Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References

Options
  • 06-11-2009 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just a quick question... well a situation i think is happening to me...

Lets say you worked somewhere for a few years, and youd mark it as valuable experience, good job / position etc. An assest to a CV.

Now you leave this job in somewhat of a not so nice way, felt forced to quit in a way, everything was kind of hinted at instead of a bust up as such. but now looking for a new job and this being a big reference to put for me... but whos to say whats being said about me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

A few years ago I was having problems securing a job. After four or five companies asked for references and then said they thought me unsuitable for the position I asked a friend to phone for a reference. He was told 'I left them in the lurch'. My advice: phone a friend!
    I actually left when my wife passed on, I have three children that needed me and I was studing for a degree at the time. The company I previously worked for knew all this but for whatever reasons they cost me some pretty good jobs. Even after I finished working there I talked to a lot of the employees including the lady that was giving the bad references. I was even asked to return but with my new circumstances the hours just didnt suit.
    I started a thread so people could write their experiences about companies in the hope people looking for jobs could get references before making a decision as to whether or not they would want to work for certain companies, perhaps you could add a post detailing the company and what they are like to work for? If potential employees have to give references why shouldnt employers do the same? After all its employees that make money for the companies so its not just a one way street!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Alot of large multinationals won't give references any more because it is a minefield.

Legally, a reference is only supposed to confirm that A worked in the company from x to y. They won't make statements about the person. However, a lot of smaller companies tend to regard references as a weapon or a reward for former employees and as a result people are always nervous about what a former manager might say about them.

If you're really stuck for a reference and feel your previous manager would give you a negative one then ask a former colleague that you trust to act as referee. Just get them to confirm your duration of empployment with the company.

Advertisement