Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Library...

• 06-11-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

I'm lucky, i've only ever been in the library to have somewhere quiet to do an assignment/study

Until yesterday!
    I wanted to scan some stuff onto my memory key and Lo' and behold, They charged me! I needed to buy a 3euro piece of paper card thingy just to scan stuff.

They also took units from the card because i used the scanner...

I then had to wait for 10+ minutes to get a pc to see if the stuff had actually scanned(this is the lesser of my problems)

The people there seem really nice though,
    Is it wrong to charge a student to scan a few pages onto a memory stick?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've yet to set foot in the library...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Is this gonna become the Library-based ranting thread?

I'll just post my rant in bulk

People talking in the library X 100
    Too warm in the library X 50
    Can't concentrate X 50
    People on facebook when I need to print stuff X 50

Extra supply of "WHYYYYYY CAN'T PEOPLE BE QUIET IN THE LIBRARY?!!" may be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

All can be solved by yourself!!

efla wrote: »
    All can be solved by yourself!!

But then I'd lose even more study time by asking the people to be quiet (which never works), asking the staff to turn down the heating, attempting to concentrate and complaining to the staff about the people on facebook.

When I get a good day in the library, it's a brilliant day, but when I get a bad day, it's frickin' awful, especially with people talking which isn't technically the library's problem, yet it's my biggest gripe with the place - that people don't realise that the primary purpose of the library is to provide the materials with and a space in which to study, which for the most part is done by one's self.

Challenge them, loudly in front of everyone. It works every time and they wont do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

But then I'd lose even more study time by asking the people to be quiet (which never works), asking the staff to turn down the heating, attempting to concentrate and complaining to the staff about the people on facebook.

When I get a good day in the library, it's a brilliant day, but when I get a bad day, it's frickin' awful, especially with people talking which isn't technically the library's problem, yet it's my biggest gripe with the place - that people don't realise that the primary purpose of the library is to provide the materials with and a space in which to study, which for the most part is done by one's self.

I must remember to never get on the wrong side of you :P

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I must remember to never get on the wrong side of you :P

I just get cranky. It's the same thing with the PACRs and the reading room and all the people who just obstruct other people who actually want to do some study and academic work- nobody has frickin' respect for each other at all.

It's like:
    "Ah sure there's a queue of 6 people waiting to use a computer, more than likely to look up academic stuff or moodle but I don't care because I totally have to see X's pics of the mental drunk night in Mantra last night and look at and tag myself in every single one before plowing my farm/rearranging my cafe, but I'll keep a tab open with moodle in it in case a librarian walks past"
    or
    "There's so many people in the library today, assignments must be due/exams are starting tomorrow. Hey, I'm going to talk in a semi-whisper to EVERYONE at this table but I don't give a ****e about everyone else"

You know what I mean. Think Aretha says it best

Go get drunk or have some sexy time, it's friday and you're too stressed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I hate how long it takes to print something in the library. A serious pet peeve. So easily fixed, too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've yet to set foot in the library...
    +1
    Have only been in it once this year, and only 3/4 times last year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Can you print from the laptops you borrow in the library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Can you print from the laptops you borrow in the library?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

banquo wrote: »
    I hate how long it takes to print something in the library. A serious pet peeve. So easily fixed, too!

I've only ever printed there about three times, but I've never had that problem. Is it a particular printer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Ah, the liberry, my most hated of berries.

I've never had a pleasant experience in the library mainly due to this constipated middle-aged librarian called Judith who has a fondness for pastels.

My first encounter was when she insisted on telling me that it was the third tick against my name for getting into the library without a card and after that there are no more chances and that I should really remember to bring my student card. Thanks for the heads up.

Second was when the fine thing came in and I had left my purse at home. I'm informed that it'll be a one euro fine, ehh, if I've forgotten my student card it's more than likely a consequence of forgetting my purse.

Third time took the flaming biscuit and she was there again. I was trying to get into the library with my card and the swiping just was not working. Next, I see the aforementioned flapping her hands wildly beside the gates screaming "STOP! STOP! Can't you see the light?"
    "Yeah, it's green."
    "Exactly!"
    "Green means stop?!"
    "YES!"

Right. It's no wonder I failed my driving test twice if that's the case.

And there was another unfortunate encounter at the self check out thing with her being all ratty about a fine.

Phew, I feel much better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

They should have more space for groups to work in, the ground floor doesn't have nearly enough space and is always full, if they changed it so the 2nd floor allowed quiet whispering(which tbh is what happens anyway) and 3rd floor absolutely no talking whatsoever and they actually enforced it it would be a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

They should get rid of the overpriced O'Briens 'sandwich' bar which occasionally has 2 packets of sandwiches at best. They'd be better off getting rid of that, extending the group study area and just having vending machines with sambos, chocolate, crisps and cans & a coffee/tea machine.

I also agree about this facebook thing. I think that if you want to go on facebook, fine but bring in your own laptop. I think the librarians are such pushovers, they don't inforce anything. I don't think you should even be allowed to get onto facebook or bebo, all they'd have to do is get someone from I.T. to block the sites on the library P.C.s.

And regarding the printing thing, i just print everything at home. The process of printing in there seems too time consuming and confusing for me to even ponder doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

Blonde Librarian is HOT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

I checked out two books on the self service machine thingy,however just before i swiped my card to leave the place the fcukin scanner yoke beeps out loud,as if to alarm the staff of someone robbing books.I stop,with a confuzzled look on my face lookin at the girl behind the counter thinkin WTF?!! "do you have any books in your bag there" says she,with a smirk on her face..."eh yeah?" says I,handing her over the 2 books"Can I see your receipt please?....Oh i'm sorry theres 2 barcodes on one of these books,let me fix that for you" PANIC AVERTED!

I ask her the reason why they made such a ****ty mistake when stocking the books or whatever and she gives me a petty excuse"well it's a Latin book,and it's pretty old...." or some **** like that.

What a load of arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I ask her the reason why they made such a ****ty mistake when stocking the books or whatever and she gives me a petty excuse"well it's a Latin book,and it's pretty old...." or some **** like that.

so?

Effluo wrote: »
    so?

What do you mean so?...I'm js I wasn't the one at fault,and the librarians should really prevent that sort of stuff from happening.I mean,it is slightly embarrassing to be called over upon the sound of some panic alarm thingy at a shop.The same thing applies to a library

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I'm js I wasn't the one at fault,and the librarians should really prevent that sort of stuff from happening.

It's just that everyone makes mistakes and i'd let the library away with that one.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

What do you mean so?...I'm js I wasn't the one at fault,and the librarians should really prevent that sort of stuff from happening.I mean,it is slightly embarrassing to be called over upon the sound of some panic alarm thingy at a shop.The same thing applies to a library

It's happened to me about 10 times, you get over it. And when you consider the huge job it was to re-catalogue ALL of the books in the library when it changed to self-service, I'm not surprised the librarian was dismissive of you challenging her. Like how VERY dare they make a mistake on your book! :rolleyes:

I don't mind the librarians. They seem sound enough for peoplebwho have to keep 500 teenaged quiet all day.

What bothers me us the inconsistency in computer matters between different parts of the college. YouTube works in some browsers in some places - necessary for the music student and probably a few other kinds of students. Different browsers in different places, some of which don't support google docs or other newish sites. Fast but expensive printing in pacr, cheap but almost non-existant and unpredictable printing in the library *and they could fix it so easily*. It would actually take ten seconds to fix the 'print but number not appearing, please wait up to an hour' problem with printing in the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

My favourite librarian moment ever was when we had to evacuate it last year and one of the librarians was shouting at us to leave our laptops and someone turned to her and said "shhhhh we're in a Library" I thought she might have a stroke. :)

meganj wrote: »
    My favourite librarian moment ever was when we had to evacuate it last year and one of the librarians was shouting at us to leave our laptops and someone turned to her and said "shhhhh we're in a Library" I thought she might have a stroke. :)

LOL! i can just picture it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

ARRRRRGHHH!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Shhh! You're in the library thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Shhh! You're in the library thread!!

Sorry. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

I swear im gonna go mad in a second. Any second now. Was all quiet studying away when a bunch of talkers arrived and they just will not shut up. Not even talking bout college work. Chatting away bout their drunken weekend. I really do not wanna hear it!

• Advertisement

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    I swear im gonna go mad in a second. Any second now. Was all quiet studying away when a bunch of talkers arrived and they just will not shut up. Not even talking bout college work. Chatting away bout their drunken weekend. I really do not wanna hear it!

defo! you on level 3? I think i'm right in front of the group that your on about..i'm eh munching away on an apple...lol

Nope level two. Near science section. Yeah i was eating a sandwich a second ago hope nobody got offended. Anyway the group must have read my mind cuz they got up and left. But still there is a bunch of loud whisperers dotted around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I actually need to go to the library. It's bad that I'm a final year arts student and I've been in it a total of two times all year :pac: Especially when I've an english essay due on Wednesday!

I actually need to go to the library. It's bad that I'm a final year arts student and I've been in it a total of two times all year :pac: Especially when I've an english essay due on Wednesday!

hey modernism buddy! (I dont actually know you but obviously we're in the same class!) how's your essay coming along?

We have all these threads about libraries but no one mentions books. Does the library still have books in it??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

We have all these threads about libraries but no one mentions books. Does the library still have books in it??

it does but never the ones I'm looking for! Are people hiding these books or what?!

• Advertisement

That plus it's painfully underfunded.

Oh, the music section. Lol, sirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

Funny thing happened today....

was on the third floor preppin for a history exam on widnesday(sic) when myself and my two compadres decided to go down to the group area and talk there, as we were being a little noisy for the upper floors and being concious of my fellow students didnt wanna be a nuisance, so off we went only to disocover that it was jammers. This was due to a book launch, so we retreated to the fire exit on the stairs, after 15 min we were told to move. The reason for this is we were making noise that was travelling up the stairs and causing a it was disrupting the other students....(we we're having a quiet discussion) added to this we were a fire hazard as we were in the fire exit (beacuase the fire drill is obviously to lie down and become and obstruction....). This bothered me because there was two tables being stored in the fire exit, and we were fairly quiet. But being good skulls we moved, it just so happened that when we went back to the group study area, we managed to get a table. So off we set to brainstorm, only to be told to stop talkin (repeatedly) as the guys launching there books were making speeches...... in the end i thouroughly lost heart in what i was doin......

Rant over.

All I want is a room in which I can study in silence. I sure as heck can't get it at home so it only makes sense that I would turn to the library as a place to get some silent study done. People obviously don't respect that there are other places to go and talk and gossip etc (fair play teabag for going down to the group area to talk, even if you were met with all that crap), obviously their gossip is ten times more important than when I'm trying to study for finals (and god help anyone who starts whispering/messing/talking around me when it's final time)

Warning: generalising, ranty rant ahead

In my fantasy university, there are two libraries: one is full of crappy computers for facebooking and books including "How to maximise your plowing time and tag photos in the same minute" and "Prison Break: The top 10 reasons it's more important to watch it illegally than allow that final year student to look up the JStor articles they need" as well as signs encouraging them to make as much noise as possible and posters advertising facebook groups and twitter feeds about their drunkest night in mantra evaaaaar. All the arseholes who insist on talking/facebooking/eating crisps whilst studying/going to the library with the intention of sitting around doing all of the above (ie just using it as a social space) can go here.

And then in the other library, pure and total silence, soundproofed seminar rooms and group study areas, cafe (Sure why not, we're studying in silence, we deserve it) and brand new computers with the best software on them and facebook blocked on them. Plus loads of deadly books and stuff. But the silence is the key thing here. And maybe a water fountain outside. To encourage the bliss. All the people who actually want to get some work done in silence can go here.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

hey modernism buddy! (I dont actually know you but obviously we're in the same class!) how's your essay coming along?

meh, not too great I must admit :( I just can't seem to get any of the things I want to say down on paper. And also Orlando has caused me many moments of wtf. How's yours going?
    In my fantasy university, there are two libraries: one is full of crappy computers for facebooking and books including "How to maximise your plowing time and tag photos in the same minute" and "Prison Break: The top 10 reasons it's more important to watch it illegally than allow that final year student to look up the JStor articles they need" as well as signs encouraging them to make as much noise as possible and posters advertising facebook groups and twitter feeds about their drunkest night in mantra evaaaaar. All the arseholes who insist on talking/facebooking/eating crisps whilst studying/going to the library with the intention of sitting around doing all of the above (ie just using it as a social space) can go here.

And then in the other library, pure and total silence, soundproofed seminar rooms and group study areas, cafe (Sure why not, we're studying in silence, we deserve it) and brand new computers with the best software on them and facebook blocked on them. Plus loads of deadly books and stuff. But the silence is the key thing here. And maybe a water fountain outside. To encourage the bliss. All the people who actually want to get some work done in silence can go here.

/rant

I like this idea. A lot.

Also, why when you look up a book in the library catalogue and it says there's three or four copies free, you go up upstairs to get it and the book isn't there? There must be some sort of book stealing fairy that just goes around and hides books to cause me much annoyance :mad:

meh, not too great I must admit :( I just can't seem to get any of the things I want to say down on paper. And also Orlando has caused me many moments of wtf. How's yours going?

Has me raging tbh. I wrote most of it during reading week in the (mostly) quiet library (because all the noisy regulars were off gossiping somewhere else) and now I'm really stuck, I'm lost between whether or not to focus on modernist aspects of the novel seeing as it's a modernism module aswell as gender issues (doing Q9) which is what's in my original essay but it's just not coming together now the way I had planned. :mad:

Any back on topic, library = grr.

• Advertisement

All knowledge begins and ends with moodle now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Unless you're doing mathematical physics. Not a thing on Moodle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Also, why when you look up a book in the library catalogue and it says there's three or four copies free, you go up upstairs to get it and the book isn't there? There must be some sort of book stealing fairy that just goes around and hides books to cause me much annoyance :mad:

thats whats driving me mad! Where are all these books disappearing to?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Possibly the worst idea ever to put an entire English module reading on moodle. Reading 40 page articles off a pc screen is no fun at all. My eyes, the goggles do nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Just realsied today that I'm going to lose 5% on an English essay because I submitted it late (deadline was 4pm, I submitted it at 4pm. Late apparently?) That's not the point though, the point is that I had the essay written out, only needing to be typed, and had to stand and watch in a queue in the library as three fcking ignorant fck fcks did whatever it is one fcking does on fcking farmville. Fck sake. Something must be done.:mad:

K4t wrote: »
    Just realsied today that I'm going to lose 5% on an English essay because I submitted it late (deadline was 4pm, I submitted it at 4pm. Late apparently?) That's not the point though, the point is that I had the essay written out, only needing to be typed, and had to stand and watch in a queue in the library as three fcking ignorant fck fcks did whatever it is one fcking does on fcking farmville. Fck sake. Something must be done.:mad:

I feel your pain!

That's ridiculous K4T, why didn't you tell them to get the frick off it or ask one of the librarians? If we're gonna get technical here, they were breaching the terms of use for university computers, asking them to get off it, or asking a librarian to make them get off the computer is only fair.

Can somebody explain to me why the computer centre won't block facebook like they did bebo?

Im giving up on the whole printing thing in the library cuz its just fecking ridiculous. So have decided to invest in a printer will prob turn out cheaper and easier in long run. O and also keep me sane. For a while anyway. Today i have to say though the library was much quieter today all the books i wanted were there in the right places and i actually got study done

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tuborg

here we go:
    people using up the extension plugs to use their laptops for only facebook/bebo/bored.com etc
    people not turning off the sound on their laptop's - some of the booting up sounds are ridiclous (champions league music)

the printing thing got to me so in the end i bought a printer and also if in an emergency i use PACR/Long Corridor

dont get me started on the reading room...

I imagine they'll get around to blocking facebook ten years from now at the exact moment we've all started using something next. Tis the style.

• Advertisement
Advertisement