Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to cut the lawn?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Sorry to pop up here just to ask a stupid question. Is it too late in the year to cut my lawn. It was cut a few weeks ago and its now gettin a bit on the long side. Could i cut it now one last time for the winter just to make it a bit neater. Its a large lawn in the country side with not much shelter if that has any bearing on an answer.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

If its dry enough, it will be ok, just don't cut it too low. Would love to cut mine but ground is far too soft, would leave tyre marks all over the shop.

secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's not a problem at the moment but don't cut if frost is likely..

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Thanks for the replies. I'll watch the forecast and see what happens. I had a perfect opertunity last weekend and was afraid to cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I cut 9 lawns this week !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I cut mine for the last time last week but kept the blades fairly high, in fact I never set the blades lower than the medium setting as scalping grass will encourage the growth of moss. Where I live, the ground is naturally damp due to heavy clay soil and thus poor drainage but my neighbours cut their grass practically down to the soil and then they b1tch that their lawns are covered in moss (in fact its practically all moss).

So if you cut the grass too low, you'll encourage the growth of moss which will be a b1tch to eradicate once it gets hold. Longer grass in the wintertime prevents light getting to the damp soil where moss lies and thus it won't grow well, if at all, in the shade.

• Advertisement

We were taught the opposite. Moss thrives on moisture. If you leave the grass long it never dries out & that encourages moss. If you look at professional areas of grass like pitches, tennis courts etc they never let the grass grow too long. Wimbledon is cut twice a week till December & then once a week till Feb. Moss does not like direct sun which is why it grows best under trees.

This time of year you need to remove the build up of thatch that retains moisture & get some light/warmth to the roots. Good time to apply an Autumn feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

There is merit in both arguments. Some moss will grow better in short grass, some in long and I've often seen moss growing in direct sunlight 365 days a year. The problem, IMO, is that people treat the symptoms and not the cause.
    Moss grows best where drainage is poor and grass is weak. Improve the drainage and feed the grass at least twice a year and you should have no problems.

One problem that is ignored is that moss loves acidic soils & grass does not. Out here in Bogland you can pretty much guarantee that if there is a moss patch on the lawn that there is a big lump of rock under it.

I have a English Honda Pro Roller mower with five height settings. Imagine the settings as 1 being the lowest & 5 the highest. In England I would usually be cutting on 2 or 1 whereas in Ireland it is either 3 or 4. Irish lawns are rarely even enough to cut any lower - even after a few rolls with my 65 kilo mower !

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

So i take it from the above that i won't be doing any harm to newly sown lawn, which has yet to be cut, if i cut it during any relatively dry period. I sowed the grass in Sept and have been letting it grow and appears good, thick and strong now (apart from a few barren patches which i'll probably just live with until spring and sow fresh seeds then.

I just need to roll the lawn before i cut it (i think)...

Will it dry out ? !. I wouldn't roll it first as you will just flatten it & compress the soil which is not a good idea right now. New grass tends not to have as much rigidity. I would mow it in a fairly high setting to avoid scalping & stones. Also it is a good idea with new grass to sharpen the mower first. Then roll it in the Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A spray of WD40 under the lawnmower and collection box helps as well if the grass isn't as dry as you'd like.

Interesting idea. Us Pros have tried all sorts of methods to stop mower decks clogging with grass. I know one guy who used anti foul boat paint, one who used a silicone spray & even old engine oil !.

I have heard some good reports re WD & some not so good. I have some grass to cut tomorrow so I will give it a try. The real decider is the design of the deck. Some mowers are much better than others with wet grass. Etesia's are incredible & collect every blade but they are expensive. Rover's are also pretty good.

Most machines have a rear axle that causes a rise in the shoot that catches the clippings. Etesia's have stub axles with chains to an upper driveshaft so there is nothing to stop the grass going into the collector.

One trick is to blow any leaves onto the lawn first as they tend not to stick & keep the deck clean.

Advertisement