Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying rent by direct debit

Options
  • 06-11-2009 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My son and friend have just moved into an apartment. Between them, they've agreed that the rent should come out of my son's a/c on the 1st of every month as he gets paid monthly, on the 31st. This sounded ideal to them but the property agency have said that the rent for Jan 1st HAS to be in the account by Dec 23rd (Christmas hols etc) and if the DD fails, the property co. will charge €20 for the first failure and €50 for each subsequent failure. There's no way that the €475 needed to cover the rent, will be in my lad's acc on Dec 23rd (He's lucky if he has 4.75 at month's end!) but it will be there on Jan 1st, which is the agreed DD date.

Can anybody advise please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Whats stated in the lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like they're changing the lease terms, which they can't do. If there's nothing in the terms about being able to vary the due date, due to holidays and such, then he should tell the muppet from the property agency to go fk himself.

Tenants have rights, quite a lot in fact, so he should look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭maebee

Whats stated in the lease?

Payment to be made on the 1st day of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

maebee wrote: »
    Payment to be made on the 1st day of every month.

phone them up and tell them the lease states - payment on the 1st of the month - they will receive payment when the bank performs the direct debit and any further contact on the matter will be considered as harassment.

Might be better to email them so you will have a record of it - in the event of a dispute further down the line.

Thanks PC. Will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Put it in a letter, and either hand deliver, or send by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks PC. Will do.

Why doesn't your son do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

The only thing they might say is that 'payment' might constitute the money going into their account, as that is when they recieve payment.

We had this with out proprty letting company too. Check with 'Threshold' (www.threshold.ie) as to what exactly is implied by 'payment', is it the money going out of your sons a/c or going into theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Why are they even paying by direct debit - should they not just start a standing order for something like this? My understand is that a standing order will be performed electronically thus the holidays will have no effect on its payment reaching the Landlords account by the 1st.

I'd imagine it is a standing order. People mix them up all the time.

I just don't understand why a mammy is posting about what she needs to do to ensure her son's rent is paid on time.

Why does the son not just talk to his landlord/agency etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

amdublin wrote: »
    Why doesn't your son do it?

Will do = He will do or I will do.

I will probably do it because his bank is 2 mins walk from where I work and he's working 9-5, 10 miles away from his bank.

Will do = He will do or I will do.

I will probably do it because his bank is 2 mins walk from where I work and he's working 9-5, 10 miles away from his bank.

Will you write the letter for him as well?! :D

Seriously though. At this stage of his life it might be good life experience for him to deal with all of this himself.

anamaria wrote: »
    The only thing they might say is that 'payment' might constitute the money going into their account, as that is when they recieve payment.

We had this with out proprty letting company too. Check with 'Threshold' (www.threshold.ie) as to what exactly is implied by 'payment', is it the money going out of your sons a/c or going into theirs.

He signed a Direct Debit for the amount to be taken from his acc on the 1st of every month.

Will you write the letter for him as well?! :D

Seriously though. At this stage of his life it might be good life experience for him to deal with all of this himself.

Thanks for your helpful comments amdublin. You should think before you say such things. You know nothing about my son and you have no idea what stage of his life he is at.

You are right. I do not know. I am just assuming.

I am just assuming as he is old enough to enter into a contract (the lease) that he is over eighteen.

I am just making a suggestion that it would be a good life experience for him to deal with this himself.

After all he is an adult (assumption on my part!) and will encounter many such a sitation in life going forward.

You are right. I do not know. I am just assuming.

I am just assuming as he is old enough to enter into a contract (the lease) that he is over eighteen.

I am just making a suggestion that it would be a good life experience for him to deal with this himself.

After all he is an adult (assumption on my part!) and will encounter many such a sitation in life going forward.

She asked for advice on a lease agreement, not on parenting.

OP, get on to threshold. They can't go moving goalposts after the lease has been signed.

She asked for advice on a lease agreement, not on parenting.

OP, get on to threshold. They can't go moving goalposts after the lease has been signed.

Thank you doodles. I'll contact Threshold.

Advertisement