was functioning. Brilliant as that's what I was expecting

Attempted upgrading to latest firmware and that's when it crapped out. Long story short, opened up the PS3 and found that the actual cable connecting the drive to the main board wasn't connected.

Seller said that he got someone to have a look and try fix the issue. This someone must have been a twat because they fooked up the mainboard and the drive cable connectors. I even found some sellotape inside the unit....

This is a pic x 2 of the main board. In the red circle, you can see the connector. The black strap has been broken off
    ps3_mainboard_01.jpg
    ps3_mainboard_02.jpg

This is a pic of the BR Drive. You can see 3 connectors. The middle on has the black strip broken off.
    ps3_brdrive_01.jpg

In each of the main board and the drive connectors, the cable doesn't sit in. Is there anything I can purchase to make the cable connect to the pins in the connector. I don't mind the odd bit of soldering.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

The console modding forum might be a better place for this. I'm petty sure the lads there will be able to help you out in a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

pm me i have a ps3 that u might be able to salvage parts from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ThaHandyman

I fixed my PS3 YLOD yellow light of death but I messed up the ribbon cable and the connector u circled in red that is on the ps3 motherboard i broke some of the gold teeth and the plastic cover of the rectangular connector I'm tryin to find a store or website that sells it if u know the website can u tell me it. I googled a search but i cant find one the only thing i found was the ribbon cable. I will order it about $12 us dollars. But I still need the connector part. I would greatly appreciate it. ANd how do u remove the connector from the motherboard is it soldered on or is it snap on? Thx.

massy086 wrote: »
    pm me i have a ps3 that u might be able to salvage parts from
    Can u give me the part that is on the motherboard mine is broke & i cant download the firmware i think bc it is broke. I cant even play demos when my ps3 was working after i fixed it with heatgun. i had the YLOD. I just need the part that is on the motherboard do u know how to remove it? If u do please let me know, THX.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

can u send me some sort of pic of wat u need and ill see wat i can do

• Advertisement

Yes the first picture he took above where the red circle is on the right upper part of motherboard. The cream colored connector in my case its black I'm from California, USA. The one where he says motherboard and you can see the silver case that surrounds the chip leaving it exposed. Dimensions are approximately 1 1/4 " long and 1/4" wide. Where are you from Massy? Thanks for the reply. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Does anyone know the names of these clips. Without the actual names, I'm finding it hard to even search for them.

Oh, and they are soldered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hey RangeR I have an identical situation to you, I bought a PS3 with a faulty optical drive. When I opened it up I found that the cable clip was broken by the previous owner also. I decided to go online and download some PSN games I bought previously, but had to update the firmware to be allowed to proceed. Now the PS3 is in a constant update / update failed cycle which I now because of your thread learned is due to the 'missing' Blu-Ray drive, which is a bit of a relief since I thought the HDD was faulty as well.

Have you made any progress with the problem in the last couple of months? I'm thinking of taking out the HDD and formatting it in the hope thatit will remove the 'update' folder, if there is one (hopefully it's like the xbox and all I need to do is delete the $SystemUpdate$ folder).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Gadge wrote: »
    Hey RangeR I have an identical situation to you, I bought a PS3 with a faulty optical drive. When I opened it up I found that the cable clip was broken by the previous owner also. I decided to go online and download some PSN games I bought previously, but had to update the firmware to be allowed to proceed. Now the PS3 is in a constant update / update failed cycle which I now because of your thread learned is due to the 'missing' Blu-Ray drive, which is a bit of a relief since I thought the HDD was faulty as well.

Have you made any progress with the problem in the last couple of months? I'm thinking of taking out the HDD and formatting it in the hope thatit will remove the 'update' folder, if there is one (hopefully it's like the xbox and all I need to do is delete the $SystemUpdate$ folder).

I don't think that one will be easy to fix. From what Ive read I think the drive controller board is also flashed at the same time as the main firmware update and if the drive isn't connected you have a serious problem..

• Advertisement

Feck, so I'd have to buy a new drive altogether and hope everything works? Gah!

Afraid not, the drive controller and the mainboard are linked in some way. You can swap drives but not controller boards. It could well be bricked.

Maybe see if you can access the recovery menu.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/How-to-access-the-PlayStation-3-Recovery-Menu/m-p/39144801/message-uid/39144801

Edit: There's some interesting reading here. If you could get the drive reconnected (dab of hot glue perhaps) you could try resetting things by removing that little battery and shorting the pins like that thread suggests, not the exact same situation but may be worth a go.

I just turned on the PS3 there after 2-3 months... I'm getting the blinking red light error. I tried reseating the HDD a few times but to no avail. I then tried it with a different HDD and still no luck. I believe the PS3 is no more.

Thanks anyway for the advice Redisle.

Id say stick it on ebay. You could easily get 20-30 or more for it, especially if it's a 60gb, should at least be good for drive loader, psu, etc.

Yeah I might do that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You're PS3 is probably ok. Put back in the HDD that you originally tried to upgrade. It should still go through the update / failed update cycle.

Mine is still broken. I just don't have the time to fix it but it IS fixable. That I have no doubt.I put it on adverts but have no takers yet. Well I had one but I refused to sell to him as he was wasting my time.

I don't think so man, I tried it a few times with both HDDs, I'm still getting the blinking red light of hate, or the BRoH, as I'm now calling it :(

Advertisement