Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's our driving...?(forum feedback)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So what your saying is that its not ok for anyone to swear ect, fair enough but make sure you set a good example for them all, unlike the last thread you closed when you manipulited a letter to make it look like a swear word, double standards!!!

[/B]

What?

Someone called Henry a ******.

You think that should be allowed?

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Tonight is one night where I would not want to be a mod. Fair play to those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

d22ontour wrote: »
    Not really, i have never seen a thread descend into such chaos in all the time i have read this forum.Locking the thread was the right thing to do and as said above, some of the things posted were way over the top.

858 (353 members & 505 guests) led to a meltdown for a brief period.Won't see that for a while me thinks.

It does imo, lets say things get heated in a match thread in the future, what are the rules then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Do you know the difference between a swear word and racial slur?

Point me out where I said people couldn't swear.

so im allowed to swear without getting a warning or ban am i?
    des wrote:
    What?

Someone called Henry a ******.

You think that should be allowed?

Seriously

Where did i say it was ok to say that? i said it wasn't ok to swear ect did i not????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

once every 4 years mods and we were robbed :)

fair play to trying to take out bad threads, but tbh i wuda just banned stupid comments from the main thread and none of the sh1te threads that spanned out would have happened o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm back from the pub, and I'll ban the fúck out of anyone who acts the bollox.

If you can't control your temper then log off and go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

so im allowed to swear without getting a warning or ban am i?

Where does it say in the charter you can't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Tonight was Ireland and 99% of the users here were supporting the same team in fairness.You would not see that amount of abuse in a league match involving any of the teams we support, if, one of our teams players did the same thing.Heated discussion or not, many,many users went overboard tonight in a game with far more importance for us fans collectively.

There is a difference imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote: »
    Win or loose this board was going to explode with either giddy joy (and druken arguments to follow) or with outrage at something or other. That was no brainer. I'm not having a go at Xavi6, I'm having a go at the Powers that be for being unprepared.

If boards.ie ltd has ambitions to be so bloody professional then it needs to up its game.

The circumstance are rather exceptional tonight MIke, I don't think anyone could have forseen what took place.

The mods are busy enough maybe us regulars should cut them some slack given the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm back from the pub, and I'll ban the fúck out of anyone who acts the bollox.

If you can't control your temper then log off and go to bed.

so it is ok to swer then thanks for clearing that, up. And there is no temper here, just looking for some clarification on something

Tonight was Ireland and 99% of the users here were supporting the same team in fairness.You would not see that amount of abuse in a league match involving any of the teams we support, if, one of our teams players did the same thing.Heated discussion or not, many,many users went overboard tonight in a game with far more importance for us fans collectively.

No difference imo, abuse is abuse, nothing can beat my passion for Arsenal but I wouldn't be allowed to come on a match thread and carry on like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The mods locked the thread exactly because of that. The thread was a train wreck and uncontrollable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

mike65 wrote: »
    Win or loose this board was going to explode with either giddy joy (and druken arguments to follow) or with outrage at something or other. That was no brainer. I'm not having a go at Xavi6, I'm having a go at the Powers that be for being unprepared.

If boards.ie ltd has ambitions to be so bloody professional then it needs to up its game.
    It's not a bad point in all honesty, it would have been easy for the admin side to plan for this, but nobody in the office really keeps up with sports ( too nerdy :) ) and the fact that the moderation system doesn't actually scale for these things is only something we're starting to consider recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Heated night and I understand a lot of the emotions but 2 points:

- calling someone a ****** (n word) is unforgiveable and said persons should be banned from this thread for life imo (as well as all the racist pricks who thanked the post)

- we all know the rules about abusing players. Have yous not got a mate you can ring to vent and f and blind at? There's a facebook thread where you can abuse to your hearts content. we all know this can;t be done here.

The mods are dealing with everything the best they can, anger should be directed elsewhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

There's one thing about all other that can never be condoned and that is racism (work away with the xenophobia thought that's fine :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This isn't a real time conversation system... it turns into it on occasions like this. But moderation always lags behind posting... its that or we pre-moderate which no one wants.

Passion for the game is passion for the game :)

It can be removed, people can get infractions for it, they own their own words.... this isnt Live Television, we can reach out and retake whats said.

DeV.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Heated night and I understand a lot of the emotions but 2 points:

- calling someone a ****** (n word) is unforgiveable and said persons should be banned from this thread for life imo (as well as all the racist pricks who thanked the post)

- we all know the rules about abusing players. Have yous not got a mate you can ring to vent and f and blind at? There's a facebook thread where you can abuse to your hearts content. we all know this can;t be done here.

The mods are dealing with everything the best they can, anger should be directed elsewhere.

Wasn't going to bring it up, but yes, totally unacceptable. Most of the rest was understandable, but that was pathetic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

the person who used the n word should be thrown out of the Soccer Forum for good.

Mods will have to make a statement as after tonight I no longer know what is acceptable and what is not. Appears to be so many inconsistencies.

One thing is for sure they have a tough job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Des wrote: »
    the person who used the n word should be thrown out of the Soccer Forum for good.

What about the thanks the post got?:mad:

• Advertisement

i still can't believe that was said :(

shocking stuff

I Love this site and have a huge amount of respct for all the regulars on here, no matter who we support, never thought i would see racism on here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The mods have their work cut out tonight.

Probably best for nobody else to post in this tonight, let the clear things up and then post tomorrow if you have any criticisms or whatever....the amount of ****e being posted and stupid threads started must be a pain in the ass fir he mods who are feeling it just as bad as anyone else.

The poster I seen didn't have the balls to use the n word.

You see that type of trolling on this board regularly.

Edit: I don't mean racism, just hiding behind terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

C'mon mods, go easy. There's a lot of anger out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This **** is a waste of my ****ing time and energy quite honestly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This **** is a waste of my ****ing time and energy quite honestly.

fairly thankless job alright, esentially the online version on reffing - tonight this thread should of been left alone it was a heated night for all, nobody should of decided to have a go at mod bashing tonight, rightly or wrongly they were prtty lenient and when it comes to racism it has no place in here or anywhere else.

mayordenis wrote: »
    fairly thankless job alright, esentially the online version on reffing - tonight this thread should of been left alone it was a heated night for all, nobody should of decided to have a go at mod bashing tonight, rightly or wrongly they were prtty lenient and when it comes to racism it has no place in here or anywhere else.

to be fair hasn't been much in the way of mod bashing, they have had a tough job tonight and I don't envy them, their does need to be some form of clarification though on Thursday as to what is acceptable and what is not, otherwise what happens in future match threads when emotions can be equally as high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Poor mods. I feel for yous tonight :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    to be fair hasn't been much in the way of mod bashing, they have had a tough job tonight and I don't envy them, their does need to be some form of clarification though on Thursday as to what is acceptable and what is not, otherwise what happens in future match threads when emotions can be equally as high.

It was a one off!

Juut forget it and move on with the way it has been modded.

K-9 wrote: »
    It was a one off!

Juut forget it and move on with the way it has been modded.

I am not knocking the mods in any way or questioning the way things were modded tonight.

I am though now confused after tonight as to what is acceptable and what is not and in the contxt of this thread that is relevant, I agree tonight is possibly not the time to talk about it.

Just to clarify I am not questioning the way things have been modded tonight.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I am not knocking the mods in any way or questioning the way things were modded tonight.

I am though now confused after tonight as to what is acceptable and what is not and in the contxt of this thread that is relevant, I agree tonight is possibly not the time to talk about it.

Just to clarify I am not questioning the way things have been modded tonight.

See what you mean. You'd probably have to have seen the posts after that "goal" and then read back and see what was deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

One think I would suggest is to ban new threads in relation to the match last night, theres about 20 already, and surely theres nothing that can be said on it now, that wouldn't be welcome in one of the existing threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Dub13 wrote: »
    How's our driving...?
    I have no problems with it.

I fell foul of the mods on one occasion, but I think it was deserved really.

There are plenty of soccer forums on the internet that welcome muppetry and thankfully this isn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Not sure if it's been mentioned or if its already implemented but infracted posts should be deleted imo

The LFC superthread is turning into a serious carcrash these days.

The same posters(count on 1 hand) are making serious shít of the thread with their discussion, which involves cheap pot shots at every fcuking discussion taking place.

One of the Mods the other day said it is basically trolling so why is it let happen every single day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The LFC superthread is turning into a serious carcrash these days.

The same posters(count on 1 hand) are making serious shít of the thread with their discussion, which involves cheap pot shots at every fcuking discussion taking place.

One of the Mods the other day said it is basically trolling so why is it let happen every single day?

I think one particular non-Liverpool supported who frequents the thread makes good points regularly. There is a definite aura of some fans not wanting to hear some views that are in a less optimistic light.

I think it provides a good counter balance to be honest.

EDIT: Basically I think the Liverpool thread and fans benefits overall from some of Boggles' views - not saying I always agree but they definitely give food for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

for very minor offences

why cant mods contact the user and just give them some friendly advice ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Why can't we have the 1 week ban yellow card thing back. Works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

noodler wrote: »
    I think one particular non-Liverpool supported who frequents the thread makes good points regularly. There is a definite aura of some fans not wanting to hear some views that are in a less optimistic light.

I think it provides a good counter balance to be honest.

EDIT: Basically I think the Liverpool thread and fans benefits overall from some of Boggles' views - not saying I always agree but they definitely give food for thought.

I have no issue with hard questions being asked. What I do have a problem with though is posters ruining the thread with utterly pointless hypothetical situations that serve no other purpose than to piss fans off. Rebel said it best yesterday;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63433639&postcount=11144

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think the modding is fairly spot on, but I was a tad confused when I got a week's ban for calling a certain Irish player who has a serious amount of grannies, a t*sser, whilst calling Andy Reid "a bag of fat", went without remark. I'm sure there's a genuine reason for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I have no issue with hard questions being asked. What I do have a problem with though is posters ruining the thread with utterly pointless hypothetical situations that serve no other purpose than to piss fans off. Rebel said it best yesterday;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63433639&postcount=11144

Considering the title of the thread in question I don't see any problem discussing hypothetical situations. Boogles explained his reasoning . I agree with Noodles comments above about that thread and the reaction from a minority of contributors.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Considering the title of the thread in quation I don't see any problem discussing hypothetical situations. Boogles explained his reasoning . I agree with Noodles comments above about that thread and the reaction from a minority of contributors.

That's because you're pushing the hypothethical situations, put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself whether you would be happy with such tedious arguments constantly being brought up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That's because you're pushing the hypothethical situations, put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself whether you would be happy with such tedious arguments constantly being brought up.

:)

you dont go into the man utd thread much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I have a suggestion, not to do with moderating so feel free to move it if it merits it.

Would the mods consider constructing a subforum for all the gossip/teamtalk threads? They seem to fill up the main forum and I often miss threads amongst the pile that I would have contributed to had I seen it at the time.

I'm not sure what other posters thoughts are on this but I just said I'd chip in. You can never have enough constructive criticism :)

Headshot wrote: »
    :)

you dont go into the man utd thread much ?

I've no interest to be honest.

• Advertisement

Usually by the same couple of non Liverpool fans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

x43r0 wrote: »
    I have a suggestion, not to do with moderating so feel free to move it if it merits it.

Would the mods consider constructing a subforum for all the gossip/teamtalk threads? They seem to fill up the main forum and I often miss threads amongst the pile that I would have contributed to had I seen it at the time.

I'm not sure what other posters thoughts are on this but I just said I'd chip in. You can never have enough constructive criticism :)

Hi,

This thread is more like a mid season report card,We tend to have a bigger more forum direction thread in the summer which is the off season (sorry LOI fans but its true) for this forum.So we will conceder this in the summer but it has not got support in the past.

On a side note,I think we need to close this off in the next week or so as it was never meant to be a permanent thread.

K-9 wrote: »
    Usually by the same couple of non Liverpool fans.

It's a difficult situation. We're back to the "ignore them" solution, however if that is done then in a way it seems like we are conceding defeat to criticism from rival fans. If we do respond, inevitably someone will give them the desired reaction. Either way, it's a win-win situation for those non-fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It has nothing to do with hypothetical situations though , it boils down to people taking offense to criticism being directed towards their club and too many don't have the mentality/intelligence to accept criticism whether its phactual or baseless.
    That is as much a problem imo.

If you want undying Rafa love-ins reg on Rawk or that Irish one and live in cuckoo land.I think i would rather read the few decent Pool posters here who can actually say what they think is right/wrong with their club than read threads i get linked to by 'In Rafa we Trust' sheep.

Baseless posts are annoying too and maybe/possibly i have made a few too but plenty of sheep make them too, so it kinda counters itself out , no ? :p
    x43r0 wrote: »

Possibly sticking the biggest super threads might help the situation but it's true some topics seem to die off before they can be noticed.Sub forums might work but it would dilute the main forum somewhat,maybe ? Sticky the 5 biggest viewed/posted in superthreads and lose a few of the stickies atm.There are six and at least 3 don't need to be there,Forum update,hot topics and streams too.Stream requests outside of match threads serves little purpose imo.I would change the Eirebhoy one from memorial to the RIP and make it stickied to the top and merge all of his threads into it.

That could make the room for some stickied superthreads but one mans stickied thread is another mans bane , etc , would lead to whining why such and such isn't stickied possibly.. ;)

It's a difficult situation. We're back to the "ignore them" solution, however if that is done then in a way it seems like we are conceding defeat to criticism from rival fans. If we do respond, inevitably someone will give them the desired reaction. Either way, it's a win-win situation for those non-fans.

If its a reasonable discussion it usually is discussed, as long as it hasn't been done to death before. The one that Rafa should have signed 4/5 cheap players seems to be the recurrent one now and that's to be expected, though a little pointless. The Torres one was a bit ridiculous. We know it could happen, as fans we don't want to discuss it unless its a real possibility! Think Rebel answered it well, why should we discuss it? Times are bad enough!
    It has nothing to do with hypothetical situations though , it boils down to people taking offense to criticism being directed towards their club and too many don't have the mentality/intelligence to accept criticism whether its phactual or baseless.
    That is as much a problem imo.

If you want undying Rafa love-ins reg on Rawk or that Irish one and live in cuckoo land.I think i would rather read the few decent Pool posters here who can actually say what they think is right/wrong with their club than read threads i get linked to by 'In Rafa we Trust' sheep.

Baseless posts are annoying too and maybe/possibly i have made a few too but plenty of sheep make them too, so it kinda counters itself out , no ? :p

Possibly sticking the biggest super threads might help the situation but it's true some topics seem to die off before they can be noticed.Sub forums might work but it would dilute the main forum somewhat,maybe ? Sticky the 5 biggest viewed/posted in superthreads and lose a few of the stickies atm.There are six and at least 3 don't need to be there,Forum update,hot topics and streams too.Stream requests outside of match threads serves little purpose imo.I would change the Eirebhoy one from memorial to the RIP and make it stickied to the top and merge all of his threads into it.

That could make the room for some stickied superthreads but one mans stickied thread is another mans bane , etc , would lead to whining why such and such isn't stickied possibly.. ;)

If its reasonable criticism it does get discussed!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement