Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will a riding pony cost me ?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for a riding pony 14.2ish for a niece of mine ,
    ideally a quiet pony with pony clubbing and maybe local show experience ,
    what kind of money are we looking at ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Try here http://www.donedeal.ie/find/horses/for-sale/Ireland/14
    usually a good place to find horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

how long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

skink wrote: »
    how long is a piece of string?

Yery enlightening ,
    I know the skys the limit when talking about a competition level pony ,
    I'm not , I'm just asking about a common or garden type pony that does what it says on the tin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

tatoo wrote: »
    Yery enlightening ,
    I know the skys the limit when talking about a competition level pony ,
    I'm not , I'm just asking about a common or garden type pony that does what it says on the tin .

i would say you could get something in the €1000-€1500 region, maybe even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Prices vary hugely from pony to pony, and even vary from region to region. The best thing would be to keep an eye on the papers and websites and see what ponies are being advertised and how much the asking price is. If there is no price, you could always try calling the vendor and having a chat with them.

Another option is to go to sales around the country, such as Goresbridge, who usually hold a monthly sale, and have a look at the ponies that are there and what they make. Get a catalogue and record the prices so that you can have a look over it when you get home that evening.

Just look out for the vendors who will try and put pressure on you to buy that day or who offer to keep a look out for a pony for you, etc. While most are fine, there are a small minority who wouldn't be the most reliable. But that's in everything, not just horses....

Maybe with the recession you might find better deals? Try looking at ads in tack shops, and notices at competitions, hunter trials, pony club competitions, etc. and see what's on offer and what the prices are like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

tatoo wrote: »
    t does what it says on the tin .

Reliable animals that would look after you (especially with ponies and kids) can sometimes cost more than flashy beasts.

A lot of these types are sold by word of mouth. You could try contacting pony club and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

The irish field newspaper is also a good one to try

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Thanks for the advice folks .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Hope you manage to find a suitable pony soon, if you've not already done so!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I'd say try riding schools. They could be a bit dearer though but if it was a known place you could be that bit more sure of what you were buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 GiantJ

It depends on age, experience, temperament and how easy the pony is to handle. Price will be less for a young animal with little done.
    <snip>

Advertisement