Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**WHACK** Take that **SMACK**

• 06-11-2009 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Robbery on Dawson Street today..

Its just been reported on the RTE news that one armed robbery is in a serious condition in Beaumont Hospital with a fractured skull :D

From the Mods and members of the Self Defence and Martial Arts forum;

"WELDONE MR JEWELLERY STORE OWNER"

FRom the RTE SIX ONE news, one robber was holding the man's wife around the neck. The Husband (shop owner) attacked and disarmed the man.

The other two cowardly bastards legged it and were caught on the street.

Can we have a round of applause for the shop owner who stood up and defended his wife, staff and livelihood please?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Sweet...just...sweet! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm just glad you didn't put that extra bloody full stop at the bottom of your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

send him a card with a link to your forum in case he needs any more advice.

or if yous needs advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

One of the two cowards who legged it was tripped up by a pedestrian on the street who saw what was happening. And the other fella is in hospital with a suspected fractured skull. GOOD STUFF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Well done Mr Jeweller. Fair play to the passerby who went after the fleeing raider as well.

Need more people with balls in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Maybe the decent people will stop allowing the minority scumbags to terrorise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

He'll be charged with assault and imprisoned.

Bloody system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

what are the chances that the criminal scumbag will take a civil action for the damages he received (excessive force et all that:P)

Suspected fractured skull - Well done Mr Jeweller Shop man !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yes we can. Well done sir, whoever you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dartz wrote: »

Bloody system.

you know he probably will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I hope that he has to wait the same six weeks for an X-ray that I had to endure.

Dartz wrote: »

Bloody system.

In defence of yourself or another person, or in defence of your own property or someone else's, you can use reasonable force. So he won't be charged or imprisoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Kernel wrote: »
    In defence of yourself or another person, or in defence of your own property or someone else's, you can use reasonable force. So he won't be charged or imprisoned.

Knowing how idiotic the Irish judicial system is, it's more than likely a fractured skull will be viewed as excessive force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Well if he had only one arm he would be easy to track down then if he got away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Real men sell jewelery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

Hootanany wrote: »
    Well if he had only one arm he would be easy to track down then if he got away

I dunno seemed to take Richard Kimble quite a while

RMD wrote: »
    Knowing how idiotic the Irish judicial system is, it's more than likely a fractured skull will be viewed as excessive force.

It's possible, but very very unlikely. The fact that the man went in to rob the owners property and grabbed his wife around the neck would give him two counts to use force. For all we know, the man was being restrained, acted out violently and cracked his skull off the ground. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Blackie93

Its just been reported on the RTE news that one armed robbery is in a serious condition in Beaumont Hospital with a fractured skull :D

Haha 'one armed robbery' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Maybe the decent people will stop allowing the minority scumbags to terrorise them.

Maybe, but probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

robber has gun to wifes' head saying "gimme all the jewels or i shoot..."
    maybe the jewellery shop owner wasn't too fond of his wife :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

If you're reading this Mister Jeweller, I hope you know what you are. You're a great big hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spylon

PCPhoto wrote: »
    what are the chances that the criminal scumbag will take a civil action for the damages he received (excessive force et all that:P)

Now that is something that would be worth protesting against. I would take to the streets to defend the jeweller's right to crack skulls.

He sounds like a diamond geezer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

What time did this happen, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Macho ...macho man.... I wanna be a macho man!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I had to read that like six times before I realised you mis-spelled something.

Fair play to the jewellery guy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fago_25 wrote: »
    I had to read that like six times before I realised you mis-spelled something.

Six times!.. Wow!.

Your probably dyslexic, like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

And there I was thinking this thread was about Robbie Williams drug habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

The Jeweller fought back?

Must have been a chain reaction, ey, ey?

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Well done that man.

And the other people who assisted.

Now they need to change the law so that there should never even be a question of someone like that shop keeper being charged.

I think the law has some stupid line that " If you have a chance to retreat and dont this will be considered aganist you".

Personally i think that unless it is a very literal "It was them or me" anything short of intentionally killing them is relative fair game.

If you break in to someone elses place to harm or steal you forfeit your rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

Maybe it was The Citizen....!

That's brilliant! I'd be too scared! Go dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Perfect well done to the jeweler, and the passer by.

Love the story.

Funny felling i'd have **** myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ManBurger

I hope he dies from his injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

What a golden story. That shop owner is a real gem, Worth his weight in gold. He should have kicking the robber in the jewels for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

Excessive force is excessive force if we revert back to the laws of the jungle and take the law into our own hands we just become like the robbers.
    This guy was probably just trying to finance a drug habit or trying to pay off a drug debt.
    For those that read this and snort a little bit of charlie or smoke a bit of dope in your nice middle class lives, you are only a few short steps removed from these guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

jerry2623 wrote: »
    Excessive force is excessive force if we revert back to the laws of the jungle and take the law into our own hands we just become like the robbers.
    This guy was probably just trying to finance a drug habit or trying to pay off a drug debt.
    For those that read this and snort a little bit of charlie or smoke a bit of dope in your nice middle class lives, you are only a few short steps removed from these guys

lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can't help but think the shop owner is an idiot who put his wife and himself in even more danger, seeing as the 'robbers' had a shotgun!

But I'd still buy him a pint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A serious kudos to the shop owner.

I'm really glad he didn't end up a dead hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Love it.. Takes a brave man to do something like this. I think id have frozen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ManBurger wrote: »
    I hope he dies from his injuries

I hope not for the jewelers sake coz then he'll be accountable for murder or manslaughter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Just realeased as NEWS FLASH on RTE - the raiders were Biffo, Hungry Jaws Minister O'Donoghue & mathematician minister Brian Lenihan - still trying to rob the public eh....but we got u this time :D

Well done to Mr Myagi in the jewellers, but not always such a wise option, just when its a happy ending like today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

****ing amateurs. Most of these scumbags are as thick as two short planks, it's good to see people challenging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It's possible, but very very unlikely. The fact that the man went in to rob the owners property and grabbed his wife around the neck would give him two counts to use force. For all we know, the man was being restrained, acted out violently and cracked his skull off the ground. ;)
    The problem is with "reasonable force" in ireland is it's not you who decides, It's a judge sitting on his pretty bench and holding a little gavel that decides if what you did was reasonable.
    Say for instance once the man was disarmed and on the ground, if cctv catches the shop owner hitting the man on the ground a judge could call that excessive force.

Also the pedestrian who got the fleeing thief could be done for assault as the thief was retreating, thus no longer a danger.

Thus proving that Irish law is ****e and sometimes texas can be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

jerry2623 wrote: »

Oh the humanity! Your first post on Boards as well. May I be the first to tell you that it's gonna be a rocky road from here on in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

If only McNally was about he could've shot them in the back as they legged it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iluvlamp

Would we still be giving him a round of applause if he had of gotten blasted in the face possibly his wife too? Thankfully this wasnt a tale of have a go hero gets shot dead...but i recall a post office worker chasing after a culprite who then turned round and shot the worker dead at point blank range. Some things arent worth it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

How were the two fellas who legged it cowards for doing so? What else were they supposed to do? Wait for the cops to show up and fight their way out of it? The objective of armed robbery is actually to get away with the robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

If only McNally was about he could've shot them in the back as they legged it!

McNally :rolleyes:

attempt at cleverness gone horribly wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Jello wrote: »
    One of the two cowards who legged it was tripped up by a pedestrian on the street who saw what was happening. And the other fella is in hospital with a suspected fractured skull. GOOD STUFF!

Was tripped up by a passing motorist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Fair f*cks to the jeweller! Heres hoping the courts don't turn him into the criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Guaranteed a civil case will be brought against the shop owner ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement