Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's our driving...?(forum feedback)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Okay, here's your feedback: I have pm'd mods in the past, but it's a futile exercise as it only results in an argument going around in circles. No hidden agenda.

I am aware that this is a feedback thread, but I need to know the answer to the question above in order to provide feedback on the possible existence of double standards and bias employed in the soccer forum. Now, can you answer my original question please.

He seems rude and all that but sould he really get a ban for saying the word clown?

Now I got a week long ban, not infraction, for posting a picture in a Liverpool Lyon thread. I had to take the mod's word for it that somebody complained but I fear it was a case of said mod not knowing I was a Liverpool fan. Noneof the Liverpool fans I know around here would have had a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

But I think the reduction to 1 infraction is too far in the other extreme imo. I think, particularly given the forum we're on, 2 yellows = red would be more appropriate.

I have to admit i didn't read the updated charter regarding the 1 yellow = 1 week ban but disregarding that i feel it is actually a fair punishment.

Football is a sensitive sport and we wouldn't have it any other way and when we fook up here with our comments we need to be kept in check.By we, i mean all users equally.There have been posts made in this thread from quite a few users proclaiming a couple of other users are nothing more than trolls which should have resulted in bans "per charter" but all of the said users seemed to have posted in the forum since , which leads to selective modding accusations, no ? Every user should be deemed equal and banworthy if they/we cross the line, no ? Ntlbell and boggles have blatently/indirectly been called trolls in this thread but all of the posters who made the claims have since posted without infraction * it seems ?

* I didn't go to lengths to see postcount from said users since they made their claims but seem to recall all having posted since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Football is also about passion and emotions can run high especially in match threads, I really feel this should be taken into account, no need for people to be reporting posts imo unless people start getting personal, for this reason I feel the yellow card = ban is far too harsh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

noodler wrote: »
    Now I got a week long ban, not infraction, for posting a picture in a Liverpool Lyon thread. I had to take the mod's word for it that somebody complained but I fear it was a case of said mod not knowing I was a Liverpool fan. Noneof the Liverpool fans I know around here would have had a problem with it.

This is not the case,your post was reported and by Liverpool fans so don't be trying to portray it in any other light.The bottom line in your case was you ignored a mod warning plus people were offended by the post its actually a pretty clear cut case.

Its has nothing to do with who us support,what you are saying is its ok to let Liverpool fans mock Liverpool,Utd fans can mock Utd and so on.This is a silly suggestion and also how is a new user to the forum meant to know you support Liverpool...?they would not and just think mocking was ok here.

Also when a post is reported all mods can see it not just the soccer mods,I know this case is going back a few weeks but all mods could if they like have had a look and seen your post and how many times it was reported.You were also infraction for the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Okay, here's your feedback: I have pm'd mods in the past, but it's a futile exercise as it only results in an argument going around in circles. No hidden agenda.

I am aware that this is a feedback thread, but I need to know the answer to the question above in order to provide feedback on the possible existence of double standards and bias employed in the soccer forum. Now, can you answer my original question please.

If you have read the updated ruling in the stickies then you would have your answer.

Yellow card = 1 week ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Before we go any further, this is the picture.

633735472547783860-lmao.jpg

Well actually, just the bit in the middle. It was posed after our loss to Lyon with the expressed message that this is how opposition fans were going to be feeling about us (the club, whatever).
    Dub13 wrote: »
    This is not the case,your post was reported and by Liverpool fans so don't be trying to portray it in any other light.The bottom line in your case was you ignored a mod warning plus people were offended by the post its actually a pretty clear cut case.

People were offended by it? Now I am all for not posting anything racist, religious or political but you are telling me actual fans were offended by this? Actual Liverpool fans? You can't name names, but I would love to know which of them did. More to the point, who cares if it was reported? Surely you can't make your decisions this way? I saw that before the post was deleted and myself banned for a week that 2 or 3 people had thanked the post - does that not warrant it staying up by your logic? One other prominent Liverpool fan on this forum (I won't name him) told me via PM that he thought it was ridiculous and that he found it funny.

You would have to tell me how his picture went against your mod warning as well. You have been using that as a catch-all excuse. The mod warning, correct me if I am wrong, was issued becasue people were arguing with each other in the thread. I came in afterwards and was not arguing with anybody. It seems rather pedantic that a thread can be destroyed by a mod warning in this way - there have been umpteen funny pictures posted in the weeks since, some fan somewhere is going to take offense.

I am portraying it in pragmatic light by the way.
    Its has nothing to do with who us support,what you are saying is its ok to let Liverpool fans mock Liverpool,Utd fans can mock Utd and so on.This is a silly suggestion and also how is a new user to the forum meant to know you support Liverpool...?they would not and just think mocking was ok here.

Mocking? Now I think we are at a whole new level of preciousness here. I am pretty sure you are a Liverpool fan but I find it hard to believe the bunch of regulars in the superthread found this to be mocking when they have to put up with some of the "sparring" that gets directed at them. It is clearly a case of self-derision anyway, I doubt there is anyone in the Liverpool fans who do not know I am a Liverpool fan.
    Also when a post is reported all mods can see it not just the soccer mods,I know this case is going back a few weeks but all mods could if they like have had a look and seen your post and how many times it was reported.You were also infraction for the post.

I have no doubt all mods could see it, however, very rarely have I seen someone get a straight one week ban for posting a funny picture in a thread. I mean, for the love of god, they get posted everyday and some are hilarious. I honestly question the relevance of it being reported. How many "LOLs", "Get ins" or Smilies did us Liverpool fans have to put up with in the Brum match thread last week? Were they not mocking?

Important to note after all this that I have never had an issue with you or any other mod on this thread but I was gob smacked when the ban came for that. I had left it alone but given we are being encouraged to post in this thread I decided it was worth bringing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

d22ontour wrote: »
    There have been posts made in this thread from quite a few users proclaiming a couple of other users are nothing more than trolls which should have resulted in bans "per charter" but all of the said users seemed to have posted in the forum since , which leads to selective modding accusations, no ? Every user should be deemed equal and banworthy if they/we cross the line, no ? Ntlbell and boggles have blatently/indirectly been called trolls in this thread but all of the posters who made the claims have since posted without infraction * it seems ?

That is correct.

Common sense suggests that we cannot in good conscience issue infractions to people for back seat moderation in a thread where we have invited comments on forum moderation.

I'd rather people were able to make their arguments without pointing fingers but that seems to be above certain posters, and that is to the detriment of the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If you have read the updated ruling in the stickies then you would have your answer.

Yellow card = 1 week ban

Yes Xavi, I have read the updated stickies, but the poster was able to make 5 more posts in the soccer forum after that abusive comment, so I wasn't sure if he was banned or not. Obviously, he was banned some time after he made that comment which is fair enough.

I received a ban myself for calling Rafa Benitez a clown. However, I didn't call him a clown for the sake of calling him a clown- I used the term because I though it was an apt description of an incompetent manager in charge of one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Furthermore, I backed up my statement with a number of coherent points showing how I came to that conclusion. I think the ban I received was very harsh seeing as I was merely trying to provide an honest and accurate opinion on Rafa Benitez's tenure in charge of Liverpool FC. If I used emotive language to give that analysis, then I'm sorry but football is an emotional and passionate sport, and that's what makes it great.

The reason I asked whether heavyballs had received a ban was because I thought he might have escaped punishment seeing as he made 5 posts after his abusive comment, which in turn would lead to allegations of double standards. However, it is clear that he did receive a ban, so I apologise for raising this point.

He seems rude and all that but sould he really get a ban for saying the word clown?

No, imo. At most a warning; a week's ban is way over the top and shows you how anal this forum has become.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Football is also about passion and emotions can run high especially in match threads, I really feel this should be taken into account, no need for people to be reporting posts imo unless people start getting personal, for this reason I feel the yellow card = ban is far too harsh.

+1 well said, especially the part in bold. I made a similar argument previously in this feedback thread. If you take the passion and the emotion out of the soccer forum, what exactly are you left with? It's ridiculous and the exclusion of passion, emotion, and witty banter is only to the detriment of the forum.

I think the threshold should be along the lines if the RTE panel could say it, then it should be allowed in the soccer forum- so for example, if Dunphy calls Stan a useless manager or a clown, then this should be allowed, provided you substantiate your statement precisely as to why Stan is a clown (not saying he his a clown obviously, just using him as a random example as he did get a fair bit of abuse from the RTE panel during his time in charge of Ireland).

It has everything to do with who you support. Recently, there was a thread slagging of Real Madrid after they lost to a minnow and yet the thread wasn't closed nor were there any bans handed out. Imagine if I started a thread about Liverpool after a poor result against one of the teams in the lower half of the Premier League......... double standards!

Yes Xavi, I have read the updated stickies, but the poster was able to make 5 more posts in the soccer forum after that abusive comment, so I wasn't sure if he was banned or not. Obviously, some time after he made that comment which is fair enough.

So you expect one of us to be here 24/7 to babysit a group of grown individuals who can't abide by a simple set of rules?

We have lives as well you know. If someone isn't banned immediately it's because we're in work/asleep/dealing with more important issues than a football forum. God forbid we log off every once in a while.
    I received a ban myself for calling Rafa Benitez a clown. However, I didn't call him a clown for the sake of calling him a clown- I used the term because I though it was an apt description of an incompetent manager in charge of one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Furthermore, I backed up my statement with a number of coherent points showing how I came to that conclusion. I think the ban I received was very harsh seeing as I was merely trying to provide an honest and accurate opinion on Rafa Benitez's tenure in charge of Liverpool FC. If I used emotive language to give that analysis, then I'm sorry but football is an emotional and passionate sport, and that's what makes it great.

I don't see any need to resort to name calling when making a point.

You can say "Rafa is an extremely poor and inept manager" without calling him a clown. If you can't then it's a problem from your end.
    The reason I asked whether heavyballs had received a ban was because I thought he might have escaped punishment seeing as he made 5 posts after his abusive comment, which in turn would lead to allegations of double standards. However, it is clear that he did receive a ban, so I apologise for raising this point.

We don't have double standards because it's not worth our while given the amount of whinging we would have to deal with if we did.
    No, imo. At most a warning; a week's ban is way over the top and shows you how anal this forum has become.

We gave reasons why the yellow card = ban rule was brought. Some people have been unfortunate to have gotten banned for comments that would normally have gotten a warning, but then again, everyone agreed to abide by the charter so why break the rules in the first place?

(I'm speaking in general terms, not specifically about noodler's case)

+1 well said, especially the part in bold. I made a similar argument previously in this feedback thread. If you take the passion and the emotion out of the soccer forum, what exactly are you left with? It's ridiculous and the exclusion of passion, emotion, and witty banter is only to the detriment of the forum.

It's the users that drive the forum. If people didn't run crying and moaning every time there was a cheap dig or a bit of OTT emotion then it would be all good.

Again, you don't see the sort of stuff that gets reported. We do, and some of it is unbelievable.
    I think the threshold should be along the lines if the RTE panel could say it, then it should be allowed in the soccer forum- so for example, if Dunphy calls Stan a useless manager or a clown, then this should be allowed, provided you substantiate your statement precisely as to why Stan is a clown (not saying he his a clown obviously, just using him as a random example as he did get a fair bit of abuse from the RTE panel during his time in charge of Ireland).

So we should be able to makes slanderous comments about Mr. X running off with a young wan? That in itself would get boards.ie in the shitter.

As much as I love Eamo, is he really what you want this forum to aspire to?
    It has everything to do with who you support. Recently, there was a thread slagging of Real Madrid after they lost to a minnow and yet the thread wasn't closed nor were there any bans handed out. Imagine if I started a thread about Liverpool after a poor result against one of the teams in the lower half of the Premier League......... double standards!

It has nothing to do with who we support.

People are far more touchy when it comes to their own club. We don't have many (any?) life long Real Madrid fans here to go crying foul play so there's less of a reason to close such a thread.

You're right though, a Pool one would be locked. Why? Because the forum users would dictate that it needed to be. We have enough experience in this place to know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

are all yellow cards mean a 1 week ban ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Should be more relaxed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Is there any point in users posting in this thread because from what ive seen everything is just being rejected by the mods. This place is a joke really when it comes to moderation (not the actual mods, who are all sound bar 1 IMO) but its just way too strict. We are all grown ups here, anyone who takes offence at being called a clown etc shouldnt be on here in the first place. I called Alex Ferguson "Slur Alex", and got an infraction. Who the hell is going to be offended by that? He wont be reading the board, nobody is going to get in trouble for it (MCD Style)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Melion wrote: »
    I called Alex Ferguson "Slur Alex",

Are you twelve? Are you in a playground?

What do you get out of typing tripe like that?

Frankly, if you want to post stuff along those lines, there is a forum on Football 365 which caters to that mentality.

It's nursery school stuff.

I always thought this forum had less of a "low brow" feeling to it than the likes of F365, the unmoderated Guardian Blog comments or some other jokeshop like that.

If you'd rather something like the comments that appear under Youtube videos, then I really don't think the Boards.ie Soccer Forum is for you.

And nor should it be.

I don't think this forum should cater to the likes of people who want to use terms like Slur Alex, Fat Spanish Waiter or other things like that. Slagging Phil Brown's tan, Gary Megson's red hair or whatever.

Pure childishness, that deserves infractions, in my opinion.

I got an infraction for that, yet there are plenty of other fans who constantly mention the fat spanish waiter shít but nothing is done. IIRC somebody even has it in their sig.

I got an infraction for that,
    Well deserved, imo
    yet there are plenty of other fans who constantly mention the fat spanish waiter shít but nothing is done.
    if you are going to make claims like that, you are going to have to provide examples. Or withdraw the claim.

Have you reported this kind of thing?

IIRC somebody even has it in their sig.

Who?

Des wrote: »
    if you are going to make claims like that, you are going to have to provide examples. Or withdraw the claim.

Have you reported this kind of thing?

I havent reported it because im not a child, it doesnt offend me so why would i? Its getting ridiculously PC around here, its completely taken the fun out of the forum.

Kind of ironic you claiming not to be a child, but campaigning to be allowed to use childish monikers for football personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Frankly, if you want to post stuff along those lines, there is a forum on Football 365 which caters to that mentality.

I always thought this forum had less of a "low brow" feeling to it than the likes of F365, the unmoderated Guardian Blog comments or some other jokeshop like that.

If you'd rather something like the comments that appear under Youtube videos, then I really don't think the Boards.ie Soccer Forum is for you.

And nor should it be.

I don't think this forum should cater to the likes of people who want to use terms like Slur Alex, Fat Spanish Waiter or other things like that. Slagging Phil Brown's tan, Gary Megson's red hair or whatever.

Pure childishness, that deserves infractions, in my opinion.
    Load of nonsense. It's a football forum Des not a Mensa meeting. All the above terms are extremely mild and if anybody gets offended by them they really ought to take a look in the mirror.

Anyway, what's so different about somebody slagging Phil Browns tan and you constantly referring to Sporting Fingal as Sporting Fungal?

that is clearly a typo on my part, look how close the i key is to the u key.

Kind of ironic you claiming not to be a child, but campaigning to be allowed to use childish monikers for football personalities.

Im not campaigning, far from it. But i'm beginning to think that a lot of people on here have never been in a football stadium, god help their precious little ears if they were ever to set foot near a premiership match. Would they go running to the stewards over chants in a stadium?

• Advertisement

Im not campaigning, far from it. But i'm beginning to think that a lot of people on here have never been in a football stadium, god help their precious little ears if they were ever to set foot near a premiership match. Would they go running to the stewards over chants in a stadium?

lol, I go to football every week. I know that name calling and chanting goes on at matches, I even indulge in it myself.

I expect a different experience from an online forum though.

lol, I go to football every week. I know that name calling and chanting goes on at matches, I even indulge in it myself.

I expect a different experience from an online forum though.

Why should it be different?

Why should it be different?

because posting online is in no way the same as being at a football match.

In no way conceivable.

So, by it's very nature, it is different.

that is clearly a typo on my part, look how close the i key is to the u key.
    There were more than 1100 in Tolka for the Fungal game last weekend. 70 of them were Mushrooms.
    Now who's being childish!

Time to start practising what you preach Des. You give out to rival fans for engaging in petty namecalling yet you've spent the whole season calling Fingal names, have no problem calling David Crawley "Creepy" and some of the nicer names you've called teh FAI have been "clowns" "gob****es" and "tossers".

Get down of that ivory tower and join the plebs in the joys of low brow banter!

Pighead wrote: »
    Now who's being childish!

Time to start practising what you preach Des. You give out to rival fans for engaging in petty namecalling yet you've spent the whole season calling Fingal names, have no problem calling David Crawley "Creepy" and some of the nicer names you've called teh FAI have been "clowns" "gob****es" and "tossers".

Get down of that ivory tower and join the plebs in the joys of low brow banter!

I've stopped the childishness since I was banned for it.

I've stopped the childishness since I was banned for it.
    So you've acted like a child for 90% of your time on here yet you feel entitled to say this to people

Frankly Des, that's bit like John Delaney pontificating to Brian Cowen about his lack of leadership qualities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Before we go any further, this is the picture.

Well actually, just the bit in the middle. It was posed after our loss to Lyon with the expressed message that this is how opposition fans were going to be feeling about us (the club, whatever).

It was posted after mod warning's,I was getting complaints that a lot of posts were getting duplicated across the 3 threads,In a attempt to bring some structure to this I posted a warrning which you did not taken on board.I even let a few posts slide after my warning.

Tell me what you post with just the 'funny' pic added to the match thread...?and keep in mind that I asked for that thread to be only about the game.You can try and wrap this complaint up in the fact that it was a 'funny pic' and the big bad mod was been hard on you but that is not the case you got banned for not following a mod warning.I was trying to put some kind of structure on the nights chat and you were not helpful.
    People were offended by it? Now I am all for not posting anything racist, religious or political but you are telling me actual fans were offended by this? Actual Liverpool fans? You can't name names, but I would love to know which of them did. More to the point, who cares if it was reported? Surely you can't make your decisions this way? I saw that before the post was deleted and myself banned for a week that 2 or 3 people had thanked the post - does that not warrant it staying up by your logic? One other prominent Liverpool fan on this forum (I won't name him) told me via PM that he thought it was ridiculous and that he found it funny.

I don't mod by what people report in fact the vast majority of reports I get to first I don't take any action,I only brought up the fact that people took offense and reported it after you claimed nobody would be offended by that post.This is quite simply not the case any mod can look and see the people who reported that post and were offended.
    You would have to tell me how his picture went against your mod warning as well. You have been using that as a catch-all excuse. The mod warning, correct me if I am wrong, was issued becasue people were arguing with each other in the thread. I came in afterwards and was not arguing with anybody. It seems rather pedantic that a thread can be destroyed by a mod warning in this way - there have been umpteen funny pictures posted in the weeks since, some fan somewhere is going to take offense.

You are wrong again,the mod warning was issued because we had 3 threads on the go and I decided to ask for only march talk on that one as it was ofter all the match thread.So I did not destroy any thread in fact you did with your unhelpful 'funny pic',again I was looking out for the best interest's of the forum and trying to bring some structure to the nights events.
    Mocking? Now I think we are at a whole new level of preciousness here. I am pretty sure you are a Liverpool fan but I find it hard to believe the bunch of regulars in the superthread found this to be mocking when they have to put up with some of the "sparring" that gets directed at them. It is clearly a case of self-derision anyway, I doubt there is anyone in the Liverpool fans who do not know I am a Liverpool fan..

Yes I am a Liverpool fan,I am not sure the relevance this has.Why are you bringing up the 'bunch of regulars in the superthread'...?should I mod by how the lads on the Liverpool/Utd Super threads feel..?Belive it or not but some fans don't post on the superthreads and so would not be aware of who you support,again I don't even see the relevance of you been a Liverpool fan or not.If that was the case Utd fans could say Sir Moan but Liverpool fans could not,if I am picking this up wrong let me know but ether way your ban had nothing to do with the funny pic so we are getting side tracked.
    I have no doubt all mods could see it, however, very rarely have I seen someone get a straight one week ban for posting a funny picture in a thread. I mean, for the love of god, they get posted everyday and some are hilarious. I honestly question the relevance of it being reported. How many "LOLs", "Get ins" or Smilies did us Liverpool fans have to put up with in the Brum match thread last week? Were they not mocking?.

You got a yellow for and lets repeat it again not following a mod warning,you added nothing to a thread on which I had asked for only match talk.You did not type one word just a pic not one thing on the game what was I meant to do,everybody else on the forum saw what I was trying to do and helped out,some lads even posted 'sorry Dub13 I did not see the mod note' I let them slide as they could have been posting them just after my mod note was put up.

Is this not good moderation..?The users and the mod working to try and put a structure on a nights events,and then you row in with the school yard stuff that I am trying to drive away from this particle thread as it was for talking about the match.

Alot of people appreciated what I was doing that night,you see we have the experience and we know if we allow the funny pics to get bedded in on a thread then its only going down hill from there.
    Important to note after all this that I have never had an issue with you or any other mod on this thread but I was gob smacked when the ban came for that. I had left it alone but given we are being encouraged to post in this thread I decided it was worth bringing up.

I have never had an issue with you ether.

To sum up this,you got a yellow card for not following 3 on thread mod warnings yes 3.At any time not following a mod note will get you a yellow card,unfortunately for you at the moment every yellow is getting a weeks ban.So once I decided you were getting a yellow I had no choice but to ban you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

So we should be able to makes slanderous comments about Mr. X running off with a young wan? That in itself would get boards.ie in the shitter.

As much as I love Eamo, is he really what you want this forum to aspire to?

But that's not slanderous.... :confused:

RTE have their own legal department, which I'm sure is well-versed in defamation law. Consequently, I can only assume that all of the RTE presenters are made fully aware of what is off limits when it comes to defamatory comments made on air.

It has nothing to do with who we support.

People are far more touchy when it comes to their own club. We don't have many (any?) life long Real Madrid fans here to go crying foul play so there's less of a reason to close such a thread.

You're right though, a Pool one would be locked. Why? Because the forum users would dictate that it needed to be. We have enough experience in this place to know that.

So there are double standards, depending on which clubs/players are discussed. And, it's okay to ridicule a club/player/manager if none of the posters here support them/him?

That's ridiculous, in fairness.

So there are double standards, depending on which clubs/players are discussed. And, it's okay to ridicule a club/player/manager if none of the posters here support them/him?

That's ridiculous, in fairness.

Ridiculous it may be but that's they way it goes based on the nature of the forum. In an ideal world there would no locked threads and everyone would have a jolly good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Not sure how i missed this thread.

Anyway, i do think the moderation can be a little harsh at times, and i dont like the officious tone taken with thread titles being changed to add "Mod Warnings and Notes" all the time.

However, i do think the users on this forum can be a ridiculous bunch at times and there is so much whining and moaning about really stupid things that it seems the mods have little choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Eirebear wrote: »
    Anyway, i do think the moderation can be a little harsh at times, and i dont like the officious tone taken with thread titles being changed to add "Mod Warnings and Notes" all the time.

+1 on this.

Also, Pighead makes some very valid points in the previous page of this thread. When a mod says it, its "witty", when anybody else says it, its "childish". Good deal of hypocrisy at times. Last page is a good example (if you can read objectively).

Overall, bit more relaxed. Don't kill the banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I appreciate the predicament but imo it's a bad Idea to be locking threads tonight. People got to vent their justified anger.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I appreciate the predicament but imo it's a bad Idea to be locking threads tonight. People got to vent their justified anger.

If people could express their anger without resorting to racist slurs and wishing the end of players career then maybe it'd be ok.

I for one am not allowing that sort of crap in the forum and if it means threads need to be locked and tidied then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If people could express their anger without resorting to racist slurs and wishing the end of players career then maybe it'd be ok.

I for one am not allowing that sort of crap in the forum and if it means threads need to be locked and tidied then so be it.

Yeah I just read the last one you locked, it's a tough night on ye all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

+1

Thing is this sorts of sets a precedent now for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Muppet wrote: »

I agree, but bans should have been handed out. Posters who should and do know better are losing the run of themselves. "Tidying up" is not enough. I have been an advocate of the lighter touch, but the amount of abusive posting tonight is inexcusable - no matter who is aggrieved. There ought to be at least 20 frequent posters missing from Soccer for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I completly agree that the racist slurs/whining aren't allowed. What happend has happend, you can't change it.

I'd like to say fair play to the mods on this tonight. They had a hell of a load to deal with and by closing Threads, they stopped what would've turned out to be a free-for-all

+1 for all the soccer mods for dealing with tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Never had a problem with moderation on this forum before.I've been infracted twice myself and I was wrong with what I said but I feel ye should have been harsher tonight.Stuff that people said tonight was ridiculous and severe bans should be handed out.Like Xavi said,when racism comes into and wishing harm to the player,its needed tbh.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I agree, but bans should have been handed out. Posters who should and do know better are losing the run of themselves. "Tidying up" is not enough. I have been an advocate of the lighter touch, but the amount of abusive posting tonight is inexcusable - no matter who is aggrieved. There ought to be at least 20 frequent posters missing from Soccer for the next two weeks.

Give us a few minutes will you? There's two of us online right now dealing with idiotic threads, reported posts, posts to delete, infractions to hand out, threads to be tidied.....oh, and the token PMs about it as well.

What is with this place and people having no patience? God forbid I actually want to go to another site and read a few match reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Give us a few minutes will you? There's two of us online right now dealing with idiotic threads, reported posts, posts to delete, infractions to hand out, threads to be tidied.....oh, and the token PMs about it as well.

What is with this place and people having no patience? God forbid I actually want to go to another site and read a few match reports.

Poor show, the Mods should have been waiting for this and if not available then Cat Mods/Admins drafted in to help.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Poor show, the Mods should have been waiting for this and if not available then Cat Mods/Admins drafted in to help.

yeah, people should live their lives around boards.ie

good call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Lay off him, he's trying his best. Nobody would've expected the backlash Henry recieved.

Sorry, I am as hot-headed as the next, but shouldn't you be in the trouble spots with the big stick, and not in here listening to me? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

So what your saying is that its not ok for anyone to swear ect, fair enough but make sure you set a good example for them all, unlike the last thread you closed when you manipulited a letter to make it look like a swear word, double standards!!!
    Xavi6 wrote:
    ladly.

Cheers for increasing the already big fucking workload. I'd like to digest the aftermath of the match but instead I'm having to babysit two year olds who can't show an ounce of cop on before they hit submit.

Nice one rolleyes.gif

Lay off him, he's trying his best. Nobody would've expected the backlash Henry recieved.

I believe it's called sarcasm.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

With the greatest of respect thats rubbish.

They're volunteers at the end of the day, maybe they wanted to got to the pub or watch with their mates?

At the end of the day, an Ireland thread, with pretty much everyone behind the same team is one of the last places you'd expect the usual peurile bickering that goes on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

So what your saying is that its not ok for anyone to swear ect, fair enough but make sure you set a good example for them all, unlike the last thread you closed when you manipulited a letter to make it look like a swear word, double standards!!!

[/B]

Ah here, people are getting ridiculous.

What are you on about? Do you know the difference between a swear word and racial slur?

Point me out where I said people couldn't swear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Win or loose this board was going to explode with either giddy joy (and druken arguments to follow) or with outrage at something or other. That was no brainer. I'm not having a go at Xavi6, I'm having a go at the Powers that be for being unprepared.

If boards.ie ltd has ambitions to be so bloody professional then it needs to up its game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

OPENROAD wrote: »
    +1

Thing is this sorts of sets a precedent now for the rest of the season.

Not really, i have never seen a thread descend into such chaos in all the time i have read this forum.Locking the thread was the right thing to do and as said above, some of the things posted were way over the top.

858 (353 members & 505 guests) led to a meltdown for a brief period.Won't see that for a while me thinks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement