Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding in the rain!

Options
  • 06-11-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've started riding a friends horse some evenings, and obviously have to go out in the rain most days :rolleyes: Both myself and the horse have no problem with getting soaked, however it's after riding that I would like the advice. I do a cool down before leaving the arena, and usually wash down his legs as they're covered in sand. What can I do to help him dry off faster before he gets his rug on? (there's no straw in the stables to stuff in his rug, shavings are used as bedding)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Heya,

Try an old fashioned 'string vest' sweat rug under a cooler. I find it works faster than just the new-type coolers on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

You could try an exercise rug, you know the ones that go from under the saddle and over the horses rump? I used one on my thoroughbred and she was fine with it but it was an entirely different story with my last horse! They wont keep the horse 100% dry but might help. I would suggest getting a Hi-Viz one incase you go out on a hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

i work out in out the wetest places in Ireland, with no indoor, so when schooling, myself and horse get soaked, for quickest drying, i find the bucas power coolers the best, but only after a full body hose and scraped off, with a 5 min walk around the stables, those string vests are great aswell, just away from fleece, and they only seem to exacerbate the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I often get soaked when riding as well, no indoor!

What I usually do is, after I have walked her off, will use a sweat scraper on her to get as much as possible off.

Then what I would do is put on a light cooler on her and then either walk her for a few minutes up and down the barn or put her into the walker (depending on the rain, if it's rain that's being blown by the wind, I don't do this, as she only gets soaked all over again.

Then what I do is, I will brush her, usually with a soft body brush, and after a while, she dries up!

That's what works for me and her anyway, we also use a exercise rug, but it's more for when it's cold, as she takes a long time to warm up, and often freezes very quickly.

Advertisement