Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Library...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Nope level two. Near science section. Yeah i was eating a sandwich a second ago hope nobody got offended. Anyway the group must have read my mind cuz they got up and left. But still there is a bunch of loud whisperers dotted around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I actually need to go to the library. It's bad that I'm a final year arts student and I've been in it a total of two times all year :pac: Especially when I've an english essay due on Wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I actually need to go to the library. It's bad that I'm a final year arts student and I've been in it a total of two times all year :pac: Especially when I've an english essay due on Wednesday!

hey modernism buddy! (I dont actually know you but obviously we're in the same class!) how's your essay coming along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

We have all these threads about libraries but no one mentions books. Does the library still have books in it??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    We have all these threads about libraries but no one mentions books. Does the library still have books in it??

it does but never the ones I'm looking for! Are people hiding these books or what?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That plus it's painfully underfunded.

Oh, the music section. Lol, sirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

Funny thing happened today....

was on the third floor preppin for a history exam on widnesday(sic) when myself and my two compadres decided to go down to the group area and talk there, as we were being a little noisy for the upper floors and being concious of my fellow students didnt wanna be a nuisance, so off we went only to disocover that it was jammers. This was due to a book launch, so we retreated to the fire exit on the stairs, after 15 min we were told to move. The reason for this is we were making noise that was travelling up the stairs and causing a it was disrupting the other students....(we we're having a quiet discussion) added to this we were a fire hazard as we were in the fire exit (beacuase the fire drill is obviously to lie down and become and obstruction....). This bothered me because there was two tables being stored in the fire exit, and we were fairly quiet. But being good skulls we moved, it just so happened that when we went back to the group study area, we managed to get a table. So off we set to brainstorm, only to be told to stop talkin (repeatedly) as the guys launching there books were making speeches...... in the end i thouroughly lost heart in what i was doin......

Rant over.

All I want is a room in which I can study in silence. I sure as heck can't get it at home so it only makes sense that I would turn to the library as a place to get some silent study done. People obviously don't respect that there are other places to go and talk and gossip etc (fair play teabag for going down to the group area to talk, even if you were met with all that crap), obviously their gossip is ten times more important than when I'm trying to study for finals (and god help anyone who starts whispering/messing/talking around me when it's final time)

Warning: generalising, ranty rant ahead

In my fantasy university, there are two libraries: one is full of crappy computers for facebooking and books including "How to maximise your plowing time and tag photos in the same minute" and "Prison Break: The top 10 reasons it's more important to watch it illegally than allow that final year student to look up the JStor articles they need" as well as signs encouraging them to make as much noise as possible and posters advertising facebook groups and twitter feeds about their drunkest night in mantra evaaaaar. All the arseholes who insist on talking/facebooking/eating crisps whilst studying/going to the library with the intention of sitting around doing all of the above (ie just using it as a social space) can go here.

And then in the other library, pure and total silence, soundproofed seminar rooms and group study areas, cafe (Sure why not, we're studying in silence, we deserve it) and brand new computers with the best software on them and facebook blocked on them. Plus loads of deadly books and stuff. But the silence is the key thing here. And maybe a water fountain outside. To encourage the bliss. All the people who actually want to get some work done in silence can go here.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

hey modernism buddy! (I dont actually know you but obviously we're in the same class!) how's your essay coming along?

meh, not too great I must admit :( I just can't seem to get any of the things I want to say down on paper. And also Orlando has caused me many moments of wtf. How's yours going?
    In my fantasy university, there are two libraries: one is full of crappy computers for facebooking and books including "How to maximise your plowing time and tag photos in the same minute" and "Prison Break: The top 10 reasons it's more important to watch it illegally than allow that final year student to look up the JStor articles they need" as well as signs encouraging them to make as much noise as possible and posters advertising facebook groups and twitter feeds about their drunkest night in mantra evaaaaar. All the arseholes who insist on talking/facebooking/eating crisps whilst studying/going to the library with the intention of sitting around doing all of the above (ie just using it as a social space) can go here.

And then in the other library, pure and total silence, soundproofed seminar rooms and group study areas, cafe (Sure why not, we're studying in silence, we deserve it) and brand new computers with the best software on them and facebook blocked on them. Plus loads of deadly books and stuff. But the silence is the key thing here. And maybe a water fountain outside. To encourage the bliss. All the people who actually want to get some work done in silence can go here.

/rant

I like this idea. A lot.

Also, why when you look up a book in the library catalogue and it says there's three or four copies free, you go up upstairs to get it and the book isn't there? There must be some sort of book stealing fairy that just goes around and hides books to cause me much annoyance :mad:

meh, not too great I must admit :( I just can't seem to get any of the things I want to say down on paper. And also Orlando has caused me many moments of wtf. How's yours going?

Has me raging tbh. I wrote most of it during reading week in the (mostly) quiet library (because all the noisy regulars were off gossiping somewhere else) and now I'm really stuck, I'm lost between whether or not to focus on modernist aspects of the novel seeing as it's a modernism module aswell as gender issues (doing Q9) which is what's in my original essay but it's just not coming together now the way I had planned. :mad:

Any back on topic, library = grr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

LeixlipRed wrote: »

All knowledge begins and ends with moodle now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

efla wrote: »

Unless you're doing mathematical physics. Not a thing on Moodle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Also, why when you look up a book in the library catalogue and it says there's three or four copies free, you go up upstairs to get it and the book isn't there? There must be some sort of book stealing fairy that just goes around and hides books to cause me much annoyance :mad:

thats whats driving me mad! Where are all these books disappearing to?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

efla wrote: »
    Possibly the worst idea ever to put an entire English module reading on moodle. Reading 40 page articles off a pc screen is no fun at all. My eyes, the goggles do nothing!

Just realsied today that I'm going to lose 5% on an English essay because I submitted it late (deadline was 4pm, I submitted it at 4pm. Late apparently?) That's not the point though, the point is that I had the essay written out, only needing to be typed, and had to stand and watch in a queue in the library as three fcking ignorant fck fcks did whatever it is one fcking does on fcking farmville. Fck sake. Something must be done.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

K4t wrote: »
    Just realsied today that I'm going to lose 5% on an English essay because I submitted it late (deadline was 4pm, I submitted it at 4pm. Late apparently?) That's not the point though, the point is that I had the essay written out, only needing to be typed, and had to stand and watch in a queue in the library as three fcking ignorant fck fcks did whatever it is one fcking does on fcking farmville. Fck sake. Something must be done.:mad:

I feel your pain!

That's ridiculous K4T, why didn't you tell them to get the frick off it or ask one of the librarians? If we're gonna get technical here, they were breaching the terms of use for university computers, asking them to get off it, or asking a librarian to make them get off the computer is only fair.

Can somebody explain to me why the computer centre won't block facebook like they did bebo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Im giving up on the whole printing thing in the library cuz its just fecking ridiculous. So have decided to invest in a printer will prob turn out cheaper and easier in long run. O and also keep me sane. For a while anyway. Today i have to say though the library was much quieter today all the books i wanted were there in the right places and i actually got study done

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tuborg

here we go:
    people using up the extension plugs to use their laptops for only facebook/bebo/bored.com etc
    people not turning off the sound on their laptop's - some of the booting up sounds are ridiclous (champions league music)

the printing thing got to me so in the end i bought a printer and also if in an emergency i use PACR/Long Corridor

dont get me started on the reading room...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I imagine they'll get around to blocking facebook ten years from now at the exact moment we've all started using something next. Tis the style.

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous K4T, why didn't you tell them to get the frick off it or ask one of the librarians? If we're gonna get technical here, they were breaching the terms of use for university computers, asking them to get off it, or asking a librarian to make them get off the computer is only fair.

Can somebody explain to me why the computer centre won't block facebook like they did bebo?
    I probably should have but then again I am only a first year and don't want to get on the wrong side of anyone! Ridiculous though that facebook isn't blocked on the library computers at least! The library is a place of learning! Farmville does not constitute learning!

Advertisement